A more proactive thread, 89 econoline from auto 4x2 to 4 speed 4x4

Itsavanman

Adventurer
Now, I know what your thinking, why is this guy creating a new thread? weeeellll the "hi everyone" thread was filled with a buncha im gonna's so I figured I would write a new thread showcasing what I am actually doing. the concept was if I'm going to swap transmissions to go 4x4, than its gonna be a manual.. How hard can it be to put a clutch pedal in my van.. hoo-boy, it was a pain in the bum.. first pulling out the original pedal box was a chore, as it was also the steering column support. since the manual pedal box shifts the master and booster over about 2.5" new holes had to be drilled to mount the box, and a block off plate had to be made to cover up the original hole. it started with cutting out the plate
IMG_1939_zps131802a0.jpg

and covering up this
IMG_1940_zpsec8244c6.jpg

got that plate cut out and new bolt holes drilled, then it was time to make the big hole for the booster to poke through, armed with a can of pb blaster and a wood hole saw i managed to chew a nice purdy hole through the block off plate and the firewall.

after the hole was drilled I went to set in the 94 f150 booster into its new home, it won't go.. what gives!? geez the electrical connector in the firewall is now in the way.. so everything back out. with the same hole saw and pb blaster (now 3/4 empty) i drill a new hole about 2" to the left so the booster will clear the connector. now we have 2 holes in the firewall lol, still need to fabricate a block off plate to cover up the old hole, but for now its in, then the booster goes back to slide home, due to one mount hole being slightly off it took me an hour to get it to sit right.. and voilla! ready for the pedal box.
IMG_2045_zps29ce97e6.jpg

now since the firewall is a bit different the pedal box wasn't quite right, so another 20 minutes of pushing pulling wiggling and pop! onto the booster studs it slides.
IMG_2046_zps9a412cb6.jpg

a quick tightening of the nuts and we have a pedal setup! WOO! the pedal arms do need some tweaking as the clutch pedal is a little low, and so is the brake, but because the booster hits the windshield cowling I can't raise the assembly to make it right, so now since I have a few extra pedals lying around, I will be using a bend or 2 from those to graft onto whats now there. now with the master bolted back on, will the aux coach battery still fit?
IMG_2047_zps917e93e8.jpg

yup! tight squeeze but everything just barely makes it.. hooray!

Now we have an issue of the wiper motor hitting the clutch return spring, so out it came, since the motor is clocked at about 5 o'clock the plan is to rotate it to 6-7 o'clock and stuff it at the extreme right hand side of the drivers footwell. now since the nuts are captured on the wiper trough to hold the motor, I either had to find a way to put new captured nuts, or relocate the nuts to the wiper motor itself. to granger I went and got a few rubber isolators with 1/4-20 threads on the inside, now since the original wiper isolators had a groove to hold them to the wiper motor, I took a hack saw and made a groove in the new isolators.
IMG_2023_zps53c9f45e.jpg

now wasn't that easy. now the wiper motor will park at a different degree now that its rotated, but the plan is to set it up turn it on then off, and wherever its parked put the wiper arms back on on their parked position and it should work. so that's what I got so far..

Last edited:

Itsavanman

Adventurer
well no pictures, as it looks just like it did when I took ownership of it (with the exception of a 3rd pedal), got the steering column bracket grafted back on to the f150 pedal box, assembled the wiper linkage and sealed up all the old holes the wipers work as they should, everything went back where it was supposed to inside the dash, still need to tidy up the fuse box and wires in that area as the wiper motor now occupies the spot is was bolted, so now need to make up some brackets to hold the fuse box, and the brake lights aren't working, but everything else is, so need to figure out why. project for another day, next up, drilling the holes for the clutch master cylinder and having the hydraulic line put together.. than its transmission swap time.. WOOT!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Interesting. Is there enough room on the floor for a shifter or will you be going with a column shifter?

Back when I was in the Army stationed in Germany, I had to drive a small van with a column mounted 5 speed transmission! It was very odd but after about half an hour I got used to it. Drove it from Ansbach (near Nuremburg) all the way down to Garmisch (which is on the Austrian Border) and that includes a drive through Munich. Fun fact, don't know what it's like now, but back then (this would have been around February of 1989) the Autobahn did not go through Munich - it went right up until it hit the metro area and then turned into regular city streets. So since we had to drive all the way through Munich, North to South, I got pretty good at shifting that 5 speed on the column! :D

Itsavanman

Adventurer
oh yeah there is plenty of room. the motor and trans sit offset in the van by about 6" or so. the shifter will be removable so ya don't bash a shin on it while camping in the van... still working on how that is going to work....

Itsavanman

Adventurer
So, no direct progress on the van, but I did finally demoed the pop up camper for some bits and pieces. went from this

redneck_zps471e3a52.jpg

to this

scrappinginstyle_zpsb12bf94d.jpg

Scrappin in style!
lol the guys at the metal recyclers thought it was hilarious that I was using a BMW as a tow rig lol. the plan was to use the pop up mechanisims and such from the camper for use in the van but I decided to do the westfalia style hinged pop up instead, so most of everything got scrapped or thrown away. got my gas money back when I turned in the aluminum, stainless, copper, and steel so I broke even in that aspect, going to turn the trailer into a nice landscape style trailer, so I will have a nice trailer for very little money to tow behind the van.. so not too bad I say! next post will be more progress on the actual van...

Itsavanman

Adventurer
no pictures, didn't really do much, but working on a deal to buy a d44 (I think) and front suspension from a Quigley, saves on a day or 2 of fab time.. which is awesome! was going to have the clutch hydraulic fittings tig welded to a brake hose and line, as the oem ford quick connects are a weird size and a compression fitting won't go on, but enter in my new (to me) 1944 south bend 9" lathe I picked up to turn the diameter down so I can use a regular compression fitting instead.

newtoy_zps141f41df.jpg

bought it for a couple other projects I am working on that need some custom bits and pieces but a tool like this always comes in handy, so now I don't have to wait for someone else to finish before I can continue on with the project, which is awesome!

DAV!D

Adventurer
Hey man, I'll be watching your progress on this. Will be interesting to see how the pop top goes. I've been going back and forth as to if I want to do a pop top on the newer van I buy or do a fiberglass hi top like my current one has.

If you need a hand on anything let me know, because we obviously can't live too far apart.

Itsavanman

Adventurer
whoo.. what a day.. finished up the new deck on the trailer in the morning, and brought home the quigly front suspension.. thanks dave! the clip looks to be in really good shape.. and I worked out a deal with a friend of mine who is opening up his own shop, I will be moving all my machining and fabricating over to his shop, so I finally have an indoor space to work! gonna be fun swapping over the front suspension!

DAV!D

Adventurer
Hey no problem, I'm just glad someone got it that was gonna go ahead with a conversion. It just wasn't feasible for me to do it up here in MA.

I'll be watching to see how everything progresses for you.

Itsavanman

Adventurer
haha.. no.. my focus has been on the water toys at the moment.. but need to get this thing done.. I think in the next few weeks gonna start choppin :D

Itsavanman

Adventurer
Bah! smacked down once again! my buddy promised me all this space now says his landlord has a problem with me being at the shop because of insurance.. so now I'm stuck with nowhere to put the van... not really sure what I'm gonna do...

FirerescuePW

My Dad had an Econoline with a 3 speed manual with a floor shift. It was factory Ford equipment. It was definitely NOT a short throw shifter! The pattern went from the dashboard to the driver's seatback. Very fun to drive. It sounded like a UPS truck. The old ones with Ford straight 6s and rounded front clips.

Last edited:

Itsavanman

Adventurer
old manuals in trucks are fun.. the 4 speed in my 55 chevy bread truck was like that.. trying my damnedest to at least get the 4 speed put in, a friend at work is going to let me use his driveway to put the 4 speed and tcase in. so at least it will be converted to the stick.. and then figure out what the hell I'm gonna do to put the front clip in.. I can't even give this van away.. so.. I'll find a way to keep it.. and finish it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven