Alaskan Camper Build Up

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
That truck looks MEAN!
Great combo, Gonna be some spray on the doors from those.
Extended flares available?
What do they weigh?

Very nice!

ExpoMike

Man, totally awesome build on the last one with a total surprised ending. Definitely did not see that coming. Sorry about the lost.

New rig is looking great and agreed, great color. Should be an awesome rig based on the last one. New wheels/tires look great.

One question, what wireless back up camera system did you use on the first one?

Keep the pics coming.

Carlyle

Explorer
Hey David , Mark and Mike, good hearing you and thanks for the agreement in the color choice. The wheels are reversible front to back by flipping them around. No spacers to break. Tires do rub on tight turns, but the new bumper should fix that. Camper will be well insulated bottom, top and sides with double pane windows. Last back up camera was a hard wired Kenwood unit, worked great after I decided to drop the wireless one in a garbage can and wire it in. The current truck has an oem back up camera. I purchased it from the dealer and paid them to flash the radio so it would work. Camera is in a back latch, I'll dismantle it next week and send it to Alaskan be be mounted above the back door.

Rear view of new wheels and tires:
IMG_0581-1.jpg

My dog christening the tires:
IMG_0582-1.jpg

You're right Mark, I may need bigger fender flares:
IMG_0583.jpg

Last edited:
This thing is ************! I wouldnt change a thing I love it.

Sorry to hear about your previous rig, just glad no one was sleeping in it at the time.

Keep up the good work!!

ben2go

Adventurer
Those brakes hanging out in the open like that seem like they would be prone to damage from road debris and spray.Anyone have experience with this.

IMG_0581-1.jpg

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Wow... REALLY like the way it looks with the new tires. I can't wait to see it finished up. Very nice job of putting it together.

Don

-

ExpoMike

Wonder if you could take a couple of old dually wheels, cut the rim hoop off but leave enough to cover the brake assembly? Another idea would be a axle mounted "cover" over the front half of the rotor area.

I am sure there are a few ways that could be done to protect things. I would want something so mud, water and dirt doesn't get kicked up from the front and pack into the caliper/rotor causing damage.

ben2go

Adventurer
Wonder if you could take a couple of old dually wheels, cut the rim hoop off but leave enough to cover the brake assembly? Another idea would be a axle mounted "cover" over the front half of the rotor area.

I am sure there are a few ways that could be done to protect things. I would want something so mud, water and dirt doesn't get kicked up from the front and pack into the caliper/rotor causing damage.

That is an idea.Some cheap wheels with edge damage could be cut down for covers.Just need enough to direct road gunk and debris away.

lstzephyr

wanderer
I don't think it would be very likely to damage those brakes. A lot of vehicles have semi exposed brake systems and don't have issues. FWIW the only broken rotors I have seen on trucks have been from the suspension collapsing, not something getting kicked up.

ben2go

Adventurer
I don't think it would be very likely to damage those brakes. A lot of vehicles have semi exposed brake systems and don't have issues. FWIW the only broken rotors I have seen on trucks have been from the suspension collapsing, not something getting kicked up.

Yes of course.The road grit and spray would cause excessive wear getting in between the pads and rotors.A good bang on a rock offroad will bust a rotor or caliper like glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner