Adventure Trailer that can hold dirt bikes????? Examples or leads please.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
At Detroit Diesel we have a company that recycles metal shavings and they pick them up in a 4x4 Fuso with a box and a 10k lift gate on the back. So that's what I would do. That Isuzu is way too low to the ground. I'll try and get a pic if next time I happen to see them. I work in the offices but do go in the plant at at times. Nothing you haven't seen I'm sure but I'll try.

Quickie thread hijack--Since Oxrockrat and I obviously need this thing to haul our sidecar rigs, does anyone see any trick way to get them into the back? BYO ramps, right? It would have been nearly-irresistible with integrated loading ramps for ATVs and hacks.

DetroitDiesel . . . it's not mainstream, and has one of the world's worst departure angles, but it's strikes me as the sort of truck a family could have a lot of fun living and playing out of. Sad it's in Arizona, but maybe there's something like it closer to home. Lots of potential for different uses; I kind of like it.

How about a Tommy Gate type lift. Then you could use it as a deck out the back as well. And I dont think it will affect the departure angle or lack thereof.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Sorry for the delay in responding. I was camping in my Sprinter w/o any connectivity.

Stahl Truck Bodies is not far from you in Wooster, Ohio. You could probably learn a lot by calling them at 1-800-277-8245. I worked with them directly, but that was a fluke because of investigating a brainstorm I had to buy many and mod them up for overland travel. I suspect they'll want you to use a dealer if there is one close.

If the service body on that truck is in decent condition, I think you've got a great find. But note that is the longer body (ten feet, I would guess) rather than my 8-footer. As far as putting it onto a trailer, there's nothing theoretically in the way you except that you have to find a trailer (3500 pound single axle) with a frame the right size to fit under the body and an axle width that matches up to the wheel wells.

But if I was trying to do that, my biggest problem would be figuring out how to transfer the body, which is heavy and awkward. If you have access to a fork lift, or enough friends to bribe with pizza and beer, you're in good shape. Working by myself and with no magic lifting device, I'm not sure how I'd manage getting it on and aligned without a lot of blocks and jacks and a whole lot of time and effort.

The seller in the Craigslist ad must have been afraid of photographs, because it would have been useful to see a lot more. In particular, the cover over the service bed might also be a valuable thing. Looks like there's a lot of space under cover there, which would keep the bikes secure and give space for camping when you take them out.

Good luck.

Mike , thanks. We are onto something between this and yours. Could I put a roof on yours somehow? I do have a Stahl dealer I could hit with a 5 wood. And I've got some favors owed because I did their privacy fence when vandals cut into it.

Here's my idea off that van. Plus im in the biggest buyers market in USA so if I need to go to that dealer they are desperate for business like all Detroit businesses. But off that van I was thinking a little different but similar to you.

I'm thinking pull the cab off. Remove the motor trans and driveshaft. Cut the frame in front of the box and weld a cross bar and make a tounge off that. Like the guy making the ambulance trailer. Then it's sitting on a DRW Dana 70. Plus no removing the body. And I can run trailer brakes off the ones already there. Just convert the brake lines to an electric pump. Crazy or possible?

Otherwise I want something like yours but on a heavier than 3500# axle. And with a helmet top somehow.

Transfering the van to a new axle? Nah too much work on crusty old stuff. I'm sure I could have the place down street do as my favor. Just at that point I would need a custom frame and new axle. At that point I'm near your build.

Since you and Oz sound like members on ADV I'll speak adv for a second. I want to do the TAT, then Death Valley, then Baja then sell my dirt bike and keep my TE610 and go to Guatemala and go to Spanish classes. Then come north with the weather and buy another dirtbike and do the Continental didvide road south to north. Hitting Moab and Colo heavy and then head back east along the northern US border into the U.P. and back home. Taking a dirt bike and my te610. Mountain bike, fishing pole, dogs and no plan but fun. So I just need a support type truck like a base camp. Have a woman drive it or an old wily vet. You guys are welcome to join at any point.

Ozrocket did you buy the 75 ute 6x6 off AUS to USA? I saw one on there and a HJ47 troopy I fell in love with. Put a 1hd-fte in it oh boy. Use that for my trip. Nice to dream probably cost more than my trip.

Last edited:

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Ignoring most of what you posted except the "Dirt Bike" part. :)

M101-A3 trailer -> http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/882345-new-dirtbike-trailer-m101a3/

View attachment 282528

I thought the A3 had built in floor tie downs stock. One of them does. Maybe the 2. Or the m105 or the one that goes behind the deuce. M1101 or something. It's aluminum. This is the concept I want but like you said need a roof to stand up under. I was thinking put an s250 on a 103 and make double doors somehow. Any thoughts? The helmet top place stopped making them. Plus I'm towing behind a short bus so it wouldn't be as much of a sail boat as you were saying. Thanks.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Ozrocket did you buy the 75 ute 6x6 off AUS to USA? I saw one on there and a HJ47 troopy I fell in love with. Put a 1hd-fte in it oh boy. Use that for my trip. Nice to dream probably cost more than my trip.

That ute is one I have owned for over 20 years. Still sitting in AUS waiting for me. Only vehicle I didn't sell when I started working overseas. I keep thinking I will ship it over but after the comfort of the Freightliner it would be hard to go back to a Toyota cab.

dirtydeeds

Very timely thread.
My life has just slowed down enough that I can think about jumping back into my Transmogrifier build. (1994 Hino Box Van).

I'm also doing it so I can haul dirt bikes/have a garage and somewhere to sleep.

It started out with everything being in the 16' box. New family says we need a few more comforts and I'm good with that. Now I'm setting up the box as a garage and will pull a small holiday trailer with it.

I'll find some pics...

Edit: found some pics.
55bfa4c69be07af5d48b6c1d07e02be6.jpg

15998fa6beafd91ded8b020e55836871.jpg

b3767d5ba9213ede0cc7d0e4ed406468.jpg

I'll hopefully have some time soon to install a couple less that glamorous pieces. Trailer hitch, brakes, working radio.

Anyhow, to the OP: if I were to do it again I might find a Diesel school bus. Lots of room for bikes, living etc.
There's no shortage of wrecked busses for parts and generally school busses are almost given away. (My friend has got 3 for free.) They're a bit ugly but they can be a real bargain.

Last edited:

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Very timely thread.
My life has just slowed down enough that I can think about jumping back into my Transmogrifier build. (1994 Hino Box Van).

I'm also doing it so I can haul dirt bikes/have a garage and somewhere to sleep.

It started out with everything being in the 16' box. New family says we need a few more comforts and I'm good with that. Now I'm setting up the box as a garage and will pull a small holiday trailer with it.

I'll find some pics...

Edit: found some pics.
55bfa4c69be07af5d48b6c1d07e02be6.jpg

15998fa6beafd91ded8b020e55836871.jpg

b3767d5ba9213ede0cc7d0e4ed406468.jpg

I'll hopefully have some time soon to install a couple less that glamorous pieces. Trailer hitch, brakes, working radio.

Anyhow, to the OP: if I were to do it again I might find a Diesel school bus. Lots of room for bikes, living etc.
There's no shortage of wrecked busses for parts and generally school busses are almost given away. (My friend has got 3 for free.) They're a bit ugly but they can be a real bargain.

Hey thanks. We are on the same page. I'm trying to keep the bike separate from the sleeping area due to the smell of gas and all that. But then I'm opening my self up to cooking in the bedroom. So I'm trying to balance. I am going with a bus for the reasons you mentioned plus it's a blank canvas. And they come in so many varieties. Even like old folks home vans more shuttle type with the wheelchair ramp. So many fleet maintained either 7.3 psd or 8.3 cummins or big cat diesels with Allison trans. Usually have low miles and cheap.

I like the bus cause I can make screens for the windows and open up for venting when cooking. Can make a platform for the dogs to sleep on under my bunk. Like bunk beds but they get the windows. Plus a bus has roll over protection and industrial strength. Need to make custom hitch and winch on front. A small lift. Just for rough roads or washouts not true "off roading". A winch for sand.

I'll be watching your progress and have lots of questions. Especially about choices of supplies and estimated weights.

Thanks

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Yeah, pretty interesting the price you pay in ground clearance for the cool extra outside storage on that Isuzu. Looks like you could get it stuck on the lip of a concrete driveway.

So, about the service body trailer idea . . . Lots of interesting ways to configure it, including your innovative "cut off the front" idea. I wouldn't have any idea what that would weigh, but it probably wouldn't matter; Ford says the rear axle capacity on an E350 is 6840 pounds . . . and that payload (virtually infinite, for all practical purposes) would be a reason to consider doing it.

I spent a lot of time looking for something to fit into the service body to be a roof, and had a little trouble because the width between the wheel wells is 48.5 inches, and most things designed to go into pickup trucks (like campers and canopies with doors) are too wide at the base. But there are lots of service body trailers that have stand up height roofs; possibly the roof part is a separate component on some of them.

I like that you have an open-mind about how to get something to meet your needs. Good luck.

dirtydeeds

MHiscox; You're right, by no means does it have the ground clearance of a Unimog. Keep in mind, the tires on the HINO are almost 33". You certainly don't see delivery trucks stuck on curbs all over the city! It'll work just fine to haul a small TT down a dirt road to a staging area.

DetroitDeisel; the Handibus is a nice idea, then you get the ramp, too! I've looked in the past. They're generally in good shape but always more than I wanted to pay. I did find a beautiful 72 pass bus to convert a few years ago but there's a problem with them, too. They take up a lot of space. At the time I didn't have any. Also, school busses have a low ceiling height if you're 6-5. I like the 8' roof on the cube vans. A 20' box would have been nice, though.

I've seen some pretty awesome roof racks on busses, too. That's a great way to conserve living space. At least keep the extra gas outside.

You might want to check construction eq auctions. Sometime 4wd busses go through. You'd get the option of running a hydraulic winch. They're already lifted a bit, too.

dnellans

Adventurer
Jumping Jack was my solution to your problem. Hauls 3 bikes on top without issue, built a box into the tongue to hold 2x5gal premix jugs, loading ramp attaches to back of the trailer with some custom hooks.
Gear lives in the truck to stay clean and dry. Tent is about as glam as you could want, I lived out of it for 2 weeks straight on last dirtbiking trip to Laughlin, NV and couldn't ask for much more. Its easy enough to setup for just a day, but I also use the trailer for just hauling a zodiac on top and car camping out of a tent with my 2 year old sometimes.

IMG_2123.JPGIMG_2135.JPG

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
You can find our Flatbed trailer here.

IMG_6686.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG4962.jpg
    CIMG4962.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 34

Forum statistics

Threads