99' XJ: Slowly Going Down Under.

MCObray

Explorer
Before posting, I want to make clear that all pictures were either taken at a STATE PARK or on PRIVATE PROPERTY.

I was fortunate enough to bring along my Jeep to my girlfriend's dad best friends house. It was a beautiful piece of property. Trails were tight though so we were mostly on some crazy Japanese 4x4 or Kawasaki Mule DIESEL! It was a blast so without further a due, here are some pictures:
...Trail Ready?
DSC03082.jpg

@Fort Rock:
DSC03049.jpg

DSC03047.jpg

DSC03039.jpg

@Hole in the Ground:
DSC03024.jpg

DSC03027.jpg

XJ:
DSC03016.jpg

DSC03072.jpg

DSC03029.jpg

DSC03069.jpg

DSC03067.jpg
DSC03018.jpg

DSC03078.jpg

DSC03044.jpg

MCObray

Explorer
Standard cluster gauges. No more dummy gauges!!!
IMG_20110820_162614.jpg

The mileage on the full cluster reads: 155,288.
The TRUE mileage of the Jeep is 102,714.
Just a few updates. Wanted to stop looking at the ugly-ness of my steering wheel so I bought a cover for it.
Before:
securedownload-7-1.jpg

After:
securedownload-10.jpg

securedownload-9.jpg

securedownload-1-5.jpg

MCObray

Explorer
OME D22XL AAL to handle the rear when loaded:
securedownload-8-1.jpg

securedownload-1-4.jpg

securedownload-6-1.jpg

Got the D22XL OME AALs installed, as well as a brand new set of 30x9.5x15 BFG T/A KOs All Terrains!:
DSC03114.jpg

DSC03113.jpg

DSC03109.jpg

DSC03108.jpg

DSC03111.jpg

DSC03110.jpg

DSC03116.jpg

DSC03125.jpg

DSC03120.jpg

Last edited:

MCObray

Explorer
Was VERY VERY close to pulling the trigger on this bad-boy... This is what I really want:
Screenshot2011-09-09at94213PM.png

Few good pics from when I was stock:
(Not trying to flex... I promise).
StrobinTheJeepcopy.jpg

Looking into downtown Salem.
StrobinTheJeep2copy.jpg

MCObray

Explorer
Okay so I ended up selling the JCR Gas Tank Skid plate to a member on CherokeeForum. Nice guy, who will actually put it to use. I ended up receiving a partial trade as well on a Mopar Factory Front Skid Plate that i'll end up using. Kept the JCR Nut Strips so i'll be using those when I go to install the GTS.
GOPR1413-1.jpg

GOPR1416.jpg

A few days before that I picked up a Mopar Factory Front Skid Plate.
GOPR1428-1.jpg

*Took a trip down to Nor-Cal. XJ performed flawlessly on the highway... Temperature always stayed the same while cutting through the mountains. I would've have liked to do some exploring were I was, but it was a family trip so I still had a blast!

Keizer, OR to Auburn, CA:
Total miles traveled: 1049.7 Miles.
Total amount of money spent on gas: $216

A few pics:
GOPR1567.jpg

GOPR1692.jpg

GOPR1755.jpg

GOPR1764.jpg

GOPR1803.jpg

GOPR1806.jpg

GOPR1819.jpg

Mileage: 104,512

MCObray

Explorer
Wow! Nice clean Jeep!!

Bummer about the OME lift, that was a great score! But it's good to see you have your priorities in order! (Family first)

Thanks Bill. It was a bummer at the time because I was so close to installing it, but as you can see... things have worked out even better!

MCObray

Explorer
Okay so that brought all yall up to speed till this day. Now I am certainly heading towards the direction of a capable expedition/overlanding rig. Here are a few things that I want to pick up for the Jeep:
Realistically:
AJs Super RockRails
T-Case Skid Plate (Skid-Row or JCR)
IPF Driving Lights
CB Radio
ARB Bull Bar for a 97-01 XJ.
Warn Winch to get into the Bull Bar.
Future:
Bump up the suspension an 1" or 1.5" once the tires wear out (ACOS Spacer, HD OME Leaf Springs, JKS Shackle, OME Long Travel Shocks, etc.)
Upgrade Steering components.
AA/SYE
ARB Roof Top Tent
ARB Front & Rear Lockers
ARB Compressor

Currently with full tank of gas, this is my suspension height from Hub to Flare:
Front height: 19.75'
Rear height: 20.75'

It's still a learning process for me and I usually do all my work with my friends or Grandpa. I enjoy the hardships & rewards that my Jeep brings and cannot wait to tackle some more terrain whenever I can!

I'll make sure to keep yall posted.

Last edited:

Bikemobile

Adventurer
Nice xj. Ive been looking for a clean 98-99 to replace my zr2 pickup. I found a nice one in slc utah. What do you think about the part time/full time 4x4 option on these?

MCObray

Explorer
Beautiful XJ.

Thank you. I appreciate the comment.

Nice xj. Ive been looking for a clean 98-99 to replace my zr2 pickup. I found a nice one in slc utah. What do you think about the part time/full time 4x4 option on these?

I would definitely shoot for a 99' XJ if I were you. They usually have a HP Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25, which IMO is the best factory axle combo you can get.
I believe the part time/full time option is the NP242 T-Case. I heard it's a good T-Case if you live in snowy terrain, but honestly the aftermarket support is not there. I believe it would a good $100-$200 dollars additionally for a AA/SYE, as compared to the NP-231 T-Case. It's still a good T-Case and probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but just expect that if you lift it and plan on doing an AA/SYE that you'll have to shed out a little more $ for the AA/SYE combo.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal