Advice on what truck to purchase? Crew cab vs suburban for family of 4+dog adventures

jhc5

Wow, so much excellent info. I've been discussing with my wife and I think we're both leaning suburban because if I'm being honest I'll probably be hauling people and dogs more than I'll be hauling anything else. I'm setting up some alerts for the 02-06 2500s. Thanks!

p nut

butter
I think this hits on the points made quite well. What I get out of the discussion is on the camping/ overland side, they both have small pluses and minuses. The big difference is for those other days not in the forest- it's Hauling people? Suburban- Hauling stuff? Pickup.

I must say though the suburban has more than enough head room to sleep. I have a ~20 inch tall drawer setup we are on top of , and we sleep and live inside fine. I'm sure a pickup has more headroom with the high toppers. RTT gives a whole other world, but when traveling with two, not having to put up a tent or deal with anything outside of the truck is nice (same could be said of the pickup).

I was going off memory--I thought roof height was ~40" (similar to an LC). For a single person, or maybe 2, it probably works ok. No way for my fam of 4. Plus, moving cargo in and out would get old. I guess it's all subjective, though. Some could make it work and actually enjoy it. Not me! :D This is all remedied with a tent or trailer, so shouldn't be a deciding factor. One thing I like about them Burbs though--they're super plush and comfy. Father has a Tahoe and carried both of them and 4 of us comfortably on a 6 hr road trip (12 total). I could fit 6 in my truck, but not as comfortably.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Suburban Z71 for sure. I am slowly loving my GMT800 now. After all the glitches were ironed out....It's very comfortable. great rig. adding the ford/lift key and spacer/H2 springs plus airbags in the rear. I am undecided weather I'm going to do the spring or just a spacer and airbag setup. Towing a camper is going to be a boon this year. Compared to lugging it around with my JK!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, so much excellent info. I've been discussing with my wife and I think we're both leaning suburban because if I'm being honest I'll probably be hauling people and dogs more than I'll be hauling anything else. I'm setting up some alerts for the 02-06 2500s. Thanks!

Just be aware that for every 2500 you find there are going to be a dozen or more 1500's. And some of the 2500s will have the 8.1 engine. When I was shopping I passed on an 8.1 because there's no way I need a 500 cubic inch motor.

rayra

Expedition Leader
"Roof is fairly low in the burb."

Not really a fair criticism, in the context. We're talking about transporting a family gaggle and all their stuff. Not sleeping everybody inside of it. Or an accurate one. Sub's got a 36" height at the Liftgate opening to the cargo floor, and 4" more inside. 40". Plenty of room to sit up and keep in mind that's where the 3rd row seat is installed. you can sit upright in the seat too. It's scarely any different than a cab-height cap on a pickup. Particularly with a typical platform kit in the latter.

Minus my 10" drawer / platform height it's still plenty of room for sleeping and moving around / getting some clothes on. It's a bed in a truck, not a mobile home or long-term camp use. and perfectly adequate for 1-2 people. I've got a $200 two-room 8-person ground tent if I want moving around room. or need to shelter more mammals.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
You can haul a ton of stuff behind the second row seat in a Burb. This is two bikes fork mounted with the seats at full height (I am 6') plus a two kid chariot with all its attachments, a kids bike and all my recovery gear and tools. I had an '05 1500 crew cab with a cap and this is just as tall if not more than the truck was.

The 2500's at a 2,850lb payload capacity too which means you would be hard pressed to max it.

Last edited:

jhc5

Upcruiser, your rig and build thread are great. Looks extremely functional and a great example of what I hope my trips will look like (road trip + remote destination for exploring the outdoors and camping).

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Upcruiser, your rig and build thread are great. Looks extremely functional and a great example of what I hope my trips will look like (road trip + remote destination for exploring the outdoors and camping).

Thanks. I really haven't had to do too much to it but that kind of speaks to the usefulness of the platform. It does a good job of blending a lot of elements of what makes a good traveling vehicle and gear porter. Above all else I just wanted something that will last a long time and allow us to use it a bunch of ways and spend as little time having to do anything to it. I have 4 project cars and I would rather spend my time working on those these days. We went from doing the really kitted out rigs in the past but we simplified it way back down to a ground tent and no bling. It's been great. I think some people get a bit carried away with the rig and not the point of traveling or getting into the backcountry as much. There is also something kind of cool about taking a Suburban into the woods or mountains on a family trip. It's just so much Americana I guess you could say. when so many popular vehicles these days fit into some stereotype or image the Suburban is still just this classless, unassuming, unpretentious truck. I dig the whole anonymous vibe of the whole thing, especially after parading around in kitted out looking trucks in the past that drew too much attention. All the stuff you would have to hang on other rigs you can stow discreetly inside. And I swear, a white GMT800 era Suburban is one of THE most anonymous vehicles on the road today. Haha

boss324

Observer
Dont fool around find a 2500 Burb they are out there. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6077689984.html

Everything is over engineered to handle heavy towing but also helps when dealing with the rigors being off road. I am glad I pulled the trigger on the 2500 beefier suspension, transmission and rear axles oh and a 38.5 gallon tank! I can get to most of the places I can fit a Suburban. Still paying off 14 years later...lol she is a keeper.

If you settle for a half ton go for one with the Z71 package.

Love the GMT800 stance with the BFGs no worries up in Tahoe!

Fully loaded with 8 passengers and all our snow gear!

Old Coast Road Big Sur - nice views not enough to challenge the beast...

HD running gear is why you want a 2500 Burb. still on the OE disc and pads!

Up front with the Cognito UCA Fox 2.0 shocks and Sumo bump stops she rides very nice!

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have to spring on some more suspension bits! that's it. I have timbrens up front for when the plow is attached. but those cognito arms are very nice. I have the shocks, I am just going to use the brackets to make them work with the 2" of lift. And I agree the BFGs look and work great.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Dont fool around find a 2500 Burb they are out there. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6077689984.html

Everything is over engineered to handle heavy towing but also helps when dealing with the rigors being off road. I am glad I pulled the trigger on the 2500 beefier suspension, transmission and rear axles oh and a 38.5 gallon tank! I can get to most of the places I can fit a Suburban. Still paying off 14 years later...lol she is a keeper.

If you settle for a half ton go for one with the Z71 package.

Love the GMT800 stance with the BFGs no worries up in Tahoe!

Fully loaded with 8 passengers and all our snow gear!

Old Coast Road Big Sur - nice views not enough to challenge the beast...

HD running gear is why you want a 2500 Burb. still on the OE disc and pads!

Up front with the Cognito UCA Fox 2.0 shocks and Sumo bump stops she rides very nice!

Your setup is perfect. If I do more to my truck it's going to be along these lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach