AEV Brute Expedition Build in Dubai

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
I saw your updates on OT. Looking good.

Thank you!

Rough cut for the back of the tub - now to remove more spot welds and more carefully remove specific parts, then get the doors mounted again along with the windshield, and then can set the rear wall into place. Before we know it this thing will start looking like a truck! Think we can call this the point of no return!

1269918_10151623318312647_1579823589_o.jpg

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
So here's a clever part... obviously the back driveshaft needs to be longer because of the stretch.. normally we'd have to almost finish the build and actually measure it. With the 3D CAD approach, the output of the transmission is measured from the old frame, and the position of the axle is measured on the new frame, and the two are overlaid on top of each other and the length can be measured. In reality, these two points are currently in completely different rooms and would be impossible to measure. :)

1271054_10151625748752647_1501672904_o.jpg

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Now this looks like progress! Beginning to align the back wall of the cabin! Once aligned, weld everything and can set the bed on the frame too and get the body mounts set in the correct location so the body lines are perfect... can't wait to see the body together!

1277352_10151626609182647_611489346_o.jpg

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
vent. all wranglers have them in the tailgate, your cherokee has one on the inner tub pannel in the back

Exactly. The Brute uses one from the 2003-2006 TJ Tailgate - mine's an '01 but already got that vent from parts.

If you didn't have one, you'd have a real hard time closing the doors because of the air pressure fighting back, and your ears would REALLY ring if the airbags went off.

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
Wow, I am stunned that a soft top TJ is that air tight... Guess I have to take your word for it.

As for my XJ Will, you should know that it's "vented" all OVER the place!

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Wow, I am stunned that a soft top TJ is that air tight... Guess I have to take your word for it.

As for my XJ Will, you should know that it's "vented" all OVER the place!

It's more of a problem with the hard-tops :) The soft top just balloons up temporarily ;) Back when mine was new - the vent was part of the hard top behind the window. I think in '03 they moved it to behind the spare tire for a cleaner updated look.

2001_JEEP_WRANGLER_SAHARA_HARDTOP_c870561413e698a3047c_1.jpg

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Update!

Thanks to a tip-off from a friend, found some used Porsche Cayenne optional Recaro Seats - pretty much exactly the model I wanted but with the higher side bolsters on the base - and as a bonus - they're electric for adjusting front to back! That's something you don't get buying direct from Recaro :)

Leather's seen better days, but they will be re-upholstered in black and red and will be good as new :)

1229966_10151636136932647_928701680_n.jpg

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Updates: The stock cage and the windshield re-installed along with the doors to make sure the gaps are all good.

1269908_10151650024117647_282933450_o.jpg

And a big update - the bed set in place to get the body mounts welded on to the frame.

920421_10151650024192647_1693603064_o.jpg

Sharp eyes will note that the line running down the bed and the line on the doors doesn't quite match at this stage - there are no bushings in the rear of the cab or the front of the bed hence the slight banana look :) When it's done it will of course be straight as an arrow.

SamM

Adventurer
AEV makes a rear spring correction kit. I'd fix the angle of those rear springs while was in there. The one thing that I did not like about my TJ was the wonky riding rear suspension.

Oh, this is an awesome build too! Love it!

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
AEV makes a rear spring correction kit. I'd fix the angle of those rear springs while was in there. The one thing that I did not like about my TJ was the wonky riding rear suspension.

Oh, this is an awesome build too! Love it!

Was thinking about just cutting off the spring perches and rotating them around and re-welding them - the bolt-on correction kits add more lift which I want to avoid when it's already 3.5" spring lift and highline fenders - should be enough. But to be honest - looking at it at the moment it looks like because of the stretch, the pinion angle will be much lower than on a shorter wheelbase Jeep, and the spring perches seem to be lining up much better already.

It'll be a last minute decision once the control arms are all done as to whether we move it or leave it. Everything's getting test-fitted before painting the frame anyway. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad