Ace Vantura! ALLLLLLLLLLLRIGHTY then

ohpyramids

Adventurer
ALLLLLLLRIGHTY THEN!! LETS KICK THIS OFF!!

giphy.gif

Long time lurker, first build thread. My gf and I are planning a van build. Heres some of our inspiration...

af28b197c1def4ead856cf73ad751c89.jpeg

We want to use the van to camp and travel, and eventually live in it fulltime for 6-12 months. Our plan is to start with a blank cargo van, and build it into an awesome/ economical/ comfortable adventuremobile for travel around North and South America. The rough outline of the build- 7.3 diesel, UJOR 6" lift, Sportsmobile penthouse. We want a functional but simple interior, similar to the things that Outside van does in their sprinter van builds. I think that Van Specialties in Oregon does great/ similar work, and I've got a lead on a builder in Burbank as well.

After several months of scouring the whole entire internet, I found a clean 2003 E350 Diesel van!

Ace Vantura by WICCANBURN, on Flickr

It was a difficult search because we are dead set on having a full cargo RB econoline with the barn doors. I finally found this girl in southern Virginia with 150k miles and a fairly rust free body. Heres a link to see 20 photos of a stock e350 anyone wanna buy the cargo shelves or divider in the back? I sold the ladder rack for $100 to a guy at the dealership- coooool.

I cant take the time off of work to do the roadtrip now, so I bought my friend a plane ticket and he's driving her back to LA today! He started with a quick removal of the am/fm radio.
10311204_500392200087879_165663701_n.jpg

Ill update more as we make progress. Right now Im working to sell my 2010 Tacoma, and starting to buy the 4x4 parts for the conversion, as well as a sound deadening and insulation kit.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Simple is awesome, and it looks like an excellent canvas to work with. Congrats and good luck, hope your build is faster than mine.

Last edited:

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Um weirdly- the name was pretty quick, its significant to us cause we had our first kiss while watching it :D Im trying to think of a rad custom license plate...

Heres a quick idea of the interior we are really digging from Outside Van.

naughty-dog10.jpg

They dont work on econolines, but according to a few folks on the sportsmobile forum some of the build work is being shared by Van Specialties who totally shread on econolines.

Last edited:

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Nah i live a but south. I was up there to grab hats at an embroidery shop nearby. Saw the sign and thought the name was hilarious.

Well- good news. The van is in my hands! Burned out to the desert saturday night to camp with some buds. The wind really picked up around 3 am. I was so happy to be rocked to sleep in a 7000lb van while my buddies tents were blowing away! Hahaha

ape4eze6.jpg

Taking her to my buds shop this week to get everything mechanically checked out and get the thumbs up to start building. More soon...

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Well- bad news. Got home and took her to the shop. Looking at a ton of repairs. Corroded water pump, huge oil galley leak, bald front tires, replace or repair several pulleys that look like a belt burnt onto them, general maintenance, and a leakey rear diff.

Made myself feel better by ordering fun stuff! 4 autometer gauges with the overhead gauge pod, weathertech mats, curt class IV hitch, and new side mirrors (ebay).

I added the diamond 4" exhaust to my cart- but its a no-ship to california because of the smog laws. I'm trying to find out if the DP f5 Tuner is ca smog legal...guessing it isn't.

Raul B

Explorer
Tech it's not carb approved but all you need to do is pull it off during inspection. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I have owned a Ford diesel performance business for almost 10 years now. Pm the part number for the exhaust and I'll call up my distributer on Monday to see if I can bring it in.

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Bad news: oil leak on top of the engine, oil and soot in the turbo, trans leak.

7ezegu8a.jpg

Good news: traded an old set of wheels and tires for a front 2003 dana 60!

a7eruhab.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven