A 1/2 Ton In The Making

Got Beer

Observer
Thanks for documenting your build. Please keep us updated. This is giving me some ideas for my 2001 F150 crew cab.

I like your idea for a self-built and simple roof rack, but check around on some of the store bought or examples of others. You mentioned roof lights as a goal. There are some nice designs that incorporate both roof light mounts and some protection.

One thing I have been kicking around is a contractor's lumber rack as a base and then attaching a platform. I have seen some racks that are made to mount around and over a shell. Having even a few inches of lip around the platform will help steady loads and keep cargo up there. The lip also gives you a place to mount your rear facing lights and to attach an awning. I have always thought of something something sturdy enough to let me sleep up there. My weekend expeditions are in the desert and getting off the ground from the crawlies is nice; the nights are usually pleasant enough to allow open air sleeping and stargazing.

D

Deleted member 9101

I like the witch panel? I built one for mine, and put it in the space under my radio.

WJ88MJames

Looking good. Glad to see another FX4 on here. I have an 02 SCAB FX4 Im running 285x70x17 BFG KM2 on the stock FX4 wheels and it rubs on the right front. Trimed the front valnace about 1/2 inch and no more rubbing. Deffently get a good AT or MT. I love my KM2's I can not say anything bad about them. I make further in 2WD then my friends make in 4-Hi. Invest in a Hi-lift can't beat it plus if it comes down to it you can use it to pull yourself out. Takes time but its a worst case. If you have a tow package you can get a decent D-ring attachment that slides in it. For some wierd reason I don't have the LSD so I will be going with a selectable locker here soon. Havn't decided on OX or ARB. Either way its $800 just for the parts. I also added an Edge Evo CS best $400ish I spent brought the truck to life. Plus it gave me a Trans Temp gage. It also lets you monitor many others.

Ala5ka

VX'er
Those are the same exact tires I want to put on my truck. Just wondering your's is a 4x4 right? Where do the D-rings "slide in?" I want a hi-lift but I don't know what points to use to do any lifting. Thanks for the input guys, today is light tabs and properly mount the Daylighters so they don't bounce. Glad to see other guys with the 97-03 F series.

Ala5ka

VX'er
Quick update, got the skid plate off and repainted, and a bad look at where the switch panel went. I banged a nice dent out of the plate, I was surprised that its 1/4 inch plate which is reassuring. Now for rocker panels rhino lined, tires, rack and remount lights, also instal an add a leaf, anyone know a good add a leaf I was thinking procomp?

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Ala5ka

VX'er
I just found rear differential armor that fits my 9.75 axle, look out small to medium sized rocks

F16086.jpg

that ones going on the Christmas list, and for only $155 it sounds like a sure thing

Ala5ka

VX'er
well I think that I'm going to go with a lighter color on the suspension pieces because I can, but you can't beat the factory color for durability. I know the gloss black gets crazy dirty and shows every scratch but I don't need to be messing with a good thing. Front shocks came in today, pulled the rusty front tow points and replaced them with bigger red ones, I have huge red D rings under the front bumper now. I'll be taking a trip to AZ tomorrow where I will hopefully get my new tires, maybe rocksliders, and some more camping stuff. After that I'll be taking a trip to Calico near Vegas on the 1st and do some light trails and camp while we are there. My brother just picked up a monster lifted Titan and I want to school him on the finer points of recovery and trail rides

Ala5ka

VX'er
Got to AZ and picked up some black rims and some 285 BFG's, picking up some metal and the welder today to pull together a roof rack and maybe rocksliders, I'll post pics of what happens over the next few days

Ala5ka

VX'er
I put the rims, BFG's, and took the camper off to clean the back window, I couldn't help but do a terrible little flex, I forgot I also moved the front Daylighters closer together and built better light tabs.

IMG_0109.jpg
[/IMG]​

Ala5ka

VX'er
It's been a while but here is what I have done this week
1.roof rack
2.hella roof lights
3.backup lights
4.shovel and axe mount
5.re-run switches with heavy-duty conduit wrap and new relays
6.got new waterproof bags, indoor heater for cap, cook wear, and misc. camping stuff
7.carbon monoxide detector in cap

next week
1.rock sliders
2.CB
3.what else do I need?

Here are the pics of the rack build and what the truck looks like as is currently

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg