A 1/2 Ton In The Making

Ala5ka

VX'er
I have this 2002 F150 FX4 that I am probably not going to do a whole lot of long expedition type stuff other than small 300 mile jumps around Cali, and camping on the weekends. The longest regular trip is from AZ to CA once every other month. I have some ideas for what I want to do but they always seem to change so I was wondering what you guys thought? I am on a limited budget but after the holidays it looks like I will have a new set of BFG's on there.
My Plans:
Rock sliders
Rhino lined rocker panels
a few roof mounted lights and backup lights
What else do I need?

*Notice* current truck does not have tube steps (ripped off in Calico) or black crawler rims (Didn't like them) does have daylighters, but I want lightforce for the front and mount daylighters on the roof behind the cab

DSC_0463.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0059-1.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Glass fenders, bigger/taller tires, no-lift more travel suspension system, and a hidden front winch. Sprinkle with some ARB lockers and new gears, perhaps a 9" rear diff upgrade. Also don't forget a nice light aluminum front skidplate for the IFS.

D

Deleted member 9101

Well since it seems to be your daily driver and you are on budget..

Electric cooling fan- gives ya more "pep" and MPG

Larger tranny cooler

Rear locker?

Recovery points front and rear

Rack on top of camper shell to hold gear so you can sleep in the camper shell.

P 285's... really makes it look more like a truck.

I had a 1996 Ex cab 4 x 4 F-150...Loooved it.. probably never should have sold it. I ran 285 Firestone Destination M/T's and it would go just about anywhere I pointed it.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Well since it seems to be your daily driver and you are on budget..

Electric cooling fan- gives ya more "pep" and MPG

Larger tranny cooler

Rear locker?

Recovery points front and rear

Rack on top of camper shell to hold gear so you can sleep in the camper shell.

P 285's... really makes it look more like a truck.

I had a 1996 Ex cab 4 x 4 F-150...Loooved it.. probably never should have sold it. I ran 285 Firestone Destination M/T's and it would go just about anywhere I pointed it.

Ditto on these recommendations for a daily driver on a budget.

Ala5ka

VX'er
How do I go about adding recovery points? I have a ranch hand bumper guard and even though it may not be the best I really like it.
Also I have a tranny cooler but I will be adding a tranny temp gauge to monitor it.
I'm also looking at rear lockers but I already have limited slip, I don't want to tear up tires so I need to go with something that can disengage, but they cost alot.
I looked into a troyer electric fan upgrade and wow $425.
What type of rack should I go with on the top or should I fab my own?
I will hopefully be fabbing those rock sliders in the next month, and BFG's will be on after Christmas, I can fit up to 35's but should I go that high? There are 265's on it now but they got no "meat." Thanks for the ideas guys.

D

Deleted member 9101

How do I go about adding recovery points? I have a ranch hand bumper guard and even though it may not be the best I really like it.
Also I have a tranny cooler but I will be adding a tranny temp gauge to monitor it.
I'm also looking at rear lockers but I already have limited slip, I don't want to tear up tires so I need to go with something that can disengage, but they cost alot.
I looked into a troyer electric fan upgrade and wow $425.
What type of rack should I go with on the top or should I fab my own?
I will hopefully be fabbing those rock sliders in the next month, and BFG's will be on after Christmas, I can fit up to 35's but should I go that high? There are 265's on it now but they got no "meat." Thanks for the ideas guys.

Recovery points can be as simple as hooks bolted to the frame, but I am sure others will chime in with much better ways.

The temp gauge is always a good thing to have, and a larger tranny cooler will do nothing but help. Off roading creates a lot of heat with an automatic transmission. On my last 4 x 4 I has a 30,000 pound tranny cooler and a 10" electric fan on a switch. When I was off roading or towing in town I would turn the fan on and the temp would never rise.

If you already have a LSD, then a locker can wait. I prefer the electric ones since you don't have to worry about an air line..but they are all good products.

For the electric fan, just build your own set up, its very easy. Just get a fan from from Summit racing, or Jegs and the relay s to control it. Cost 150.00-200. I wanna say on my F-150 I was able to fit two 12" fans on the radiator... but I don't remember exactly. It also helps your A/C blow colder when you are crawling in traffic.

If you can make your own basket, go for it. That way you get exactly what you want. But the pre-fabbed ones are good too. I have seen racks made out of 4-wheeler ramps that end up pretty light and sweet looking. Just keep everything low profile so it dosen't kill your gas mileage.

I had 285's on my F-150 and they filled up the wheel wells nice. Here is the only pic I have of it right now... looked good, and didn't suck too much power.

P7290005.jpg

Ala5ka

VX'er
Right now I'm considering some options on the roof rack but the way my truck sits parking garages and I don't get along. If I put the big tires on and a roof rack (thinking just a platform) I should fit with nothing on it. How do I go about mounting the rack, I have no gutters. Are 285 the biggest I should go I have the front lifted about 2inches and an add a leaf to bring the back up. I know I want some travel but how much do I "need."

Ala5ka

VX'er
Bilstein HD shocks going in today, add a leaf to raise up the back next. Alignment on the T-bar cranks maybe today. Tires, roof mounted lights and front floods hopefully over the Christmas holiday. If I get really ambitious might try the roof rack. Pics as soon as I get things rolling :)

Ala5ka

VX'er
So I got the shocks on, they were a pain in the a**, turns out the HD shocks don't compress as easy as the regular ones haha. The old Ranchos would'nt even return to their starting position after compressed. Started to wire in the tranny temp gauge but I can't find a spot to put the probe in. I don't feel very comfortable cutting coolant lines. Turns out the previous owner added a huge tranny cooler (as big as the main radiator) and an intercooler :) Pulling the skid plate off to sand and repaint, I'm thinking a sporty red. Found some places where there used to be front light tabs so I will be adding some trick tabs and rewiring the lights properly. can't wait to afford those HIDs for the front. Over the holidays I plan to install an add a leaf, get the new BFG's, and rhino line the rocker panels (should I do it myself or pay for the warranty?) I might also try my hand at a roof platform probably just on the camper shell, I'm thinking a modified ATV ramp (thanks for the tip.) I do have a Limited Slip Diff so the locker will have to wait till the very end. Plus I have fatty tow points on the front, and I'm working out a way to add them to the back. Here's some shocks pics if you care to see, the gauge I'm using, and where it might go.

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

Ala5ka

VX'er
Just went for a little drive and I could have sworn something was wrong, the suspension felt "doughy" those shocks absorbed every single bump and the tail end of that truck has never felt nicer

Ala5ka

VX'er
after tires, rocker panels, rock sliders, add a leaf and lights I have my sights set on a RTT. I think the .5 ton will be quite capable at that point, not serious crawling but overlanding just fine :elkgrin:

D

Deleted member 9101

Right now I'm considering some options on the roof rack but the way my truck sits parking garages and I don't get along. If I put the big tires on and a roof rack (thinking just a platform) I should fit with nothing on it. How do I go about mounting the rack, I have no gutters. Are 285 the biggest I should go I have the front lifted about 2inches and an add a leaf to bring the back up. I know I want some travel but how much do I "need."

I had the 285's on mine being bone stock, and I don't remember any rubbing so I woudl imagine you are fine.

As for the rack... if it was me I would just bolt it directly to the camper shell and use the biggest washers I can find. No reason to have it mounted 4" above the shell and waste all that space.

Ala5ka

VX'er
just added the switch panel that controls front floods and tranny temp gauge light with two open switches for the rest of the lights later, I kind of butchered the plastic where I mounted it so I'll get a scrapyard replacement and try again when I have access to more than a drill and a hacksaw blade.

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rebis