AEV JK suspension testing photo from today!

winkosmosis

Explorer
Your math is wrong. The length of the control arm and the lift height can't change as a direct percentge

They have to, if the angle is the same. If you have a right triangle with an angle of, for example 5 degrees, the ratio of the short side (the lift) to the slanted side (the control arm) will always be the same.

Cole

Expedition Leader
One of the guys on Colorado4x4.org posted this. Here is the quote. Thought it was interesting.

I had the privilege of driving behind a JK outfitted with the Nth Degree 3.5" kit on Golden Spike. From what I seen the AEV kit flexed like the Rubicon Express, TeraFlex, hybrid and Rancho kits that were also represented. It did everything that the other kits did and didn't stand out by lifting tires when tires should not be lifted.

I do not have any testimonials of how it drives on pavement other then the marketing speak by AEV but from what I've read and how I've seen it perform off road I am going to upgrade from my Rancho to this kit (Nth Degree 3.5" Premium) later this month.

Since everyone that posted on this thread is interested in real world performance while off road I decided to throw some comparison pics together. The following photos show side by side comparisons of the 3.5" Nth Degree kit compared to other brands in the industry.

aevVS_01.jpg

aevVS_02.jpg

aevVS_03.jpg

aevVS_04.jpg

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
At the expense of coming off as being contrary, it appears to me that the wheel placement is not identical between compared examples. The AEV vs RE comparison is pretty close though.

Need to do the exact same thing with identical lines.

The TeraFlex long arm appears to really have the rear axle articulated a lot and the Jeep has the weight bias back into the crack. The Jeep is not flat and level.

$0.02

alosix

Expedition Leader
They have to, if the angle is the same. If you have a right triangle with an angle of, for example 5 degrees, the ratio of the short side (the lift) to the slanted side (the control arm) will always be the same.

Its not a right triangle, all angles are changing.

Jason

winkosmosis

Explorer
Its not a right triangle, all angles are changing.

Jason

It's close enough to a right triangle. Lift is measured by the actual increase in height anyway, which is vertical. Since the frame of the vehicle is horizontal, there's your right angle.

Aggie

Adventurer
It's close enough to a right triangle. Lift is measured by the actual increase in height anyway, which is vertical. Since the frame of the vehicle is horizontal, there's your right angle.

I think I just got dumber from reading this post.

Cole

Expedition Leader
At the expense of coming off as being contrary, it appears to me that the wheel placement is not identical between compared examples. The AEV vs RE comparison is pretty close though.

Need to do the exact same thing with identical lines.

$0.02

I agree that the lines are all slightly different.

What you can see though is they are all articulating within the same range.

More importantly, they all have "enough" articulation to make it through a fairly twisty challenge.

Which all means that the on road performance is not going to leave you stuck on the trail because it won't articulate.

I think I just got dumber from reading this post.

Not that I disagree with the fact that his math seems off a bit; but is this what this forum is coming to already?

The first time I read a response like this was on Pirate back in '99. Lets raise the bar a bit; if you disagree with him you can simply choose not to respond to him.

I'm not saying I don't slip up from time to time, but when I do, I appreaciate a little constructive feedback. Hopefully you will as well. :costumed-smiley-007

winkosmosis

Explorer
Here, I drew a picture to show that for a given control arm angle, the ratio of liftA to liftB is the same as armlengthA to armlengthB. Please excuse the distortion from the closeness of the macro shot.

With a 4.5" lift and 22.5" control arms, the angle is 11.5°. 18.75" arms with that angle yield 3.75" lift. I measured first, then calculated the ratio, and it came out to the exact same 0.833333

3590372723_58db2d0b57_o.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
What you are still missing in the math is that 3.75" of lift on a TJ is not equal to 4.5" of lift on a JK.

A 4.5" lift on the JK allows you to run 37s. You need at least 6" of lift on a TJ to do the same. At which point the control arm angles are drasticly different.

With 4.5" of lift on a JK you are still not at the angles that usually cause a TJ owner to need to go long arms. As pointed out before that is roughly 7" of lift on a JK before you run into the angle that a TJ is at when long arms are required.

winkosmosis

Explorer
What you are still missing in the math is that 3.75" of lift on a TJ is not equal to 4.5" of lift on a JK.

A 4.5" lift on the JK allows you to run 37s. You need at least 6" of lift on a TJ to do the same. At which point the control arm angles are drasticly different.

With 4.5" of lift on a JK you are still not at the angles that usually cause a TJ owner to need to go long arms. As pointed out before that is roughly 7" of lift on a JK before you run into the angle that a TJ is at when long arms are required.

7" * 0.833333 = 5.8"

You'd go to 5.8" on a TJ without switching to longarm?

The OP is about 4.5". That's the same LCA angle as 3.75" lift on a TJ, which IMO is too tall for shortarms. The point is though, the lift:lca stays the same for a given control arm angle.

Edit: I thought TJ, WJ, and XJ all had the same LCA length, so I was going by XJ lift heights. 4.5" would be equivalent to 3.15" on an XJ, which is normal for shortarms.

Last edited:

Aggie

Adventurer
Worse than your Aggie education left you?

Ah no I came out of the A&M Engineering Department much worse than that post. That Aggie Education is damn near worthless! :D My comment was made in fun.

Look my point is this, all of ya'll are making some VERY extreme generalizations about the Geometry of both of these models of suspensions that I don't think can be boiled down to simple ratios and SOHCAHTOA principles with right angle triangles. There is quite a bit more to them. Of course I am being lazy and not putting the pencil to the paper so at this point all I have is Nay say.

And to the guy that Compared Expo to Pirate.... Please. We are at 2 beers and a Zoloft of chill at this point compared to Pirate rowdiness. Enjoy yourself and laugh every once in a while. That's what I do :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater