A little overwhelming...

A.J.M

Explorer
For 17s. If you want the factory 17s. You can pick them up for peanuts here in the UK. NO ONE want's them as it's one of the first mods done to show it's not a poverty spec model.

Seen a set of 4 with tyres go for £50...

zelatore

Explorer
While I haven't tried them, the new KO2 looks very good. I'm not a huge fan of the earlier KO, though many are/were.

I also agree that 265/65-18 is probably the best/biggest size you'll want to run. While you can go bigger, it requires mod'ing that not everybody may be willing to do.

I currently run Goodyear Duratracs in 275/65-18 and after 2 years and 20K miles I'm ready to be rid of them. Not nearly strong enough for rocks. They are decent on the road with little noise or added harshness and they're great in snow (not a big worry in Atlanta I know but I hear they have some itty bitty mountains back east). OK in the mud. Reasonably light compared to a real MT tire, but you're not looking at those so I'm not sure if there will be any real gain there.

But remember I said they aren't up to rocks? Here's what mine look like now. Much of this happened just yesterday when running at 25 psi, then at 50 psi on the highway back home.

This is what it would have looked like at the beginning of the day. (this is my spare, but I do a 5 tire rotation ever 5K) Not perfect by a long shot but nothing like the other tire.

I was literally tearing pieces off the tread with my hands. That is not a happy tire.

Jwestpro

Explorer
wooooah ! 20k is 20k but how many months have they been in use? That's kind of bad. My old BFG ko version 1 never had anything like that.

Today I did a test fit of 2 sizes for kicks....

image.jpg
image.jpg

BFG KO2 275/70-18 on factory 8x18 ET 53, no spacer. Tucks in just enough sitting on front bump stop. To get the ultra low height, I placed vehicle height lever into "access locked", then switch the LLAMS to -20 and the extra button too. This does cause the vehicle system to warn you to lift back up but if done in the right sequence, it will stay dropped.

Both tires tucked in very well due to the fender liner mods and narrow offset.

I forgot to get a shot of the rear tucked but the trouble spots are mostly up front like here so that's where I had my attention for photos:
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is where the trouble will be if you have the tire fully stuffed or are trying to drive while on the bump stops. Rolling straight will work but turning much will bring the tire out into the fender edge. It's only plastic but it's good to know.

Oh, here's where the tightest spot occurs when rear tire is stuffed almost to the limit, this is at the rear factory mud guard. It's a bit flexible backwards but there is no actual contact here. Obviously it's tight but it should work.
image.jpg

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
That is tight.

My issue is I'm a BFG fanboy so of course I'm going to tell you to get BFG KO2s. However my friend had them on his JKU. Beat the piss out of them and they held up quite nicely. Did very well on road and held their own off road (the JK was totaled, hence why he doesn't run them anymore). Obviously is you get into the soup, they ain't gonna work but as long as you aren't out in Beasley during a downpour, they should be fine. Seem to be cleaning ok-ish of mud. A LOT better than the old KOs. The KO2 seems to be the new compromise tire. Like the Duratrac, but more durable.

Overall I've had great luck with BFGs on both my rover and my small cars.

zelatore

Explorer
The Duratracs are about 2 years old on my LR3. I was pretty shocked at how torn up they are. As you can see from the spare, they were chunked and torn before but in a matter of less than 200 miles (one day of highway and trail) they became much worse. FWIW that pic is the right rear which is the worst. The left rear is similar but not as bad, and the fronts aren't really any worse than the spare. So it's the rears that are coming apart on me.

Jwestpro - good to see; that's the size I plan to go when I get back from the WNLRR in Sedona. I knew it would be very tight but thought it would *just* fit. I will be running the Proud Rino extensions from Lucky8, so I won't be as low as you when on the bumpstops.

Max, I too like BFGs (I used to race on them back when I went fast). If the KM2 was available in my size I'd be looking hard at it. Same for the Cooper STT Pro which is my first choice but again not available in my size and repeated emails to Cooper have gotten no response.

Last edited:

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Well guys, I pulled the trigger. I've spent probably far too much time researching, posting, reading, and PM'ing some of you for insights. Like I said before, I was planning on using Kauffman Tire for their Falcons rebate (which for this week was $120). I had to place the order today to get the rebate, but the actual store that's just a few miles from my house, didn't have any in stock. They will be here tomorrow. I went with the 285/60/18 BFG KO2's. Truth is, I could have mulled this decision over for many more days. But having an appt on Friday to get some work done on the LR3, I decided to make a decision and just deal with it. If I end up wanting a different size down the road, so be it. After I swapped the wheels last week, the tires that came on the 18's are 245/55...uhhh. Want those things gone ASAP so we can actually use the truck for some fun! Thanks again guys for all of your input. Ill get some pics up once they are on!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think you'll be happy with them. They are an excellent tire. In fact, I owe you an apology, this whole time I've been saying KO2, when instead I meant KM2. The photo I showed was of the KM2 in the mud. I think the new all terrain KO2's are outstanding. Long proven tread design, with the new silicone infused rubber compound similar to the Cooper Zeon's mean smoother ride, better grip, and less chunking.

perkj

Explorer
Well guys, I pulled the trigger. I've spent probably far too much time researching, posting, reading, and PM'ing some of you for insights. Like I said before, I was planning on using Kauffman Tire for their Falcons rebate (which for this week was $120). I had to place the order today to get the rebate, but the actual store that's just a few miles from my house, didn't have any in stock. They will be here tomorrow. I went with the 285/60/18 BFG KO2's. Truth is, I could have mulled this decision over for many more days. But having an appt on Friday to get some work done on the LR3, I decided to make a decision and just deal with it. If I end up wanting a different size down the road, so be it. After I swapped the wheels last week, the tires that came on the 18's are 245/55...uhhh. Want those things gone ASAP so we can actually use the truck for some fun! Thanks again guys for all of your input. Ill get some pics up once they are on!

Just curious, why did you opt for the 285/60/18 over the 265/65/18?

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Nwoods, no problem. I truthfully didn't read too much into it. But glad to hear you think the KO2's are a solid option.

perkj, truthfully it had way more to do with the options Kauffman had or didn't have, near the price point(no more than 1k out the door) I was willing to spend.

I felt that the 285/60 "D" rated BFG was my best best. The other two I boiled it down to were 285/60 GG AT2's or the 265/65 Duratracs.

zelatore

Explorer
I'll be interested to see how much clearance you have between the sidewall and the upper A-arm in the front. With 275s I've got VERY little clearance. I don't think I could fit a 285 w/o spacers. (I have .75" spacer now as an experiment, but ran the 275s without them until just last month).

Jwestpro

Explorer
I'll be interested to see how much clearance you have between the sidewall and the upper A-arm in the front. With 275s I've got VERY little clearance. I don't think I could fit a 285 w/o spacers. (I have .75" spacer now as an experiment, but ran the 275s without them until just last month).

Yeah, exactly why we all recommend the 265/65x18... On my first lr3 I had the Nitto TG in 285/60 and I'm pretty sure they rubbed the UCA a bit.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Nwoods, no problem. I truthfully didn't read too much into it. But glad to hear you think the KO2's are a solid option.

perkj, truthfully it had way more to do with the options Kauffman had or didn't have, near the price point(no more than 1k out the door) I was willing to spend.

I felt that the 285/60 "D" rated BFG was my best best. The other two I boiled it down to were 285/60 GG AT2's or the 265/65 Duratracs.

You really need to be thinking about the big picture.... Unless you can get it on a rack with the front suspension hanging 100% at it's bottom, you will not even know the UCA is cutting the tire until it's too late to just get a refund.

Any tire shop can order tires. It's very short sighted to make such a choice based on what you can have this week vs next. Right now Discount Tire has offers totaling $100 in rebates and you can use their 0% credit account to take the edge off the up front cost if that matters.

The 285/60 ratio is very wide and not really ideal for the LR for two reasons:
-the above mentioned rubbing on the control arm when strut is extended, sometimes without even any extension.
-the other reason is the width is at the limit of what makes sense on an 8" wide wheel. It will handle kind of like S Hi t unless it's over inflated because it's tread width is so much wider than the rim mounted width. Think of it as the opposite of a "stretched" low profile tire. For general use, the wide tire is going to handle more like having squishy balloons under it. The 265/65 ratio handles like a sports car by comparison.

Anyway, make your own choices but in the end one is in fact better than the other regardless of subjective desires.

Jwestpro

Explorer
After I swapped the wheels last week, the tires that came on the 18's are 245/55...uhhh. Want those things gone ASAP so we can actually use the truck for some fun! !

That sounds odd... How could there be such a small tire on an lr3 wheel? That's even smaller than a Disco 2 tire (255/55x18). Did you get actual lr3 wheels or lr2 or some other model by accident ?

Jwestpro

Explorer
Jwestpro - good to see; that's the size I plan to go when I get back from the WNLRR in Sedona. I knew it would be very tight but thought it would *just* fit. I will be running the Proud Rino extensions from Lucky8, so I won't be as low as you when on the bumpstops.
If the KM2 was available in my size I'd be looking hard at it. Same for the Cooper STT Pro which is my first choice but again not available in my size and repeated emails to Cooper have gotten no response.

You have an lr3...thus v6 brake parts swap is easy and cheap.... get the km2 or STT in a skinny 17" 33 ! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater