Alaskan Camper Build Up

There are 3 that come to mind. KORE, Carli, and Thuren. They publish info on coils for 3500's, but you might find that they have coils that work on the 5500 as well. If you've already talked to them, then I apologize. Historically, the coil bucket on the dodge has been the same size throughout the range and there were larger (taller), stiffer coils for heavier duty applications. I admit I'm not as well versed on the newer, 5500 series however..

Carlyle

Explorer
There are 3 that come to mind. KORE, Carli, and Thuren. They publish info on coils for 3500's, but you might find that they have coils that work on the 5500 as well. If you've already talked to them, then I apologize. Historically, the coil bucket on the dodge has been the same size throughout the range and there were larger (taller), stiffer coils for heavier duty applications. I admit I'm not as well versed on the newer, 5500 series however..

I've been to all three sites and no one seems to make a spring kit for the 5500. The coils are heavier on the the 5500 as well as other changes in the suspension and the body itself that makes it difficult to find some parts. I'll stick with Revtek kit and add Bilstein shocks if the ride seems to be compromised in any way. Thanks for the thought on the mater though.

xtreme244tug

I am quite interested in this build as we intend to use the same truck for our camper , although destined more for "on pavement" activities. I believe the ambulance package includes AC lines with taps on them for the truck ac to run to the back box. Not sure if the camper is intended to come off the flat deck, but you could have a quite light AC system for whenever the truck is running..at least keep it very comfortable for when you do stop.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Have you tried contacting the types that build brush trucks? Maybe they would have a workable front spring that would fit your dodge.

As an aside to your earlier concerns about uncovered brakes I found a picture of a similar setup on a brush truck. It seems they leave the brakes open but whether that is an economical decision is up to you. Still I thought you might like to see.

brush-truck-45.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
I don't see covering the breaks all that important. With running rocks most of my life I have never had a problem and ran weld on rear disks on a 14 bolt gm never even scraped them.

Carlyle

Explorer
Truck at the shop to have the flat bed installed:
IMG_0590.jpg

Flat bed and head ache rack:
IMG_0592.jpg

Tuck frame has been lengthened with C channel beams and flat bed will sit on this frame:
IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

ExpoMike

Cool to see progress but holy overhang Batman! Really didn't think there would be that much behind the tires.

Can't wait to see the flatbed on and the camper on it.

Carlyle

Explorer
Cool to see progress but holy overhang Batman! Really didn't think there would be that much behind the tires.

Can't wait to see the flatbed on and the camper on it.

I think the camera angle exaggerates the lack of departure angle a bit in these photos, though it will have significant overhang.

I can't wait for it all to be mounted either...

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Will the flat bed be getting cut-outs so your tires dont rub on it? looks like there will only be 6" between the bed and tire on flat ground. It already looks bad ace, cant wait to see it done!!

Josh

Advanture

What are the two small black plastic louvered looking things on the back of the cab sorta inline with the frame rails? I'm assuming they are for some kind of vent. If so, what are they venting?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Vents on the back of the cab, The new trucks are so buttoned up that when you close the doors it created
an air block. The vents keep your head exploding when all four doors are closed at the same time.
Like a pop off valve.

Carlyle

Explorer
What are the two small black plastic louvered looking things on the back of the cab sorta inline with the frame rails? I'm assuming they are for some kind of vent. If so, what are they venting?

Also to keep a window from blowing out if you roll up when it's hot out.

Carlyle

Explorer
Will the flat bed be getting cut-outs so your tires dont rub on it? looks like there will only be 6" between the bed and tire on flat ground. It already looks bad ace, cant wait to see it done!!

Josh

Exactly 6", and rear fenders are being made. I doubt the tires will rub very often with the suspension being as stiff as it is. Only one way to find out though.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Another great build by Carlyle! Sorry to hear of your loss of the old truck and camper. Somehow this thread slipped past me. You definitely chose the right chassis to use as a foundation for the new rig. The Ram 4500 and 5500’s are doing extremely well out in the commercial world and giving the Fords a good run for their money in the class 5 market.

The build looks great! An observation on those Rickson wheels, from the pictures they seem to have an aggressive offset compared to other SRW wheels on the market. The offset would concern me as the front unipack bearings are pretty finicky already as well as the ball joints used in those front AAM axles. Add aggressive offset and you may have a front bearing and ball joint eater on your hands as well as road speed steering issues. Time will tell on that. I too would highly recommend figuring out something to protect those rear rotors. Just because ER runs them open, I wouldn’t. A balanced inboard wheel without a tire mounted on it would fit the bill nicely as others stated.

One comment on the floor mats. I don’t believe there is any difference in the cab floor of the 4500/5500 trucks vs. the 2500/3500 siblings. The rear floor may be different on the chassis cabs to accommodate the urea tank. Any lighter Ram floor mat should fit the front fine even if they are not listed in catalogs.

Looking forward to watching your new project evolve. Being we’re right down the road from each other hopefully, I’ll see you around once it’s done.

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Larry,

Only time will tell on the front ball joints and bearing, luckily I don't drive fast on the back roads and that should help a lot. I'll probe the salvage yards when I have time to find a set of inner dually wheels to cover the brakes up.

On the floor mats, I ended up with a set of Mopar slush mats that should do the job, interestingly enough they do fit a 3500...

Truck is still at the fab guy, hopefully he has the flat bed done soon. I'll run by on the way to work today.

More shots of the camper build shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven