A 109 for sale

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I´ve seen this car in person, sat in it, and looked around quite extensively, its amazing. Cooper technica is also an amazing shop.

It´s worth every penny.. .. to the right buyer.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
It seems way overpriced for what it is. I'd sooner see it priced like that if it were an actual restoration, which it isn't.
But for just a custom built 109? No, IMO the "right buyer" would have to be an ignorant buyer. Someone ignorant of Land Rover values.

Viggen

Just here...
mass produced using a robotics assembly line vs hand built, but look @ ebay Uk its not just a us phenom. Disco's are cheap as chips in the Uk as well.

I don't know why I had to have my first 110-I just had to have it. Then the disease took root...
Having spent time in the Uk and driven all over the country from Inverness to Southampton the majority of Uk residents seem to agree with you. There aren't that many rovers on the road there. Most of what you see are very small econo box's. The cost of fuel and taxes are rediculous.

I realize that you import/ sell Rovers so I hope nothing was taken in offense as I personally know a couple of people who have purchased/ dealt with you and have totally positive things to say. That being said, I dont think that the Defenders are "hand built" but achieve these ridiculous asking prices because they arent as readily available as of yet. Get a CJ or YJ, rust it out like a typical for sale "1985" D90, and they will laugh all day at a $4k selling price, let alone one at $14k. I really hope that as the years pass, these prices will come down as I would love to get my hands on a 3 door 110. They arent the most comfortable (being 6'4" my head seems to hit the door/ window frame often) but they are just so damn cool. Until then, a comfortable, air conditioned, flexy Disco for half the money is the way to go.

That being said, the money for this is huge and I agree that it will be bought by someone who will use it as their beach truck in the Hamptons or something like that. Itll never see actual use.

disco 03

I, too have seen that Rover. Dual ignition set-up, full roll cage, this thing was stripped to the core and re-assembled for a guy who wanted to drive around Africa or somewhere and use it as a photo rig. The sunroof pop-ups can hold a full grown man. the list on that Rover is pretty extensive. As Matt said, the right price for someone, but imho not a 2 bit resto job. These guys are pretty good at what they do.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
I realize that you import/ sell Rovers so I hope nothing was taken in offense as I personally know a couple of people who have purchased/ dealt with you and have totally positive things to say. That being said, I dont think that the Defenders are "hand built" but achieve these ridiculous asking prices because they arent as readily available as of yet. Get a CJ or YJ, rust it out like a typical for sale "1985" D90, and they will laugh all day at a $4k selling price, let alone one at $14k. I really hope that as the years pass, these prices will come down as I would love to get my hands on a 3 door 110. They arent the most comfortable (being 6'4" my head seems to hit the door/ window frame often) but they are just so damn cool. Until then, a comfortable, air conditioned, flexy Disco for half the money is the way to go.

That being said, the money for this is huge and I agree that it will be bought by someone who will use it as their beach truck in the Hamptons or something like that. Itll never see actual use.

I have sold a couple over the years but the vast majority of the 70+ trucks I have imported were already owned by enthusiasts here-ie they bought their own and then I handle the rest. I'm an importer not a dealer. This thread isn't about me but you pulled me in with the bash on rover prices. Here's a link to a $720 (purchase price in the UK) 110 3 door an atty friend of mine took a risk on and won big-this is far more typical of a transaction I'm involved in. The frame is as solid as can be.....I'll let you read for yourself.
I'm delivering it to Philly tomorrow. He has approximately $3600 invested in a solid, running, turbo diesel 110. The parts value of this truck far exceeds that. I started with Jeeps in the 1970's and Cj's don't have aluminum bodys,diesel engines,or box steel frames,coils, or 4 wheel disc brakes, but I digress. Defenders are hand built.

http://www.d-90.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25592&referrerid=3511

Last edited:

evilfij

Explorer
I am the "attorney friend" of Doug with the 110.

As Doug says, he is an importer, not a dealer. His price for handling ALL the logistics of my import was extremely fair and reasonable and worth every penny. I won it on ebay.co.uk, paypaled the seller and signed and sent to Doug a power of attorney for the importation -- that is all I did. He called the seller and got all the sale paperwork in order, arranged transport of a non-running truck from the seller's location to the docks in Southhampton in the UK, arranged RoRo of a non-running truck through his contact at the shipping line (only a $200 surcharge), handled the import at the dock, picked it up at the dock in Baltimore and, because he is such a nice guy (and probably because I promised him I would pay the bar tab and for dinner ;)) is trailering it up to me. He also agreed to take a look at it and see if he could get it running for a few extra dollars. He had it running in 2.5 hours after it sat for 6+ years in the UK.

He is truly an expert as he made this happen smoothly in little over a month (I bought the 110 on May 16, it will be in my driveway June 20 as you can see in my thread on D-90.com)

Ron

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
This thread isn't about me but you pulled me in with the bash on rover prices.

Thats what I meant. I didnt mean to bring you into any of the price questioning at all and as I stated, your reputation for being a great guy and Rover importer but it is hard to argue that many of the prices for these Defenders are a little bit high...

Maryland 110

Adventurer
Thats what I meant. I didnt mean to bring you into any of the price questioning at all and as I stated, your reputation for being a great guy and Rover importer but it is hard to argue that many of the prices for these Defenders are a little bit high...

Agreed ! There's a $75,000 110 in my driveway right now waiting for an auto transport co to pick it up and deliver it to a dentist in Bellvue Wa but thats another story. Cost the same to import that one as Ron's (since he outed himself) $722 truck.

Outback

Explorer
110K! Uhh ok sounds good to me! I have a 109 armored Land Rover that is equipped with a turret mounted Browning 1919. I will sell her to the right person for uh........50K! Its the perfect expedition rig for those not so friendly 3rd world Countries!

Attachments

• 1919warwag3.jpg
    1919warwag3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 39

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal