Alaskan Camper Build Up

Carlyle

Explorer
You're in the tire business so I'm sure you know what's going on more than me.

The more I look at the G622, the more I start to like it. Maybe not as aggressive as the G124, but who knows. Now all I need to find out is how they are in ice, snow, dirt and mud.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
All I can give you on the traction is what Goodyear publishes on a scale of 1-10.

And even though they write my paycheques, I wouldn't put too much stock in that 1-10 scale. lol

You can't beat real world experience from real world owners on that sort of thing. In your travels you might stop at truck stops from time to time? Take a look around in the parking lot and see what guys are running on the big rigs.
Chances are if you see a lot of one or two types of tires, those are the ones that are lasting the longest and giving the best traction in that particular area.
Big rigs tend to run specific tires for specific areas/conditions, and when you are replacing 8 drive tires at a time for big $$$$$$ you tend to choose your tires very carefully. ;)

Last edited:

dzzz

mpt81 - air down well, quieter on the highway than most tires of this type. Good in the 12K - 26K gvw range. Really thick sidewall, and a good price for the size/type of tire.

boblynch

Adventurer
MPT81s

I'll let you guys know how they work out. This week I ordered a set of 20x11 steel wheels and MPT81 335/80R20 tires for my F550. If all goes well they'll arrive after the holidays. Also, for those interested in MPT tires, but not running a lift, they also come in 275/80R20 and fit a 20x9.00 rim.

762X39

Explorer
I am running MPT81's in 275/80R20 on my Unimog and I love them.I think you should be very happy with them on your Superduty.They can handle a lot more weight than my truck can and the performance both on and off pavement is superb.:coffee:

Carlyle

Explorer
Here's a picture of the 20" Continetals on a F350

rig5.jpg

dzzz

Those are the 275?
Personally, I would cut more and do less lift. Or maybe raise the camera position. That suspension would be a nightmare with a camper.

boblynch

Adventurer
Those look more like the MPT 365s, not the 275s or 335s. They might a Mog, but are way too tall for the Ford.

Carlyle

Explorer
From the website:

http://www.billgart.com/f350.html

The MPT 80. The size is a 12.5R20 which is equivalent to a

335/80R20. Continental rates this tire at 40.7" tall and a tread

width of about 10.5". The maximum load rating is 4410 lbs. per tire.

This means I will be running much less than the maximum of 51 psi ....

probably around 30 psi.

A little smaller tires and less lift would certainly be more realistic with a camper on board.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Theres a guy on Pirate 4x4 running 40's on a 05 f-350 with 4" lift....its nice and low. I think his shop is houseofdiesel but his personal ride photos are on pirate. he used an icon 4link long travel kit and some trimming.

It came out great.

I looked at the photo of the superduty you posted and it looks like he put a 12" lift on it from his website.

I cant seem to post a pic...

DT75FLH

Adventurer
here it is

looks like a conti 275-80-20 is equal to a 37" tire....very manageable with a small lift but max speed is 110Km

Last edited:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
From the website:

http://www.billgart.com/f350.html

The MPT 80. The size is a 12.5R20 which is equivalent to a

335/80R20. Continental rates this tire at 40.7" tall and a tread

width of about 10.5".

I'm having trouble with these posted measurements...
I've tried to find the info directly from Conti's website, but not surprisingly it doesn't seem to be listed. I've been working for various tire distributors for about 3.5 years now, and I have no love for Conti tires, whether they have a passenger, light or medium truck application.
So that is my personal bias.

However, with simple math, that posted tread width at the very least is a bit misleading.
There are 25.4 mm in one inch.
So 335 mm (which is the section width NOT the tread width mind you) equals approx. 13.2 inches.
Now, if the tread is almost 3 inches narrower than the section width (sidewall to sidewall measurement) than that is somewhat unusual when looking at other tires, and means that the sidewalls balloon out quite a bit.

I'd like to see Conti's data sheets to confirm what I'm thinking, or prove me wrong. Unfortunately I don't have access to their product information in a hard copy, and can't find it online.
I will try calling around to other suppliers on Monday and see if I can obtain a copy of the product info.

The only reason I'm bringing this up is because I would be concerned if anyone is thinking that the tire itself is only going to be 10.5" wide, they buy 5 or 6, get them mounted and they are too wide to fit the vehicle. You often times won't be able to return tires that have been mounted, or you will face significant penalties to do so.

boblynch

Adventurer

Rot Box

Explorer
Awesome buildup! I just read through the whole thread again :coffee:

I really like all the custom features you've added. Gives me great inspiration for mine. Looking forward to more updates :wings:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven