A 1/2 Ton In The Making

Ala5ka

VX'er
yeah I did the carpet myself, my father is an upholsterer and so he's taught me over the past 15 years or so, carpet is an easy cover, stretchy and forgiving

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
you have straps galore!

i know nothing is as cheap as doing it yourself but have you considered putting your stuff on sliders? i just know how much of a pain in the *** it is for someone as lazy as me (though perfectly physically capable) to crawl up in the back under a topper just to unstrap something i only need for a second.

Ala5ka

VX'er
Two points to counter yours, I didn't think of it, and I'm young so my knees can still take it hahaha

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
hey im younger than you, and im fairly fit - but that doesnt mean i like to exert myself! :xxrotflma

Ala5ka

VX'er
i get that, are you really younger than me? I might go over my $100 budget if I add any more metal pieces.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i found the easiest way to alot yourself more money for a project you're working on is to seperate the project. you already finished your project, this is a different one. you accomplished the first one for less than $100! :)

but yes, i am. im still in my very early 20's.

Ala5ka

VX'er
I'm 21, so I don't think you could be too much younger :) I like your ideas about projects, My up and coming ones are sliders, and rear bumper but I have to get ahold of some shop space for a day or so and metal working tools, Saturdays don't work because I have rugby so maybe in the next coming wednesday hmmm

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
just turned 21 - but my efficiency in tactical laziness is that of a 45 year old man

there is a lot you learn about durability and making a LOT of big **** fit into a tiny space with Jeeps. its unfortunate that many of the ideas of the Jeep world are only limited in their port to full size vehicles. rarely are they properly executed past older rovers and land cruisers. granted, a full size pickup isnt going to be playing cat and mouse in the rocks like a Jeep will, but it doesnt mean you need to use crappy suspension components or not reinforce the armor underneath. another thing that i dislike is the excessive use of steel for armor - its too bad that people havnt learned the merits of 6060-T6 aluminum yet. if you ever want another side of the story on some idea that you have, im always open for creative criticism. generally inside an idea of mine, there is one very small nearly worthless kernel that can help :)

rugby is so ************

you could probably build fairly durable slide set for fairly cheap. this is kind of a shot in the dark so you can get an idea. but you could get a set of drawer slides from lowes, i think they range from 15-20 bucks a slide for the heavy duty ones. secure those with angle aluminum (sold in hardware near the glass cutter) for very cheap. i think a 6 foot stick of 1.5" wide angle aluminum is something like 9-10 bucks. then you could make a "table" out of MDF (id seal it so it doesnt warp with moisture) to set your cooler and whatever else on.

however, because you're putting leverage against your table you put in your bed, you'd have to secure it some way, otherwise it'll start moving around.

just an idea

Ala5ka

VX'er
Right now I'm trying to procure some welding space and fab a rear bumper and sliders, I yanked off the front plastic and plan to add a hefty skid plate to cover the lower radiators. I'm glad to have inspired some people and gotten a few more F-150 on the ExPo band wagon. I've also been towing with more undercarriage protection as well a a Slip Yoke Eliminator, I want to get my hands on some extra front axles to swap out if need be.

Ala5ka

VX'er
Took some pics today so far the only ones I have that show the lift

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman