Aberdeen Washington: 2002 Suburban 4x4 z71 G80 Adeventuremobile/home/photostudio

Burb One

Adventurer
Went to Zion for the week. Had a few objectives. See Crawford Arch, a rarely visited arch in Zion that requires some climbing/canyoneering to access....
View attachment 347103
View attachment 347104
View attachment 347105
View attachment 347106
View attachment 347107
View attachment 347100

Run rock canyon, a remote canyon requiring a hour of driving through soft sand.
View attachment 347101
View attachment 347102
View attachment 347108

Bike Gooseberry Mesa!
View attachment 347099

Truck pics are on their way!

Looking good!

I second the leave the hitch in there, or getting a hitch that rides higher up (The one I have is a CURT that is ~2 inches higher. It was like $120 on Amazon, shipped prime (weighs like 100 pounds). It acts as a great skid plate, many times I would have ripped off my bumper if it wasn't there. Also makes for a strong pull point.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures!!!

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
adore what you've done with the rig, appears you have much more planned
if you ever go with a winch in my build thread is a simple way to get one mounted
cant wait to see where your build goes

kins18q

Adventurer
how cold is that water?

In some of the canyons its snow runoff soooo it can get pretty chilly. But the one pictured above rain runoff so around 45-50 degrees. You can't have too much neoprene!

adore what you've done with the rig, appears you have much more planned
if you ever go with a winch in my build thread is a simple way to get one mounted
cant wait to see where your build goes

Thanks! Will check it out. Winch is a possibility, but we are nearing the budget and we still have the sleeping platform to go, so the winching with the hi-lift is likely what we will be stuck with if it comes to that!

greasyfingers

I'm in for ideas. I just bought the same truck. I'm not a chevy fan but I can't get an Excursion for a reasonable price. I did get a lot of bang for the buck

f1d8ba17e5c2b73dccf2241573d99c02.jpg

kins18q

Adventurer
Niiiiice greasy! Any questions you've got send em my way, I'll do my best to answer. I think the Z71 looks better than the excursion any way :)
'

kins18q

Adventurer
THE BIG UPDATE

I am sick and tired of how difficult it is to get things posted on this damn forum!!
I was planning on a bunch of pictures but nevermind here comes the finished product.

So it's been a while since the last update, and a whole lot has happened. Have not had time to post with all the building and travelling. 70 Hours of builgin over the course of 2 weeks followed by a 3 week trip from San Diego to Eugene, OR for the Olympic Trials in the track and field and a backcountry tour of OR and Northern CA. Crater Lake, Umpqua National Forest, Lava Beds National Monument, Lassen Volcanic, and Tahoe. Oh, and my buddy/training partner made his second Olympic team so now I plan my trip to Rio to coach him there.

Anyway here is the build.

Took out the seats and grinded the second row bolts right off. My girlfriend is a ************.

20160612_114208.jpg

Made this thing out of a piece of 3/4 inch Birch for the side fascia/storage cabinet. We decided to go with a low platform for head room with full length storage cabinet down behind the driver's seat. We didn't have a jigsaw so we actually coping saw/hammer+chiseled out the holes and hit the edges with a router. Came out pretty neat I think.

20160611_181508.jpg

Sleeping platform pieces and drawer/lockbox for camera equipment. The box we built around the drawer is weight bearing and acts as the front third of the sleeping platform. The drawer opens into the footwell behind the front seats.
20160620_153745.jpg
20160620_163612.jpg

Almost there.

20160618_092617.jpg

Finished! I'm on the left, my buddy the talent behind this build is on the right.

20160620_192519.jpg

A man with his masterpiece

20160620_192450.jpg

Pics from the trip and with the mattress are at @katcarney on instagram

Attachments

• 20160617_105858.jpg
    20160617_105858.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Interesting design concept, certainly adds a lot of cubby storage and I notice you took out the driver side cargo trim panel, which give you a lot more volume to cram stuff. But I'm really surprised at the 'permanent' deletion of the 2nd row seats. Won't you ever have passengers? And I'm not seeing what in your design required their mounting bolts to be ground off. They could have just as easily been used as anchors for your storage bin / camera vault.

But it looks good. An effective mini-RV in the making. Almost like a teardrop build inside the back of a Suburban.

kins18q

Adventurer
Interesting design concept, certainly adds a lot of cubby storage and I notice you took out the driver side cargo trim panel, which give you a lot more volume to cram stuff. But I'm really surprised at the 'permanent' deletion of the 2nd row seats. Won't you ever have passengers? And I'm not seeing what in your design required their mounting bolts to be ground off. They could have just as easily been used as anchors for your storage bin / camera vault.

But it looks good. An effective mini-RV in the making. Almost like a teardrop build inside the back of a Suburban.

Removing the trim panel was key. Would have removed the passenger side trim too if it didn't house the read AC. Permanent deletion of the second row was a tough call... But we are really glad we did it! After all we will be living in this thing for a year. After this 3 week trip it was well worth it. It makes for a flat footwell area between the bed and the front seats, so we aren't constantly smashing our feet on 2.5 inch bolts! Also, it allowed us to install the drawer that opens into the footwell. I made it a lockbox for the camera gear. The side fascia is permanent, so really half of th second row seats will never go back in. Plus if we want to carry more passengers eventually, the third row can still be put in easily. The platform is easily removable in a few minutes and because the third row is built to fit between the wheel wells it still fits without removing the cabinets. And the passengers would get Limo-like Leg room!

The footwell and drawer

20160724_150212.jpg

20160724_150325.jpg

20160724_151109.jpg

20160724_151027.jpg

20160724_151217.jpg

The hinged rear storage trunk. We went with the hinged trunk rather than the drawer for cost, space efficiency, and weight
20160724_151310.jpg

Last edited:

onemanarmy

Explorer
Upload to photobucket or similar and then copy/paste the link.

Should be oriented the correct way and be bigger for viewing pleasure.

I've yet to find a forum with a built in uploader worth anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven