Alaskan Camper Build Up

Advanture

Howdy Carlyle. I've been greatly enjoying reading your thread over the last several days. It was very informative and gives me lots of food for thought for any future vehicle/camper builds. I was rather dismayed at the unfortunate surprise ending to your original camper. I guess the silver lining is the chance for a do over--albeit at the cost of a big financial hit, the inconvenience of it not being on your timetable, the loss of personal items and seeing the fruits of your labor go up in smoke. I was wondering about a few things...

Did the insurance investigators ever get back to you with the definitive cause of the fire?

If I had to start from scratch I would probably go with an F550 with a 4" lift and a stretch. I would then have Alaskan build a 14' non cab over. The bed in the camper would remain in the same spot and there would be a ton of storage underneath that area. With that size, I would probably attach the camper to the frame with a three point pivot. Everything else would stay the same.

Why the difference between the 14' camper and the 13' foot? Was it a better size to fit on the new Ram Crew Cab XL chassis (I'm assuming you went with the 197.4" WB), to increase departure angles and or Alaskan Campers already had a standard 13' camper?

What were the factors that led you to choose the RAM 5500 over the Ford 550? Was the Cummins diesel engine the main factor? Any idea if that engine is compatible with 3rd world/ low to high sulfur diesel fuel? Did you order the truck with single rear wheels? What color is the cab? What was your trim level SLT or Laramie? Which options did you select? The ambulance prep package with the larger 220 amp alternator and the high idle control looks tasty. Lots of questions--lol. I'm excited to see how your new improved build develops. Although instead of 3 days it will take many months to unfold for me this time. In regards to an improved/beefier non-roof mounted A/C system have you looked at the ones that Sportsmobile uses? Sportsmobile calls it a Danhard Internal Mount A/C http://www.danhard.com/ . They say it will run off of a 2000w generator. It doesn't seem to take up too much space.

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi and thanks for the reply Advanture,

I talked to the elusive insurance company several weeks and all they could inform me from their multiple investigations is that the catalytic that was not the cause of the fire. We have gone to a 14" 3" camper so that we could keep almost the same layout we had on the previous interior that we really liked. Flat bed was just moved to the welder today and extra parts shipped from Ute to allow us to make the 12' flat bed 2' longer. Per Randy at Ute, we are extending the front of the flat bed to allow for better support of the rear. Thanks you Bryan at Alaskan once again for being so accommodating. We have a local welder who has done a fantastic job on welds for my home brew system so we are putting him on to this project as well.

We chose the Dodge over the Ford for several reasons; Our previous truck ran well after the egt delete kit was installed that was the ominous 6.0 and we had as many problems as the average owner... The Dodge is a more reliable engine, now has the Aisin tranny, standard engine brake, better interior etc. Oh, and the dealership did not try to softly slide it in like a Ford dealership we were dealing with...

I looked closely at the Danhard ac's this morning and was tempted to call them up, I mean really tempted. Then I remembered how badly the last ac worked in the end and truly the low profile overhead unit we are going with will only protrude slightly more than the solar panels will. Sometimes it is just better to stick with the tried and true and that's where I'm at right now on ac units. Additionally, the roof on the Alaskan would make it difficult to mount almost any side mounted unit including the two piece trucker's units.

We pick up the truck from the dealership tomorrow morning and I'll post pictures of it then. It is a 197' wheel base 5500 with the Laramie interior. Ambulance and cold weather prep, full DVD and Nav package. We bought a back up camera and had the stereo "flashed" by the dealer so that it will work with it despite being a chassis cab. I'll send the camera to Alaskan, along with a few other items later in the week for install.

Thanks,

Carl

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
IMG_0562.jpg

New truck has arrived home!

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

2" Leveling kit being installed yesterday

IMG_0568.jpg

34" to the top of the door sill so far, guess I'm going to need some running boards of some sort.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
WOW ! That is so purty and so clean ! :sombrero:

Can't wait to see all the other nice bits coming together :coffeedrink:

Will the Ricksons and MPT81s be on, soon ?

Wonderful stuff !

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Man, this is going to be so nice.
Really glad you went with a NCO set-up !
That's a great color for the Dodge, too :D

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Awesome to see the new truck, and the rebuild in progress..

Question though, Ive always been a Ford guy. For a few reasons.

One of them being interior, mainly SEAT comfort.

How are the seats in that new Dodge? The last few Ive sat in have been horribly uncomfortable. And seem to be built for guys larger than king-kong.

Carlyle

Explorer
Awesome to see the new truck, and the rebuild in progress..

Question though, Ive always been a Ford guy. For a few reasons.

One of them being interior, mainly SEAT comfort.

How are the seats in that new Dodge? The last few Ive sat in have been horribly uncomfortable. And seem to be built for guys larger than king-kong.

Hmm, seat pretty comfy to me...

Driving-chimp-red-car-431x300.jpg

They actually do feel pretty comfortable, I'm 5'11"/180#

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven