Alaskan Camper Build Up

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Very sad to hear, but your new build is sounding very nice. I'll be curious to see what mods you made on your last camper will be integrated into the new one, and what won't.

-Chris

haven

Expedition Leader
Tough luck! Your camper was one of my personal favorites. Please let us know if the true cause of the fire is found.

The good news is that you were already thinking about the new project. It speaks volumes that you are sticking with Alaskan Camper. Please keep us posted on your plans and progress. Do you have any diagrams of the camper layout you ordered?

Kilroy

Adventurer
Carl,
So sorry to hear what happened. As mentioned, at least you or anyone else wasn't injured.

But so much time and effort you put into the build, over and above any cost. Know it's tough.

If not satisfied with insurance company, you might want to look into hiring an independent insurance adjuster who only works for you. I've heard good things about doing this.

Good luck.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Carl;
That really SUCKS!
I'm so sorry to see all your hard word go up in smoke.
May I suggest a diesel furnace in the new camper and a small electric heater for when shorepower is available (when parked in cold weather)? One good example is the Webasto Dual Top that provides heat and hot water in one small package.
I hope this does not discourage you too much. You did a great job of documenting your camper build, and I hope you continue the trend with your new one.
Cheers
Mark

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies again. Dave, I have already accepted the insurance settlements on the camper and trucking the interest of speed. I'm sure the insurance company thought they were quite fair. OutbacKamper, how noisy are the Webasto's?

Any ideas on a three point mount?

Carl

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Just read this from end to end... was such a good read, until the page before this. Sorry that you guys lost this, and even though insurance payed out "some" of your money, a loss is still a loss. Cant wait to see the new build!

ScottReb

Adventurer
Hey Carl just heard about your rig sorry. Bryan told me. We just picked ours up Thursday. Were sitting on the beach in OR as I type. Randy said you were getting another Ute too. I was amazed at how slick the bed is. I also some of your packages in the shop already.
Glad to see you're going with the Dodge... :D
Any reason you're not going with the cabover again?
Good luck and sorry again.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Sorry to read what happened. Enjoyed reading it, my goodnesses it's going on 4 years already.
FWIW... Not trying to arm chair quarterback what happen, but I never leave anything on in my Rigs unattended, not even a battery charger.
Vehicles aren't like stationary houses, they have lots of wires, fuel supply lines and connections that can and do vibrate loose.
And modifying them only adds to potential problem areas.

BCHauler

Adventurer
That is terrible news. Must be disappointing after all of your work and preparation. Best to focus on the positive: whatever happened, best that it happened at home when no one was inside. Could have been much, much worse.

Carlyle

Explorer
Here is the starting floor plan for the camper that my wife, Donna has already modified.

IMG_0006.jpg

The more we talk the more we want to delete propane for the camper and would like to hear form any one that has had experience with diesel heat. Mark, the intrepid adventurer, brought up the Webasto system. The more I look, the more I like... Anyone with experience in them please pipe up or forward this on.

Thanks,

Carl

Carlyle

Explorer
Hey Carl just heard about your rig sorry. Bryan told me. We just picked ours up Thursday. Were sitting on the beach in OR as I type. Randy said you were getting another Ute too. I was amazed at how slick the bed is. I also some of your packages in the shop already.
Glad to see you're going with the Dodge... :D
Any reason you're not going with the cabover again?
Good luck and sorry again.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hi Scott,

Back up lights for the back and inside Hella map lights that we had on the last camper. Glad to hear your build is done and you are enjoying your camper now. The main reason I did not want the cab over is for internal storage and a warmer bed in the winter. We had that fixed in the last camper by having a storage pod on the back and we were quite happy with that.

Carl

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Here's some pictures from my Rig's Espar Airtronic. The fuel tank is used for the on board generator, it could work with the Espar heater too.
The heater works great, last winter at about -0 F and a much lower wind chill, it easily could produce enough heat to make it uncomfortably hot inside the Rig.
148476_1718228800109_1369941973_1848164_1282828_n.jpg

73877_1718228160093_1369941973_1848160_6299575_n.jpg

75859_1718227920087_1369941973_1848158_6307355_n.jpg

75839_1713390599157_1369941973_1840026_2532665_n.jpg

149747_1713392279199_1369941973_1840037_3472273_n.jpg

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Hi Carl,

Very sorry to hear about the camper :(

I would talk with Marc at XPCamper about the Webasto DualTop (furnace and water heater).

There's also a cook top that they make, too.

If you like, please PM me a way to send you the data sheets I have - could not get them to upload to here...

Here is the starting floor plan for the camper that my wife, Donna has already modified.

The more we talk the more we want to delete propane for the camper and would like to hear form any one that has had experience with diesel heat. Mark, the intrepid adventurer, brought up the Webasto system. The more I look, the more I like... Anyone with experience in them please pipe up or forward this on.

Thanks,

Carl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven