Across 4 mountain ranges in Death Valley ...

v_man

Explorer
Another way is to hook up to your spare and bury it mostly in the ground..
Btw, the memories created hanging out with your Dad in DV? Priceless.

Thanks guys , yes burying the spare tire was my first thought , and that's what I was going to do if the bollard didn't work , but I shudder to think of the effort and time required to dig a deep hole for a 37" tire , winch off it , and dig it back out ... and yea , time with dad is priceless :smiley_drive:

unkamonkey

Explorer
Spending time with your father on a trip like this is always good. It was a fathers/sons trip to Buena Vista CO. The "Boys" set up camp, did the cooking, clean up and hauled beers to the fathers.

mkitchen

Explorer
What a great way to spend a week.

Thank you for the thread. Your trip looked like it was a very good one and one that both you and your dad will remember.
I am impressed with the cabins and communities that you came across and it reflects the prior research you must have done.
Mikey
PS I noticed that you are from Redwood City. Though I went to many different schools, Sequoia High was one of my favorites.

Rusty762

Adventurer
I love that area and have done several trips out there with my Dad, I was just out there last year for two weeks and this makes me want to go again soon. Thanks for sharing!

Stovey

Team Ruptured Buzzard
Great trip report and pics!

Really loved it, you took me right there with ya...

All the best,

Stovey

Weeds

Adventurer
Loved the report. Thanks for taking the time to do it. The next time I go to DV, I need a guide like you.

wgyouree

KK6LZW
Great trip report! Death Valley is truly amazing, and spending time with family makes it even better. Also thanks for sharing the "bollard" tip! That may very well get me out of a tough spot one day!

jeepovich

Explorer
I love this trip report! My father is not as young as yours and lives 3000 miles away, but I would love to do something like this with him while he still can... He has told me many stories about backpack tracking/hiking across Siberia when he was in his 20's... Once again great trip report! Thanks for sharing.

I like your idea of the land anchor. Another trick to keep in mind if you can't find vegetation (works very well in soft sand), is to use your spare tire as an anchor. You would bury the tire at 45 degrees pointing away from the vehicle with a strap around it.

WOODY2

Adventurer
PRICELESS is the only way to describe your trip. It had all of the ingredients scenic, good weather and a dash of danger thrown in to make this what is easily called an EPIC trip. Wish I could've taken a trip with my dad when he was still alive. You are blessed my friend

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Thanks for bumping this to the top. Looks like an awesome trip in many ways. Well told and great pics too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven