Alaskan Camper Build Up

18seeds

Explorer
Matt,

you have to stop jumping to the defense all the time. All the crap on RV.net and now here is just plain annoying. I understand you guys sometimes get a bad wrap, but why is that? Could it be the way you handle issues that show up on the internet?

I posted (on rv.net) a while back a review of my trip to your factory as well as others in Colorado. You guys have a great product and bar none the best fit and finish pop-up TC on the market.

Take it easy

Carlyle

Explorer
Some interesting posts recently...

Well moving on, here is the latest addition to the camper after passing my Technician Amateur Radio Exam yesterday:

DSC01763.jpg

Yaesu 7800 radio with custom install with radio itself tucked behind the stereo to the right using the remote install kit. Thanks Jarrett! 7wt.

DSC01765.jpg

I fab'd at bracket for the antenna and can now install a larger antenna later that folds down when I decide to do so. I just need to work out how to ground it now.

Carlyle

Explorer
We've been busy camping as much as possible this summer so some of the projects for the camper went on the back burner, fly fishing does have priority after all.

New 58" comet dual band antenna to replace the stubby. It folds down nicely and is currently secured with a bungee when down, I'll probably use a mini quick fist later.
DSC01821.jpg

For extended periods of no sunshine, god forbid, we now have a 1000 watt Yamaha propane generator plumbed into the main tank with a quick disconnect. The first tank of fuel through was gasoline and it lasted a whopping 13.7 hours on 3/4 of a US gallon with a 3.5 amp load. Weighing in at 25 lbs this is one cool little gen set.
DSC01817.jpg

DSC01820.jpg

toyfunraider

Observer
Nice little unit. How about an update on the new tires. Scott has included some ER pics in mud, sand and rocks. They look to be getting the job done.

Willman

This is one sweet rig!

Just spent an hour reading over your thread!...Can't believe i missed this one! Killer thread!

The TV is way over the top! I like it!

Carry on and keep it coming!!!

:)

Carlyle

Explorer
In answer to your question about the wheels and tires, they are a great upgrade. The truck and camper feel more stable on the road and there is less sway overall. The tires, being a little more narrow, perform very well in the rain with no tendency to hydroplane. They can be a little rough when going over wash board roads and that is mainly because they are running at about 100 psi most of the time. If I aired them down to about 65 psi, they would probably be a little more forgiving in those situations, but I need a way to air them up other then the little 5 lb CO2 bottle I have.
DSC01826.jpg

Thanks for reading the build up Willman and I'm glad you like it. I'll continue to post as I make add ons and changes. I just installed Hella map lights in the camper overhead to augment the LED's when you really need bright light.
DSC01823.jpg

I just ordered a Engel 45 and cover today from John at Expedition Exchange. I'll just be putting it back of the cab for now, but I plan to rip out the rear seat and build a platform this winter. Any ideas on this would be great.

Carlyle

Explorer
It's been a hot summer in Colorado and the little ac unit we have in the camper is not quite doing the job when the heat is over 90 and there is no moisture in the air to remove. Since I work nights, I have to have a cooling source that is effective during day time heat and when the temps started soaring over 100 this summer I started researching some alternatives to the little ac unit.

I went with a Mighty Kool MW-1 12 volt evaporative cooler (http://air-conditioner.com/wb.html), and have not had cooing issues since. A little pricey at $300, but I needed something that was going to work. It's a little noisy on high, but is kind of like white noise when you are trying to sleep. It draws between 1 to 2.5 amps and thus runs off the camper batteries with minimal draw.The best thing is that it actually works and really pumps out the cool air in our dry climate here. As you can see, I have the water bag suspended with a portable IV pole. Yes, I do have that kind of first aid kit... It could also be suspended in a number of other ways.

The ac unit is not a bust, it works well when there is moisture in the air and the temps are not climbing quite so high. We run it when it's hot out while we're driving down the road and it keeps the temps down in the camper so that when you stop and set up you're not battling a hot camper right from the start. In addition, when we make short stops it helps keep the truck cab a little cooler for the us and the dog.
DSC01850.jpg

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Carlyle,

That's a slick little unit!

I grew up whole-house swamp coolers in arid country (Cortez), and they worked great.

However, when I lived in Co Springs I had a couple of different friends try a couple of different 'portable' swamp coolers, without much success. Probably because they were cheapies...

IIRC theirs required that a window or door be opened a little to supply outside air, and the machines were finicky about how much and how far away.

Can you run this little beauty with the camper all closed up? Seems like you would get some condensation if you ran it long enough without a source of dry air…

Thanks for all the info you have supplied.

Carlyle

Explorer
Lynn,

I run the unit close to one of the windows cracked open and have the rest of the camper closed up. In addition, I run a 12 volt endless breeze fan to help move the cool air around and the camper is stying at tolerable temps even when the outside is above 100 degrees.

I have run the unit for over 12 hours and have less condensation build up than when it is closed up and two people and a dog sleeping with the furnace on intermittently. In addition the overhead solar fans seem to help as well.

18seeds

Explorer
I use a swamp cooler in my house and during this record breaking summer my house stayed just above 70 degrees. The trick i found that works best is to keep it on as much as possible. if you wait till the house is really hot it takes forever to cool it down.

Great idea to use it in a camper. Maybe their is a way to mount it outside so it draws in fresh air. I found that worked much better in my house. Just make sure the unit isn't in direct sunlight.

Carlyle

Explorer
We also use a evaporative cooler in our house with great results. Good point about running sooner than later so that you are not trying to catch up when it's already hot in the camper.

Here is the latest edition to our family that we ordered Expedition Exchange. Straight out of the box and mounted in the rear cab of our truck for our trip to Yellowstone and the Tetons starting this Monday. We are using it as a freezer to supplement the meager freezer on our great big Nova Kool.
DSC01851.jpg

DSC01852.jpg

Here is the inside temp after a hot day in the cab of the truck. The small number is the inside camper temp:
DSC01853.jpg

The numbers reflect the current draw of all ac draw, which in this case is the Nova Kool and the Engel. Maximum when cooling down was a 6.1 amp draw from both with both compressors cycled on:
DSC01857.jpg

After we get back I'll rip out the rear bench and build a platform with drawers and a slide for the Engel. That will have to wait until the winter as there are too many fish to catch out there right now.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
What type of shocks do you run? What brand of air bags do you like. I have to much sway on my Dodge 3500 with the stock suspension. With one hand on the side on the Lance I can rock the truck 5 inches side to side. You can feel it in a turn also. Will airbags and new shocks help this.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
So I sit down a 9pm thinking I'll do a little reading and now its 11:46p....what a great build! Gave me lots of things to think about as I continue to modify my 4xVan. Do you keep your wife in the loop as to the value of the project receipts, or is it better kept as "your little secret"? I know my receipts are hidden far from view!

Kudos.

Spence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven