Alaskan Camper Build Up

boblynch

Adventurer
I think Carl's referring to something like this on a F550 4x4. It's a 13ft camper on a Sprinter. They used a standard floorplan and added storage under the bed. They will also use a shell of this type and build a custom floorplan.

alaskan on sprinter.jpg

sprinter passthru storage.jpg

interior5.jpg

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Talking Past Each Other a Bit

I don't think there's evidence that Alaskan needs to build a better subframe.

I do wonder, however, if their standard design doesn't benefit from having only the center touch the bed. That's the most neutral area, and there's no weight directly over the rear wheels.

In a full flatbed build contact with the bed is triple. It must flex more.

Truck campers, like the Alaskan, have no subframe; they use the truck bed to hold the camper and distribute the weight. Thus your "stack" is Camper-pickup bed-chassis. Carl removed the pickup bed and replaced it with a flat bed, but the stack is the same. But the issue remains; you still need something between the chassis and the camper; you can't bolt a conventional truck camper directly to the chassis.

This "something" has a couple of goals:

-- Protect the camper from an unacceptably high degree of twist. Obviously, the "stronger" your camper, the less protection needed. Hence my musing that you could design a camper with an integrated base frame that was ready to mount directly to the chassis.

-- Reinforce the chassis or or at least distribute the weight so as not to act as a stress concentrator. As noted in many posts, some pivot designs, while protecting the camper from twist, have had the unfortunate side effect of concentrating all of the weight on only three or four mounting points and thus breaking the frame.

In the process, of course, you seek to add as little extra cost, weight, complexity, or height.

I asked the question as it appeared that the flat bed that Carl is using has been stiff enough on a one ton pickup to accomplish the mission. I would expect that it would work even better on a larger truck. I was thus interested that Carl would propose using a pivot frame on a larger truck when I would guessed that it would have been even less necessary than on the one ton truck. Especially if he goes to a simpler, rectangular camper without the suspended weight of the cabover.

Offered for consideration. Fortunately I still have my day job and don't have to bet my paycheck on this! :)

dzzz

No cab over?
Why would you eliminate the cab over? 14' will need the longer wheel base, and put the rig at about 26' with a supercab. I suppose it could be built on a regular cab, but that gives little room in the "cockpit".
26' and a long wheelbase is pretty much a bus.

Carlyle

Explorer
An Alaskan w/o a cab over is a more sealed unit in the winter. In addition, there is X amount of junk, stuff that we take on all our trips eg. the barbecue comes along always. We can either have it off the back and change our departure angle and add extra time to set up, which we do. On the other hand, you could integrate it and probably expand the water tank at the same time. The 30 gallon tank at this point is our biggest limiting factor when headed to the boonies. Bus, I doubt it. Just a different approach I would do if I were to start all over.

tlbrewer

Observer
Carl

Excellent article. Always love reading your updates and evaluations. Nothing like having a testbed so the rest of us don't have to learn from our own mistakes. HaHa. Funny that you mention not having a cabover if you were to do it again. I was just thinking about that the other day...

Tom

KU9L

Overcab vs. not

My wife and I find the overcab options tough to deal with since we have 25 year-old motorcycle injuries, probably why we never purchased a TC over the years. We have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 3500HD w/dually and 11' flatbed that we pull our 30' 5W with these days (full-time workampers). I was trying to decide how to make a TC work with our 11' flatbed and headache rack, but we are limited to about 4000 pounds total W/TC to meet our current hauler 12K GVWR. We went with our current hauler because it was half the price of a cowboy Cadillac, but think that for me to do it right with a TC that will do us justice I need to go to a MDT to start with. I'll see if I can dig up an image of our hauler ...

Dave

Carlyle

Explorer
I haven't had any issues with overhang as of this time. As I stated before, I don't off road, just back road. Though some of the back roads can be pretty gnarly. I've backed the new hitch extension into some dirt and snow a few times, but that's about it. As far as going longer, I think I would want to get a chassis stretch and a mild lift before I went to more overhang. I really don't know what's involved in a stretch, but it looks like a better solution for a longer camper. That's one reason I kept this camper to this length.

The rub rail is nice and keeps prying eyes away from tank valves.

How's BC these days? I miss my old stomping grounds.

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks! Glad you like it, feel free to come down to Canon some time and see it if you're interested.

Last edited:

78Bronco

Explorer
DSC01734.jpg

"Beverage" opener on side of flat bed

This is the most important part of the build:drool:

Nice camper!:coffeedrink:

Carlyle

Explorer
We've been camping all over Colorado this summer, Most good and one bad. We also made a few small add on's to the camper to make things a little easier.

Propane quick release fittings on passenger side for outside stove and barbecue, in addition to the existing compressed air quick release:
P8040279.jpg

Propane quick release fitting on driver's side for generator use, in addition to the existing compressed air quick release:
P8040284.jpg

Storage pod by Let's Go Aero is tipped slightly so that it is even when loaded and pulled out for door access:
P8040287.jpg

Alaskan camper convention!
P7280272.jpg

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Now that you have some miles on the rims and tires are you still happy with them?

would you do it again?

are the tires ok in the rain

nice build up. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven