A Trip To Nowhere and Everywhere

For some reason I awoke early.....5:00 a.m. I made myself several cups of coffee and waited for the sun to rise. And what a treat I had.

043.JPG

039.JPG

059.JPG

We moved on to a morning hike along some of the many trails in the park. Our picks for today were coastal trails. More awesome scenery. It never ends in Nova Scotia.

063.JPG

066.JPG

I decided to finish our stay in Cape Breton National Park at Warren Lake. I launched the kayak, and Yukon and I began to explore the shoreline. After she had her fill, I went out alone to commune with nature.

075.JPG

As I rowed along the deserted shoreline, I could hear a stream in the distance. I continued to paddle, taking notice of the rustling of the leaves. It seemed as though I was having a "perfect moment" in the outdoors.

077.JPG

And it only got better as (3) Loons landed nearby and began to sing. What an incredible moment of peace I experienced.

085.JPG

083.JPG

I love Nova Scotia. I'll miss this place....................

Last edited:
And now back to reality. I'm currently at the ferry terminal in North Sydney, Nova Scotia. Unfortunately they're having having problems with the number of extra fuel tanks on the Jeep. They say that (1) is fine, but I may have to leave (2) behind. It's a post 9/11 thing. I've worked my way up the chain of command, and have now been told that it will be up to the First Mate to decide if I can board the ferry. So, tonight I'll stay in the parking lot and meet the First Mate in the morning to see if I'll make it to New Foundland.

mdrauh

The shots of that sunrise are amazing. I'm pretty envious of your trip so far. Keep the updates coming, man.

Last night I was approached by yet another inspector who told me remove the fuel cans and put them inside the Jeep. I told him that in the afternoon I was told to leave them on the carriers since they were locked. He said, no, they must be removed and that I probably won't be boarding anyhow. I was helped by many other passengers and we completely reorganized the Jeep. Soon we'll know the outcome.

I don't plan to leave my tanks here. I plan to change my route. Maybe this is one of those situations where things happen for a reason. Who knows ?

001.JPG

002.JPG

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Looks like you've been having some nice weather and finding some good spots to camp.
Keep the updates coming....

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Hopefully things worked out with the ferry today.
I heard on the news there's a decent size storm heading up the east coast, you may be in for a bit of a storm in the next couple of days...

Funny how things work sometimes. Yesterday there was a whole new crew on the dock and nothing was ever said about my fuel tanks. The water was calm and the weather was good. It was hard to tell we were on a boat.

003.JPG

They said to be on the lookout for whales and icebergs, but no such luck, only a school of dolphins passed by. After about 4 1/2 hours we arrived in Port Aux Basques, New Foundland. It's a beautiful little village on the coast. It's surrounded by rocky, rolling hills, void of trees, reminding of pictures I've seen of Iceland and Greenland.

006.JPG

008.JPG

Last night we had some good rains, today the skies are clear. I understand that more foul weather is coming this way...............the remains of the hurricane. We'll go north this afternoon, traveling maybe (50) miles or so. Hopefully I can find myself a good campsite and wait out the storm. I've got plenty of good reading with me, and we're loaded with provisions, so, we have no worries. Slowly, slowly, moving north.............

crosbike

Thanks so much for taking the time for this trip report. I was up in the Truro Halifax area a few years back for a wedding and I just love it up there. I hope to make some treks like this sooner than later but until then I'll live vicariously through your reports.

Mr. D

Adventurer
Wow that is crazy a different set of employees I guess means different guidelines on what is ok or not. Well good for you that you were able to keep all your gas cans

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Good to hear that you were able to catch the ferry as planned.
Guess it all goes by who is interpreting how the guidelines read ....

Keep the updates coming.

Travel Safe

Yes, the fuel cans were the problem. They are filled with diesel, not quite as bad as gasoline. They limit you to one can (normally).

After a few cups of coffe and a free shower at the ferry terminal (sweet), we headed northeast on the Trans Canada Highway (TCH) (Route 1). The terrain changed almost immediately as we passed through the Tapletop Mountains.

001.JPG

003.JPG

There were lots of stunted pines, willows and birches. We were on the lookout for moose along the highway, as I'm told that it's a real problem here. We didn't see a single moose. We made a stop for lunch near Stephenville and the St. George's Bay. Yukon once again hit the water and swam for the longest time........she never wants to quit.

After lunch we continued up the TCH until we found a nice little spot at the intersection with the road that leads to Burgeo, one of the few roads that goes inland in this area of New Foundland.

Currently we're stopped in Corner Brook, a fairly large city along one of the many bays. I'm stoked because we're going to check out the Captain Cook National Historic Site. I just completed a book (Blue Horizons) which is about his (3) voyages. I love everything adventure !! Until next time...........

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Sincere appreciation for your chronicling this event from another Virginian.

You say that you "love everything adventure" -- you clearly LIVE the adventure too.

It would be pretty neat to sit down with you and hear your recollections of this trip...

Take care and safe travels.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333