97 R50 Pathfinder- Building the dream

Allof75

Pathfinder
Hmm, tough choices! Would it be possible to put the pathy on blocks for a bit, and just keep it as the hard-core 'wheeler? If it became really extreme, I'm sure the 4runner could tow it. Then you'd have the trail runner, and a nicer and more comfortable 4runner for every day business.
If it were my money, that's what I'd do, but it isn't of course. :sombrero:

OR you could sell the 4runner and use the proceeds for the projects on the others/the one you keep.
I would suggest keeping the 4runner though, I have a soft spot for them, and they look epic with all the ExPo goodies on them. Quite capable I'd imagine, and with some nicer modern touches than the 3rd gen, or frankly the other two rigs. Tough decisions.

A great problem to have though! :elkgrin:

Lecoq

Explorer
Lately I've really been wanting a V8 SUV. Now I have 2...

4Runner is definitely the better choice for a daily driver and family vehicle. But it can't do this:

5748230082_large.jpg

I'll give it some thought for a little bit and make up my mind. I might end up keeping two but that would be more of a hassle in terms of parking, extra insurance and the fact that I would have to maintain 2 vehicles on top of the wife's van.

Janseman

Observer
Sell the van, let your wife drive the 4runner as is.

Sell the pathfinder and use the money to build up the jeep. I'll buy your sliders...50 bucks? Haha

Lecoq

Explorer
We're gonna sell the van and buy another one. I'll daily drive the 4Runner for a bit and see how I like it. Meanwhile the Jeep should be done in a week or two. It'll give me time to figure things out.

How many months do you want to pay $50 for? 12? lol

stioc

Expedition Leader
As hard as it is to say this but given the choices and your plans to build a hard core rig I would build the Jeep for trail use and keep the 4Runner as a daily driver.

Lecoq

Explorer
As hard as it is to say this but given the choices and your plans to build a hard core rig I would build the Jeep for trail use and keep the 4Runner as a daily driver.

That's what most of my friends are saying. I'm leaning towards that solution but I'm having a hard time justifying shuffling cars at home, extra insurance and maintenance on 2 vehicles. Not to mention that it's really hard for me to keep any vehicle stock. Most likely I'd end up with 2 truck builds at the same time, which would be bitter sweet (I'm married)...:coffee:

tbscan

How much would you be letting your pathfinder go for if you were to sell it?

I just bought a 97 pathfinder klondike (almost identical to yours) with low KMs and super clean, I was planning on building it much like yours (stioc led me here) but then I got into some trouble so now I'm very short for cash and my dreams of having my pathfinder lifted with nice tires for the summer is rapidly dwindling away. With that being said I'm debating on selling it and buying something that has already had work done to it (whether it's a pathfinder or something else) in order to save money.

Just spitballing here..

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
That's what most of my friends are saying. I'm leaning towards that solution but I'm having a hard time justifying shuffling cars at home, extra insurance and maintenance on 2 vehicles. Not to mention that it's really hard for me to keep any vehicle stock. Most likely I'd end up with 2 truck builds at the same time, which would be bitter sweet (I'm married)...:coffee:

Let the better half drive the 4runner and buy yourself a fun/inexpensive car that's also good on gas mileage. It's the best setup I've had. Then you have the 4Runner in case you need to tow your broken Heep back or take a fun family adventure trip, keep the wife happy and have your trail rig and your fun on the street as well. You're a VW guy an Audi A4/S4 will do nicely ;)

Lecoq

Explorer
I'd let it go for $4000. That would include suspension, wheels, tires and the truck.

I'll most likely be moving the compressor, Rigid lights, Kenwood deck and roof box to my next truck. The sliders are still up in the air on whether I'm leaving them on the truck or taking them off.

Lecoq

Explorer
Let the better half drive the 4runner and buy yourself a fun/inexpensive car that's also good on gas mileage. It's the best setup I've had. Then you have the 4Runner in case you need to tow your broken Heep back or take a fun family adventure trip, keep the wife happy and have your trail rig and your fun on the street as well. You're a VW guy an Audi A4/S4 will do nicely ;)

RS4 would be nice...but that's just dreaming for now. I tried to get the wife to keep the 4Runner but she's stuck on wanting another minivan. I can't blame her, both of our families live in different parts of the country. So we do need a van when anyone comes and visit.

Rebelord

Semper Fi
Wow! Nice build. Read the thread, and read that it may be leaving.
Before it goes. Can you take good pics of how you mounted the rock sliders? I like the aftermarket ones available but yours just look awesome!
Has me thinking...

Lecoq

Explorer
I'll take some pics later this week. It's fairly simple. 4inch plates are welded to the frame and the sliders are welded to it with gussets.

I'm sad about letting it go but unfortunately can't keep everything. Time to move on to something newer...with more power.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Well dang...it sucks that you have to let go of the Pathy but life is about finding the balance that works for you. You had a good run with the Pathy however, if there are options that are better suited to your needs then why not.

You should be able to move some of the equipment to your new truck(s) (lights, compressor etc) and the rest you shouldn't have any problems selling with the truck or separately.

Lecoq

Explorer
I've taken everything off the Pathfinder except for lift and wheels/tires. All the rest will be transferred to the 4Runner this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy