IMG_0615.jpg

Fuel filler mount:
IMG_0616.jpg

Lining the bumper up for install:
IMG_0617.jpg

(some assembly required...)

98dango

Expedition Leader
Looking good but holy departure angle. I know its not for wheeling and I like the over all concept but that is a ton of over hang

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Came out looking really nice! Looks like the spear tire will be mounted up front bumper? Also what did you do your tow hooks, you looking to get rid of them?

Carlyle

Explorer
Spare tire will be going on the front, hopefully it doesn't block the view much. Tow hooks are off and not being used, still virgins.

adi

Adventurer
Additional thought to covering up rear brakes: Flange mounted options would need to be balanced correct? And if they get bumped/bent while offroad, might have to remove them before driving highway speeds.

Something mounted on the axle tube might be a simpler option, although the pictures of other vehicles show that it might not be an issue.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I can't help but wonder how the bearings stand up with the center of weight so far outboard of the bearings. Doesn't this make premature failure a problem?

Carlyle

Explorer
I can't help but wonder how the bearings stand up with the center of weight so far outboard of the bearings. Doesn't this make premature failure a problem?

Only time will tell, luckily I don't drive like a teenager hopped up on Rockstar. I thought of that when I went this route, and it's a possible compromise I will have to deal with.

Carl

Last edited:

Ponyracer

Adventurer
I wonder what the weight load will be with the camper? Figure the truck is designed to take XXXXX max load with the tires in the stock placement, ok, move them out and make life harder on the bearings but if your not pulling the max load with the truck then I bet you will have nothing to worry about.

Francis

Deka Batteries and Dynatrac Hubs

Carlyle

I was looking at refer. tests somewhere in the Exp. Portal and they were useing Deka batteries. I could not find the test again no matter where I looked. Even tried the search section with no luck, but a lot of threads popped up.

While reading this thread about your front wheels being moved outward and possible increasing wear on the bearings I found an article in the Trailer Life magazine, issue Feb. 2012 written by Gary Wescott on SEMA show products on page 49. Dynatrac Products Inc. has introduced a product for Ram trucks to change the front hub assembly to a fixed spindle and servicable bearings. They dont indicate size of vehicle. There email address is www.dynatrac.com. Not cheap around 2K. Maybe this will be a benefit to you in the future.

Francis

Carlyle

Explorer
Carlyle

I was looking at refer. tests somewhere in the Exp. Portal and they were useing Deka batteries. I could not find the test again no matter where I looked. Even tried the search section with no luck, but a lot of threads popped up.

While reading this thread about your front wheels being moved outward and possible increasing wear on the bearings I found an article in the Trailer Life magazine, issue Feb. 2012 written by Gary Wescott on SEMA show products on page 49. Dynatrac Products Inc. has introduced a product for Ram trucks to change the front hub assembly to a fixed spindle and servicable bearings. They dont indicate size of vehicle. There email address is www.dynatrac.com. Not cheap around 2K. Maybe this will be a benefit to you in the future.

Francis

Looks like a good option when my oem ball joints wear out. Not really much more than oem either.

Last edited:

Byrdseye

Observer
"front unipack bearings are pretty finicky already as well as the ball joints used in those front AAM axles. "

The front axle on the Dodge 4500 and 5500 is a monster sized Magna Steyr 275mm High Pinion. It has 4" x 1/2" tubes and huge outer C's. (I think that at least a 1550 u-joint will fit in there) Unfortunately, there is no locker available (yet) and it does use unit bearing hubs. The owner of Spyntec tells me that he will consider making a hub kit if there is enough interest...... I think that his kits are way nicer than the Dynatrac (I've had both on 1 tons).
As far as the rear bearings, I don't think you'll have a problem on that Dana 111L (a heavy tubed 110) with it's 13,500 lb rating. At least I hope not, since I'm going to do the same thing to mine :) Anyway, hope this helps and nice work on your build. I'm looking forward to your impressions on the MPT81's as I'm on the fence trying to decide between the 335's or 275's. Thanks again for sharing your build.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Very nice! I like the bead board on the ceiling.
What color is the side stripe? I would color match it to the truck. "Suggestion"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner