All-Pro Offroad's Billy the 4Runner! Help us build it!

JasonRedwood

Explorer
I think the Flip-pac mod would be awesome, I attempted something similar. Part of the cool factor is the convertible aspect of the 1st gen 4runner, it would be nice to retain that. I think All-pro should manufacture something similar to the old Can-Back soft top. You could mount a roof top tent up top while having the ability to roll up the sides.:)

JonB

Observer
Sorry we haven't done any updates lately we have been busy getting things ready for the Overland Expo. I have decided to do a 3.4 engine swap out of a 99' 4runner I have here. The extra power and speed will be nice and make it more enjoyable to drive on longer trips or when it's loaded down. I do not want to cut up the body or turn this into a rockcrawer, just a nice camping and exploration vechicle that can get back into some places that are a little too extreme for some of the later model trucks.

Toy-Cra-Ze

I have a toypta xtra cab and would like to run 255/85s on it and thats what I thinnk you guys should try. I think it would be awesome if you guys built a blazeland/total choas kit but better and not as wider like something that's only 2" wider than stock like your guys 2nd gen Tacoma kits. I want a blazeland kit because I want a small lift that rides good and has good travel but I don't like the extra width. I like the ome Stuff and I know its quality just won't offer much travel and not that great of a ride.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
YAY!!!! Another 1st Gen!!! I was absolutely in LOVE with John B's original "old Red" 1st Gen of early Ultimate Adventure and much more fame...

Looks like a sweet old rig you found too.

My vote for the build is Toy. Diesel... always Diesel. That and a custom "Camper shell" replacement for the hard-top like I always wanted to do with my 1st gen but never got around to doing... Something like the Flip-pac or the JK "Habitat" type deal or even better a lift-up top to keep it more "4-season" capable. That removable top is just BEGGING for something like that.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
Sorry we haven't done any updates lately we have been busy getting things ready for the Overland Expo. I have decided to do a 3.4 engine swap out of a 99' 4runner I have here. .

OK, we can live with that. More photos will be appreciated.

CorkOrangutan

Hey that looks almost identical to mine when I first bought it, except mine is red/black! I agree with the rest of us here and say keep it stock looking and keep your efforts to the internals.
Using a Porsche as an analogy make the Singer 911 of 1st Gen 4Runners,
18n51b8p9e7pljpg.jpg

singer-vehicle-designs-reimagined-porsche-911-interior-photo-559441-s-1280x782.jpg

Not a Rauh Welt
7295210916_66142b821a_z.jpg

Make it all about the classic looks, with modern, modest performance and insane attention to the small details.
That is all.

zidaro

Explorer
I do not want to cut up the body or turn this into a rockcrawer, just a nice camping and exploration vechicle that can get back into some places that are a little too extreme for some of the later model trucks.

We shall see how long that lasts! Purdy sure i said the same thing when i found mine :)

Diesel 4runner

A 2lt from an 85 Toyota pickup, dual cases, lockers, mild lift to get at least 33's under it, modify the factory hard top to be either a flippac or wildernest type setup to keep the weight down and look factory. The list could go on but it's a start. Best part is allpro is only 15-20 min away. **correction** no longer 15-20 min away, now in Montana :( wanted to stop by today and discovered the bad news.

Last edited:

austintaco

Explorer
Having owned 3 first gen 4runners, and one of them twice, I am a big fan. My wife has strict instructions not to sell my gold 4runner if I pass away, but it can go back to the guy I bought it back from or stay in the family. Anyway, a clean example like this needs to stay clean. Stock modified look all the way. It should make the unfamiliar eye not even think it has a lift. I like the period correct SR5 stripes, and I might even vote to do an SR5 conversion, but if not, then keep it as simple as possible.
The bumpers should look like they belong on the truck and not scream "Look at me!". Old school Smittybilt style, ala Marty McFly, might look better than a modern design.
Whatever you decide, don't cut this one up. If you want to cut up a truck, get one that needs bodywork already. That's my opinion. Carry on.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Although if you are fully committed to turning it into an overland build, which of course is almost equally sweet in my book, I would (if I had plenty of funding :D ) swap the engine/trans out for a 4bt cummins for good torque and increased fuel economy paired with a manual transmission, 4.10/4.88 gears with 33/35" tires, sliders, bumpers, larger/duel fuel tank(s), perhaps with a biodiesel conversion kit for increased versatility?
I LOVE Cummins Diesels, I really do, but a 4BT in a Mini-Truck would simply RUIN the truck end of story...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad