Alaskan Camper Build Up

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi David,

We can thank Bryan, the owner of Alaskan for all the pictures. I like to see other people's write ups, so it's only fair that I share as well.

Carlyle

Explorer
Thetford closet to be:

photo-5.jpg

stxSteve

Aluminess bumper question - When you pivot the tire carrier does the tire reach the ground to facilitate unloading/loading these large tires? Thanks

IMG_12201.jpg

stxSteve

Aluminess bumper question: The other pictures I've seen do show the carrier rotating up (counterclockwise facing the truck) - what you're saying is it CAN'T continue that motion to place the tire closer to the ground? The only function of the rotation is to provide better access to the winch?

Carlyle

Explorer
Aluminess bumper question: The other pictures I've seen do show the carrier rotating up (counterclockwise facing the truck) - what you're saying is it CAN'T continue that motion to place the tire closer to the ground? The only function of the rotation is to provide better access to the winch?

Guess I'll have to wait until it gets here to tell you.

Advanture

How long now before the flat bed gets installed? Do the Joboxes go on first or does the camper shell go on first? Or it depends?

Carlyle

Explorer
Truck went to the welder/Fab guy yesterday and he is currently lengthening the current flat bed to 14' and then installing it. In addition he is making rear fenders and coming up with a possible brake cover solution. He will also install the Super Hitch and Extension I have from the previous truck. After he is done with that the bumper will then be installed with winch and lights.

After the Fab guy is done the Jobox's, propane tank, compressors and tanks are then mounted under the flat bed attached to the frame of the truck itself.

Interestingly the Fab guy is using valve springs for the spring mount on the flat bed.

Good news, title arrived in the mail today!

Ponyracer

Adventurer
Cool can you be sure to get some good pics of the valve spring arrangement? I may have to steal that for my upcoming flatbed build!

Last edited:
Love the new truck. If you don't mind a suggestion........, I'd suggest replacing the Revtec spacer with an upgraded coil to provide the lift you need up front. It will help to better manage the increase in the center of gravity as will also provide improved on/off highway performance. There are a number of great options on the market today. Just my 2 cents.

Carlyle

Explorer
Love the new truck. If you don't mind a suggestion........, I'd suggest replacing the Revtec spacer with an upgraded coil to provide the lift you need up front. It will help to better manage the increase in the center of gravity as will also provide improved on/off highway performance. There are a number of great options on the market today. Just my 2 cents.

Perhaps you have better sources of coils and such than I do, but after market parts for the 5500 seem to be very limited with the Revtek being the only alternative I could find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven