Alaskan Camper Build Up

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Moving blanket

Hi Carlyle,

I continue to be impressed and inspired by your build...

You mentioned something there that made my ears perk up. I'm thinking about making a custom moving blanket as a velcro-able cover for our pass through. Try to cut down some of the noise and cold coming in to the cab.

Did you find someone good who can make these for you? Could you share a recommendation/referral? I was thinking that I'd have to make them myself, but my sewing is worse than my cooking!

Thanks & stay warm,
Jay.

Carlyle

Explorer
I have a local guy that can sew pretty much anything and is reasonable in cost, pm your email to me and I'll hook you up.

fisher205

Explorer
Great to see the Alaskan is working well. Watch the cover on the back door especially with the water vapor from your catalytic. At the temps you wre talking about it might freexe up. Mine froze up a towel I used to seal the gap at the door and it wasn't near as cold as what you were at. I forgot to copliment you on the vent covers. Did they work good in the cold? - Brad

Carlyle

Explorer
With time on my hand this winter I came up with a few more projects for the camper. The one thing the Alaskan camper needs is a better door. Don't know how to design it how if it could be done, but it leaks cold in the winter and has a minuscule screen. After a little thought and help from a local who can sew almost anything I now have both covered.

DSC02087.jpg

Door insulator that snaps in place. Half inch foam sandwiched between two layers.
DSC02086.jpg

Full size screen door for summer time ventilation without the bugs.
DSC02089.jpg

Outside view of screen, acts as privacy screen as well. Sorry about the dirt, it's that time of year...
DSC02091.jpg

Screen rolled up for travel
DSC02093.jpg

fisher205

Explorer
The covers look great. I can't wait to hear how they work. Mine has a roller screen that pulls down over the top half of the door and works fairly well. It does allow a few bugs through. Your rig is really coming along. - Brad

Carlyle

Explorer
The screens are in place with snaps only, I find that velcro wears out too quick in that type of application. I'm hoping this will do the trick.

Carlyle

Explorer
Latest addition to the camper:

I got an incredible deal on a Viair on board air system that consists of two 400 series compressors and two 2.5 gallon air tanks. They are plumbed in tandem and produce enough air for all my needs and some of those in the future too.

Two compressors and tanks mounted under the flat bed. Fab work was all done locally at shop. Boy, do I need to clean those Bilsteins' off...
DSC02103.jpg

Quick disconnects on either side of vehicle:
DSC02105.jpg

On/off switch in cab of truck. The system sits around 125 psi and I went without the gauge for lack of room as I have seven mounted already:
DSC02106.jpg

Last edited:

Kilroy

Adventurer
Do you plan on any offroad? I would be worried about your air fittings, and your fuel filler sticking out and being vulnerable to getting knocked off.

psychohawk

Observer
Carl,

7 guages? What do you have? Currently I have exhaust, PSI and tranny temp on the pillar; I want to add a couple more above the rear view mirror but am uncomfortable with how they'll look up there ... where did you add yours? Pictures? 4 on the pillar and 3 above the mirror?

Thanks,
Carl

Carlyle

Explorer
Dave,

We really don't go "off road" per se, we more go on back roads, unimproved roads and fire roads. The weight etc really doesn't make this an off road machine. Plus, I would shudder to think of a rock running down the side of my camper close enough to take out my quick disconnects... I'll hit my mirrors long before anything else.

Carl,

I am currently running in gauges: EGT, fuel pres, oil pres and temp, tran temp, boost pres and a voltmeter. Four on the pillar and three on the bottom of the dash under the ashtray. I would probably run the lower three somewhere higher if I was to do it over again and they are tough to see while driving. I'll try to take some pictures soon.

EdoHart

Observer
Wow!

I finally reached the last post (to date). That is one incredible camper.

I looked at the www.propane-generators.com website, and I have a question regarding your generator (yeah after all that reading, that's what I want to know about). Can it still run on gasoline? Not that I want to carry gasoline too, I'm just wondering.

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks Ed and glad you like it as much as my wife and I do. The generator will run on either gas or propane and I ran the first tank through with gasoline per the company's instructions as part of the break in process. It's run strictly on propane since then as it's just too handy when we have a 16 gallon tank.

Carlyle

Explorer
As promised here are some dash and gauge pictures for Psychohawk.

4 pillar gauges; oil temp, fuel pres, EGTand boost pres.
DSC02107.jpg

Under dash gauges; tranny temp, oil temp and voltmeter.
DSC02109.jpg

My newest add on was a wireless back up camera before I run someone or something over when backing up. It's pretty cool for backing into tight spots, in addition, when driving down the road you can see the Geo Metro that is tailgating in the snow as well...

DSC02112.jpg

And the screen mounted where the rear view mirror used to be.
DSC02111.jpg

skysix

Adventurer
solar vents

Was looking at their website from your link posted earlier - seems very tall. What is the profile above the roof? Specs say 6" overall but not how much of that projects downward...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven