After 8 years in a full size, moving back to a mid-size - Recommendations?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
My utterly useless suggestion is... keep your F150... and park it outside, forget about the hail damage, and also stop worrying about door dings! None of the midsize trucks will be as nice or good for towing. Does anybody really park their vehicles in the garage? That's the workshop, man...
I had the same thought.

rruff

Explorer
Oh HELL no.
Of course, do whatever you like. But... a carport over the driveway would take care of the issues you mentioned. I used my "workshop" to sand fiberglass, cut, grind, and sand aluminum and stainless steel... and it's thorough mess... and my meticulous system of organization (total chaos) would be upset by removable elements... 🤪

Markal

I’ve been testing all the mid sized vehicles (trucks and SUVs) and have a few thoughts. I plan to buy within a year, after I test the new offerings coming in 2024. Keep in mind I’m new to 4x4 and I’ve never had or driven a full sized. I’m also in Colorado and generally also prefer suv format. I also like a little luxury in my travel vehicle.

Current Tacoma is unacceptable to me given the odd seating position. Some people don’t mind it, but you see it in most reviews. Give one a good test. Supposedly they changed it with the coming 2024.

Right now the Frontier Pro-4x is probably my leading candidate due to value, comfort and reliability. But it’s a notch below the others in terms of tech and features. It does not have a built in trailer brake controller. But I really like how it drives and I like the styling.

The new Colorado is pretty darn good but you notice that turbo - loud at times, and definitely surges in ways I find a little annoying. I’m not sure I trust a new GM drivetrain. But it’s got better features available (nicer screen, better cameras), more luxuries available (cooled seats), and drives very nice and smooth. I tested the z71 but would like to try a ZR2.

The current Ranger is meh. The new one looks interesting.

Consider waiting for the new Land Cruiser or GX or Tacoma. I’ve got my eye on the Land Cruiser, capability, good mpg, some luxury, in a good size suv.

The current GX will easily tow your trailer but it needs a lot of mods go off road. And its styling is very Lexus. But it’s capable and legendary for reliability. I find the current 4Runner to be unacceptable for daily driving - slow, lumbering, feels much bigger than it is. I’d take a used GX over a 4Runner and live with the styling.

Those are my impressions after a lot of test drives, coming from a current Subaru driver.

Last edited:

luckyjoe

Adventurer
But, with retirement looming.........the house has the 3 car garage I insisted on. But here's the rub: The "depth" of the garage (front-to-rear) is 19.3 feet, according to the MLS listing.

So that leaves me the compact trucks:

* Ford Ranger
* Chevy Colorado
* Nissan Frontier
* Toyota Tacoma
I have a hard time believing you will enjoy towing with any of those vehicles, especially given your tow-vehicle history.

Enjoy the new phase of your life! That's awesome.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have a hard time believing you will enjoy towing with any of those vehicles, especially given your tow-vehicle history.

Enjoy the new phase of your life! That's awesome.
The new turbo 4 engines would probably out tow an old GMT 800 suburban with a 5.3L.
The new GM twins, the upcoming Ranger and Tacoma when optioned probably should be able to handle a 4,000 lb wet Rpod okay.
Personally, I'd have no problem towing a 4,000 lb wet Rpod with any of these new turbo 4 trucks. NA V6's, I'd probably pass on.
I've seen people tow way more with these trucks....
But, guessing current OP's F150 would out perform any midsizer while handling the weight better.

86F461C2-0078-4D58-9B11-88262A4D627D.jpg
toyota-tacoma-towing-big-trailer.jpg
2019-Lance-trailer-with-Ranger-013-800x500_c.jpg

42814C7C-865E-47DC-9206-69A9571940CC.jpg
20170118_143220.jpg
image_1453133193469.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've never sat in a Ranger or driven one but I do like the look of them. The piddly gas tank is a huge turn-off though. It's unfortunate that manufacturers seem to not take fuel capacity into consideration when they design a vehicle (especially a compact truck.)

Fuel capacity is literally the only reason I crossed the Silverado off my list when shopping for a new truck in 2019. It's also the primary reason I went with the F-150, for its 36 gallon tank.

My F-150 gets 8 - 11 MPG when pulling the trailer through the Rocky Mountains. With my 36 gallon tank that means I generally have 300 miles between fuel stops. Assuming similar mileage on a Ranger I'd be stopping twice as often, basically every 150 miles or so. In my mind that's unacceptable for a vehicle that is being used in the Rocky Mountain West.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Speaking of fuel capacity, one thing that I think people don't realize is that having more fuel capacity saves you MONEY. It saves money because you can plan your fuel stops to get fuel at places where the fuel is cheaper.

If you're on E and you pass through a small town with one station, you're paying their price for fuel whether you want to or not (and yes, I realize you could just get enough expensive fuel to get you to the nearest station with cheaper gas - I've actually done that - but that also comes with a cost in terms of time and inconvenience.)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I've never sat in a Ranger or driven one but I do like the look of them. The piddly gas tank is a huge turn-off though. It's unfortunate that manufacturers seem to not take fuel capacity into consideration when they design a vehicle (especially a compact truck.)

Fuel capacity is literally the only reason I crossed the Silverado off my list when shopping for a new truck in 2019. It's also the primary reason I went with the F-150, for its 36 gallon tank.

My F-150 gets 8 - 11 MPG when pulling the trailer through the Rocky Mountains. With my 36 gallon tank that means I generally have 300 miles between fuel stops. Assuming similar mileage on a Ranger I'd be stopping twice as often, basically every 150 miles or so. In my mind that's unacceptable for a vehicle that is being used in the Rocky Mountain West.
I was curious so looked to see if Ford addressed this with the redesigned 2024 Ranger.... Nope. 18.8 Gallons.
Guess they didn't read all the negative comments online from owners complaining about the small tank while towing, haha

I did read that Rangers with the upcoming 2.7 TT V6 may have a larger tank. But guessing with the bigger engine, range would be about the same. For comparison, I wonder what the tank size is in the other upcoming 2024's?

Wallygator

Adventurer
Didn't read the whole thread but I would choose the Nissan Frontier hands down over all the others if I was going back to a midsize truck. Between the price, long bed option with a double cab, NA motor, proven reliability, increasing aftermarket support, etc,....I feel it's the best choice. YMMV

jaxyaks

Adventurer
All the trucks are pretty close on Fuel tank size I guess it will come down to towing mpg for range.

Nissan Frontier. 21 gallons

Toyota Tacoma 21.1 gallons

Chevy Colorado 21 gallon

GMC Canyon 21 gallons

Jeep Gladiator 22 gallons

Ford Ranger. 18.8 Gallons

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Didn't read the whole thread but I would choose the Nissan Frontier hands down over all the others if I was going back to a midsize truck. Between the price, long bed option with a double cab, NA motor, proven reliability, increasing aftermarket support, etc,....I feel it's the best choice. YMMV
Bonus is the Retro Hardbody redo they have this year

2022-nissan-frontier-concept-by-nissan-design-america-121-1644349326.jpg

ChasingOurTrunks

@Martinjmpr - my use case is very similar to yours (4500 lbs camper that I tow behind a midsize)

I currently use a GM Canyon (Exact same as Colorado) and it's been great - it's a phenomenally good little adventure truck in terms of it's off-road ability and comfort, and I think it's fantastic on the highways and in cities. The NA V6 is very peppy, and it's turning circle and overall size make it a joy to drive in virtually any city or town. I've posted elsewhere that I joke that it is a "Sports Truck" because it's such a fun driving experience compared to my last full size which was decidedly "truck like", but I still don't hesitate to really thrash this thing off road from time to time and it takes it all and comes back for more.

Mine tows pretty good in terms of how it handles; I've towed 7000 lbs a couple of times, but primarily tow a 4500 lbs single axle camper. It's worth noting that the truck is built out for Overlanding basically at all times for the past couple of years - meaning I'm running close to my GVM just in truck form, and when I add the trailer I'm likely one of the heavier mid size truck-and-tow combinations on the road.

The truck is lightweight even at max - 6,000 lbs -- so my opinion is that a good quality trailer makes a huge difference on the tow experience. Mine is not a good quality trailer; it's a single axle on leaf springs so it bounces down the road like a damn kangaroo, and it's actually quite big and has got quite a big cross section that catches lots of wind, which I will say overall makes the towing experience not as good as it could be even with my weight distributing hitch. But I will reiterate - that's my particular trailer. As soon as I have the funds, I will likely be swapping the trailer to one with better suspension - the heavier trailers I have towed with better suspension tow like a dream. However, I mention this as you too may be blessed with a trailer of questionable quality, and if you're not in a position to upgrade that, it might be a consideration for you.

The only other caveat here - the V6 gasser has to rev pretty high to tow up hills; it can do so with confidence and is great at maintaining speed uphill, but in doing so it REALLY drinks the gas. I live in the PNW so every trip is up and over mountains, for me those published mileage figures are comically untrue -- as in, I'll regularly see 20-30 Liters/100 km when towing my trailer (8 - 11 MPG) in my region, which means I'm using about half a tank of gas in an hour of driving, meaning I'm stopping for fuel every 90 - 100 minutes, which is a lot. Without my trailer, I tend to get about 14 L/100 around the city and regularly can get under 12 L/100 on the highways (keep in mind I have ruined the aerodynamics with my bull bar and roof tent which adds to this) so this extra consumption when towing is significant. I bought the gasser because I had a desire to travel internationally with it, but if I were to do it again the ONLY thing I would change knowing I would be towing with it is to spring for the Baby Duramax; I've been told that the MPG doesn't really change at all for the Diesel when towing as compared to the gasser.

I do not know if the current gen of Twins have the Duramax available but there would be some used ones if you are interested.

Hope that helps and happy to answer any questions you have.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
It looks like you now can get the Frontier Crew Cab in the 6’ bed:

“The Frontier King Cab has less room inside but comes standard with the longer six-foot bed option. 2024 Pricing for the Frontier King Cab S 4x2 starts at $29,770 before destination, taxes, and options. The top SV King Cab 4x4 starts at $35,760. Nissan offers the Frontier Crew Cab with a five- or six-foot bed and pricing that starts at $31,070 for the base Crew Cab S 4x2 model. The top SL Crew Cab 4x4 model costs $42,640 before options and destination.”

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The only other caveat here - the V6 gasser has to rev pretty high to tow up hills; it can do so with confidence and is great at maintaining speed uphill, but in doing so it REALLY drinks the gas.

It's funny that I see a lot of people saying this, as if they think the F-150 just lugs along at low RPM when towing up a steep hill?

Uh, yeah, that'd be a no, for sure. The engine screams at ~ 5000 RPM when topping an 11,000 pass, just like the Suburban did.

The difference is that in the Suburban I was in 1st gear and going at most 25 mph. In the F-150 I'm in 3rd gear and going 55+. But it still revs very high and fuel consumption is terrible, in the single digit range.

In fact, I get excited if I'm able to get 11 MPG towing. It usually only happens when I'm doing most of my travel on relatively flat roads. In the mountains, 7 - 10 is more where I see my MPG at. And that's burning 91 octane premium (the highest you can get here in Colorado.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater