Ace Vantura! ALLLLLLLLLLLRIGHTY then

ober27

Adventurer
That van sure looks nice and solid, after a few repairs you'll have a great van. I hope you keep sharing your build with us.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
just out of curiosity why weren't all these things checked on the pre-purchase?
the good news will be once you have fixed it all up it'll be hundreds of thousands of miles before you need to do it again.

ohpyramids

Adventurer
just out of curiosity why weren't all these things checked on the pre-purchase?

man, i wish it was different, but i did the best i could. i live in california and bought the van in virginia. distance is a *****, and there are very few RB econoline 7.3 vans with clean bodies and cargo doors. needless to say, im anxious to start putting the budget towards the 4x4 kit, interior, and pop top rather than mechanical goofs.

another quick update-

these hoses are toast.
coolantsystem.jpg

really crusty pullies. it looked like a belt had already destroyed itsself on there.
pullies.jpg

as soon as i dropped her off at the mechanic- she got her period! trans fluid everywhere.
transfluid.jpg

i think someone used the radiator for target practice. shes trashed!
radiator.jpg

thanks for the encouragement guys. its hard to see the forest for all the trees right now.

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Sorry for the crappy phone pic- but I'm on the road again!

ydasyty5.jpg

************** boost, trans temp, pyro, and fuel pressure gauges mounted up high with the autometer 4 gauge pod.

No leaks yet. Fingers crossed. Special shout out to Nemanich automotive concepts for all the labor and love on the 7.3. She was about to have a POWERstroke! Saved her from deaths door.

ohpyramids

Adventurer
GREAT NEWS. CLOSING A DEAL ON THE TACOMA TOMORROW. THAT MEANS VAN MONEY WILL BE ROLLING IN!!!

not much to report otherwise. did a bit of camping in sequoia...

10693407_357794021043182_1399804837_n.jpg

10655047_626400444142786_1294862411_n.jpg

general housekeeping...

15211910195_e67d929e85_c.jpg

and trying my hand at rust repair on the floor...

15025328948_2e8048d943_c.jpg

15025330488_a1a129f092_c.jpg

the floor isnt great, but considering she is an east coast van AND 11 years old, not too shabby! stay tuned for the fun part...

Campbulance

Observer
Looking forward to seeing your van progress. I too just purchased a van and am going to start building once my life settles down and also after I get through all the maintenance. I was lucky in the fact that my van seems to be decently sound in terms of what I have found so far. The engine bay seems fairly clean for having 220k+ miles. Good luck. Love the gauge pod to is that mounted above the windshield?

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Thanks man!

Its an autometer 4 gauge pod. I cant say that i would recommend it though. Its currently mounted to the windshield with sticky back Velcro, but every time the interior temp gets above 90 deg- the whole pod slides down the glass! So for now I have it pinched up to the headliner with a ram mount arm off a suction cup base. The new plan is to build out an overhead console that will get them closer to my eyeline.

Also great news-- sold the tacoma! Time to get some big 4x4 parts ordered!

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Just emailed Ujoint to order the kit today! 6" on 35's is the goal.

Also, just got a giant 50' roll of reflectix. Going to start insulating the sides and roof temporarily. First layer will probably be spray-in lizard skin thermal compound.

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Quick update: got the front axle rebuild in motion. Going with a LSD that uses a clutch pack and a friction modifier- but i spaced on the type, maybe a track lock, or something like that. Got 4.11 gears ordered for the front and rear. Moog and spicer parts are coming in for the axle rebuild as well.

But for now, just using the van to commute and get the dirtbike out to the desert.

f5e47594611a1adc100ad2c290362da0.jpg

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
What rear axle do you have to go with that D60? SF or FF?

The good news is, you now have a new water pump, radiator, hoses, belts, and a fresh fluid change in the transmission :sombrero: Probably too late since the shop did the work, but when I replace wear items (belts, hoses, etc) it's a good idea to save the old belt and hoses and stash them in van in case you need them for a quick road side repair in the middle of BFE nowhere.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Quick update: got the front axle rebuild in motion. Going with a LSD that uses a clutch pack and a friction modifier- but i spaced on the type, maybe a track lock, or something like that. Got 4.11 gears ordered for the front and rear. Moog and spicer parts are coming in for the axle rebuild as well.

But for now, just using the van to commute and get the dirtbike out to the desert.

f5e47594611a1adc100ad2c290362da0.jpg

Saweeet! I'm loving that.
One big consideration for our van is motorcycle gear . It takes up a lot of room.
Lets see some on sight desert pics!

ohpyramids

Adventurer
Mini update. Haven't been out to the desert, but I picked up the 6" spring pack at Atlas yesterday. Smiled all the way home.

3773b8ed2f5de707d653867af50f716a.jpg

I believe I have a semi float Dana 60 rear. It's whatever came on the 2003 van. The 2002 front f250 Dana 60 is being rebuilt now and scheduled to be done next week.

It's all coming together! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven