A little overwhelming...

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think the KO2's are the only thing useful in Florida Mud. For everything else I'd say the Coopers. They are great in rain, drive smooth on the street, and go off road quite well. But they are not a true mud tire, though they clear fairly well:

DSC_5845.jpg

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
XJLI and NWoods, thank you. I've been leaning to the KO2 or Zeons in the 285/60 size. Given that the BFG's are $25/tire less and lighter, it seems they might be the winner!

perkj

Explorer
Here are my options after narrowing them down...

285/60/18
BFG KO2
Cooper Zeon LTZ
Toyo OC A/T II

265/65/18
Michelin LTX A/T2
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Toyo OC A/T II
BFG KO2

I don't believe the KO2s come in a 285/60/18, only a 285/65/18 which may be a bit big without other modification as it will be a 32.59" tire

XJLI and NWoods, thank you. I've been leaning to the KO2 or Zeons in the 285/60 size. Given that the BFG's are $25/tire less and lighter, it seems they might be the winner!

IMO the KO2s in the 265/65/18 are the way to go over the Zeon's in the 285/60/18. The reason I say this is because the KO2s are a LT e-code tire which will be able to carry heavier loads (3305 vs 3086 per tire) and will more importantly be able to air up as high as 80 psi. The Zeons are not LT e-code and are limited to 50 PSI. I currently have the Zeons and while a good tire they become a bit concerning when I have the LR3 fully loaded up for trips as the tires look some what deflated even at 45 psi up front and 48 in the rear. Note I do have a lot of extra weight on the LR3 with the RS Sliders, ARB Rack, Tire swing and Baja Rack.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I wondered about that size also for the KO2's, but I'm not current on what all is offered, so stayed silent.

I really think you need to think about rain performance more than mud. I hear it rains in Florida, possibly more than here in sunny Southern California. :)

I've run KO2's on my Jeep and Montero because they are awesome off road tires, but on my dual purpose LR3 I ran Coopers. Much better on road performance, superb handling and safety in the ran, and decent trail handling. If the LR3 we mostly see road use, think about wet weather handling.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
I don't believe the KO2s come in a 285/60/18, only a 285/65/18 which may be a bit big without other modification as it will be a 32.59" tire

IMO the KO2s in the 265/65/18 are the way to go over the Zeon's in the 285/60/18. The reason I say this is because the KO2s are a LT e-code tire which will be able to carry heavier loads and will be able to air up 80 psi. The Zeons are not LT e-code and are limited to 50 PSI. I currently have the Zeons and while a good tire they become a bit concerning when I have the LR3 fully loaded up for trips

I guess Kauffman could be off on this, but it shows them available here... http://www.kauffmantire.com/tire/B99506.html

And availability is next day. Under the specifications tab, it shows a Load/Ply rating of "D-8" and max PSI of 65. Not up to the "E" rating like you mention above. You think an E-rated tire is that important? My current plan for mods are very basic, trying to keep it nearly as stock as possible. Outside of new tires, roof rack, and some cosmetic changes I don't foresee my LR3 getting too much heavier than it is.

perkj

Explorer
I guess Kauffman could be off on this, but it shows them available here... http://www.kauffmantire.com/tire/B99506.html

And availability is next day. Under the specifications tab, it shows a Load/Ply rating of "D-8" and max PSI of 65. Not up to the "E" rating like you mention above. You think an E-rated tire is that important? My current plan for mods are very basic, trying to keep it nearly as stock as possible. Outside of new tires, roof rack, and some cosmetic changes I don't foresee my LR3 getting too much heavier than it is.

You're right. I see them now on the BFG site....it appears they were just released in the 285/60/18 on Sept 1st of this year - just a few weeks ago. You'll be surprised at how much weight gets added when going on a simple camp trip :)

Also be aware that the 265 will be a narrower tire than the 285....8.7" tread width vs 9.7". the narrow tire will yield a bit better MPGs and will be better suited for certain terrains.

For me personally I plan to go with the BFGs in the 265/65/18 when the current Zeons wear out as I have a need for the e-code and the ability to run a higher psi in the tires. The added benefit to my MPGs with the narrower tire will also be welcoming ;)

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I just saw this video, and I thought it was hilarious. It accurately shows how rain effects us here in SoCal: http://youtu.be/1m4hryJ4Nag

I share this in reference to my earlier comments. I run KO2's because they are excellent tires, but I live in a dry, rocky desert. The two or three times I've driven in the rain, they've been ok, but not as stable feeling as my Cooper Zeons

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Good to know about the narrower width for better MPGs. I had read that a few places but wasn't sure how MUCH of an actual difference it'd make. Man, maybe my paranoia about having to add rods or trim/move wires/etc is unnecessary, but I am hoping to avoid that. You do make an interesting point for the 265/65 though.:beer:

Jwestpro

Explorer
ko2 in 265/65x18 is the better size. E load range is still better than D even if you don't load up 100% ever. Better is better. It's not like you bought a light suv, this is one of the heavier out there so that's why it clearly jumps in to E range so easily.
Do NOT air them up to 80 psi though, that is only the "max" rating under load specified for the tire. I don't know if the lr3 would fair too well if loaded to the near 14,000 lb limit of the 4 combined tires ;)

These tires should wear fairly long, meaning in a couple years when you simply cannot wait any longer to add some weight, you'll still be fine with the tire choice not having to swap out from D load tires wasting $ in the long run.

Start with psi 42/44 and see how that feels.

Make sure to keep your tire pressure sensors if the swap wheels do not have the very obvious aluminum metal valve stems (signifies sensors inside). If you just swap and give up your sensors, you're in for a $500 replacement cost. I say this because some SE lr3 do NOT have the tire pressure system.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I run KO2's because they are excellent tires, but I live in a dry, rocky desert. The two or three times I've driven in the rain, they've been ok, but not as stable feeling as my Cooper Zeons

I live in Seattle, it rains all winter, for real, ALL winter. Never had any moment of concern on the KO2 here, never.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I've run KO2's on my Jeep and Montero because they are awesome off road tires, but on my dual purpose LR3 I ran Coopers. Much better on road performance, superb handling and safety in the ran, and decent trail handling. If the LR3 we mostly see road use, think about wet weather handling.

Are you talking about the KO "2" and not the previous version?

What vehicle is the tire on now? What model Jeep and what year Montero? I ask because what do those weigh? I'll bet you it's a lot less than the LR3....

To add on that line of thinking, what width tires are you using?

A 285/60x18 is going have a significantly lower ground pressure than a 265/65x18. Add to that a lighter vehicle weight, and there's actually a pretty big difference in how the same model of tire will behave in the same rain conditions.

It's possible that my lr3 weighing no less than 7000 lbs ever, with a 275/65x18, does just fine because of the ground pressure ratio.

So, even though big wide A S S tires look awesome, they are an inferior choice for anything other than sand but even then, taller and a bit narrower usually works better when deflated far enough due to the frontal issues of a wide tire.

This is why I'm getting ready to change my brakes to allow a 17" wheel and the BFG KM2 255/80x17.... Same principals apply even more to snow tire sizing.

perkj

Explorer
This is why I'm getting ready to change my brakes to allow a 17" wheel and the BFG KM2 255/80x17.... Same principals apply even more to snow tire sizing.

Good move! Do the fronts only need to be changed to the V6 brakes or the rears also to fir the 17s?

Jwestpro

Explorer
Good move! Do the fronts only need to be changed to the V6 brakes or the rears also to fir the 17s?

All 4. While it's normal for people to put in new pads and/or wear sensors during any brake job, the only parts required are the 4 rotors and the 4 caliper carriers.

The V6 model has identical part numbers for the pads, calipers and wear sensors.

The trick is not the brake swap, it's sourcing the damn wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater