Adult w/ vehicle ADD- Excursion vs 3/4T '88 Burb- need an intervention pls!!

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Cool.

I forgot that you service Land Rovers. That being taken into consideration I would do exactly what you are doing. I would hang on to that Disco forever because it is definitely the star of the fleet.

BushHead

Adventurer
On second thought you should sell that POS X, Its nearly worthless. I'll even do you a favor and come get it out of your yard for you...I'm just that kind of guy :)

Matt

bowstryder

Observer
I'm late to the party..... I am a big fan of the X, for those who don't know, the v10 in question is the subject of much debate. I have it in my motorhome that weighs about 15,500 and down south it'll see 12mpg all day. Though I'm still more in love with a Cummins the triton IS a good engine.......
That being said I run a 90 burb and LOVE it. However if you plan on towing that SBC will NOT last and fuel mileage will be terrible, with that platform after it grows up a bit.
And disco....well heck. If you have add that bad you will go absolutely insane if sell that phenomenal stable down to one! Keep em all or give me one.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Been driving the 'burb, and it is the near perfect DD for a country boy- though a little softly sprung. Forgot how nice it is to enter level- no up or down, just sit in it. Power is adequate at best, certainly not tow worthy for 8-10k#.Could be a very nice rig, but would take some work and dollars, so the X is the keeper. But no hurry to sell the 'burb ;-) Now, if I can just keep from modding it...
Oh, and fuel consumption is greater than the X by about 15%!! I too love the Triton 6.8!

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Just on parts sourcing... almost all the critical parts cross over with super duties of similar vintage (i.e. the most popular HD truck), so part sourcing for an X is hardly difficult or expensive.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Just on parts sourcing... almost all the critical parts cross over with super duties of similar vintage (i.e. the most popular HD truck), so part sourcing for an X is hardly difficult or expensive.

Agreed- have had a few SD's, and parts are not a problem in most of N, C, and S America.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Well, a bit of a twist today- found a very nice and modded '06 LR3, tow capacity right at 8k#, so works for me. This allows the 'burb to be the work horse, and sell the K30, the D-I, and the X- pretty good cash infusion in the end!! This does accomplish many things, and while still two vehicles, a great complimentary pair.
So keep an eye peeled for some nice modded and ready Expedition vehicles...
(now if I can just keep from moving the big block to the burb)

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
So this would be option E, which is my new favorite lol.

BTW Saw some pictures of your tracked Defender on Instagram, I've always been curious how those things work on non-snow/ice surfaces. It's a nice truck man.

Mankypro

That's a gorgeous X I'm getting a 4" bds put on mine next week. I assume that your 35" toyos don't run at all? What are the tire specs? Was the bumper necessary to clear them?

Here are a few quick driveway shots of the Excursion- Limited, rear a/c, heated seats, etc . 4" BDS w/ dual Fox shocks up front, Fox rears and steering stabilizer, Asfir winch bumper and skid, 10k# winch, 35" Toyos, Helwig antisway in rear, new updated headlights and everything base lined mechanically- new front hubs, fluids flushed, etc, etc:

View attachment 191006View attachment 191007View attachment 191008

Then the Suburban, while a bit unfair as it just arrived. 350 injected, TH400, lockout hubs, 68k miles, all original and in excellent condition from Ca and always garaged. I don't mind building it in similar fashion, but certainly don't need both. Truthfully, would love to get down to one vehicle, but that would be a first in over 40 years!!

View attachment 191009View attachment 191010

and for grins and giggles, the '99 Disco- locked, lifted 2", skids, diff guards, custom F & R bumpers, 8274, HD Defender steering, etc, etc:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I've had the Kamparoo, and while a nice rig, not near as versatile as the Sylvan

I have the Toyo A/T-II's and love them, 315s on the X, and only rub a touch at full lock and slightly stuffed- stock wheels, which is good for offset, but a tad narrow for the 315's though I have had no issues. I am pleased with the BDS, but encourage the quad front shocks as well as the upgraded Fox shocks/steering stabilizer. Thanks for the kind words by the way- best of luck with yours!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater