All Purpose YJ Build...

nano151

Observer
That is a sexy looking rig! Just registered so i can't actually see anything until i get approved. I'll check it out once i get in.

Haven't been able to do too much on the Jeep. Been busy with house repairs, family missions, and spent last weekend (and a lot of money) taking the kids to Disney for their 3rd B-day.

I'll get better pics this Sunday but since my last update...

Got the radiator all welded up & installed the hoses. I've ran it for a while since then and it's cooling real good just sitting in the driveway with no fan. I mounted an electric fan but i should have my larger fan back this weekend to swap out. Then i'll just have to wire it up and throw on a thermostat. COOLING SYSTEM IS ALMOST DONE!

8e545145.jpg
a4602dc9.jpg

I installed the HD tranny cooler that i had on the K10. Just have to top off the tranny and tcase. (no pics right now) I also need to drop the tcase cuz i never sealed it up when i clocked it up. TRANSMISSION IS ALMOST DONE!

I had cut my stainless steel brake line that runs to the back only to find that my flaring tool won't work on it. Until i can afford a SS Flaring Tool, i decided to replace it with some basic tubing from Autozone that i bent up and flared. Now all i need to tighten all of the lines and hoses, bleed the entire system and do some brake maintainance. THE BRAKES ARE ALMOST DONE!

Because I've been running the engine for longer periods, I figured it was time to buy some gauges. Picked up a set of VDO gauges and so far i've only installed the Volt guage. In all, i have the Volt, Water Temp, Oil Pressure and Fuel Level. Its an automatic so i'm not worried about a tach and i don't plan on driving it very fast so i don't need a speedometer right now. Once i get these installed, i'll probably just add a transmission temp guage.

7d2075fc.jpg

Other than what i've already mentioned, I need to get new steering lines, to finish a lot of electical work and some cosmetic stuff. I also might dump the CJ dash and build something new.

nano151

Observer
Now the most important update... she moves!!!

Still have no power steering but i was able to move her back and forth under her own power. Still have to rebleed the brakes cuz i can barely stop it.

d5824431.jpg

9d12c7aa.jpg

mbryson

Observer
Just a couple of thoughts re: your build. I have a similar built "YJ" with small block and whatnot. I'm running a swap radiator for a YJ from Mepco (Now Teraflex) but there are a number of sources out there for a vertical radiator as the small block is a very common swap. I've had great luck with a $30 Taurus fan from the junkyard. Very common swap and has two stages in case I'm running the rig in the desert heat here.

RE: your brakes. I'm not sure if you'll need a different master cylinder or not with your D44/12 bolt but if you're swapping for one ton axles you'll need a different unit. There are a number of options there. I'm running an '88 E350 master cylinder and a YJ booster.

I was hoping you'd have it all buttoned up and a camping trips under your belt with it. :D I've used my Jeep more as a trailer queen, but have been morphing it more into a semi-drivable rig over the past couple of years. Space is at a premium in a Wrangler or CJ sized rig. I was curious to see what you'd come up with for creative solutions.

nano151

Observer
Just a couple of thoughts re: your build. I have a similar built "YJ" with small block and whatnot. I'm running a swap radiator for a YJ from Mepco (Now Teraflex) but there are a number of sources out there for a vertical radiator as the small block is a very common swap. I've had great luck with a $30 Taurus fan from the junkyard. Very common swap and has two stages in case I'm running the rig in the desert heat here.

RE: your brakes. I'm not sure if you'll need a different master cylinder or not with your D44/12 bolt but if you're swapping for one ton axles you'll need a different unit. There are a number of options there. I'm running an '88 E350 master cylinder and a YJ booster.

I was hoping you'd have it all buttoned up and a camping trips under your belt with it. :D I've used my Jeep more as a trailer queen, but have been morphing it more into a semi-drivable rig over the past couple of years. Space is at a premium in a Wrangler or CJ sized rig. I was curious to see what you'd come up with for creative solutions.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to see how this radiator work first before dumping more into a new one. Should be fine though... i hope.

I had read about the Taurus swap but i had this one laying around from the Chevy. If it's not enough, i'll likely go that route.

Good to hear that there is a bolt-on upgrade for the master cylinder. I guess if i can't get this to stop any better, it'll be my next mod.

I'm dying to take this out already. Now, as if i wasn't busy enough, my mom picked up a used popup. As is usually the case, i was volunteered to help her fix it up. So i missed out on two good weekends of jeep work.

As far as storage, first thing i'll do is buy those bestop saddle bags and smittybilt seat packs. Eventually i plan to have a custom fuel cell built to fit back under the jeep but still clear the axle and shocks in full flex. I'd also build storage compartments over the rear fenders and behind the rear bench.

I'm also looking at how to make the most of the area behind the dash. No A/C leaves a lot of unused space back there and since i have to build a new dash, i might as well make room form more stuff. Plus, if i add one of those overhead radio and CB mounts, i'd free up even more room behind the dash. We'll see how that goes though.

southerntidefan

Any chance of getting dimensions on those adjustible rear leaf hangers?
Im doing the exact same build. I even think i have the same radiator

nano151

Observer
Wow! My last post about this Jeep was in November 2011 and I still haven't finished it! :eek: My kids were 6 months old when I started and they are going to be 11 in October!

Well, its finally getting done... I hope. I caved in and asked a friend to tie up all of the loose ends with the axle swap and transmission swap. I'll get some recent photos, but since my last post...
  • AXLES: Its now sitting on 1tons, D66 open in front, and a Detroit locked 14bolt in the rear. Hi-Steer arms are installed, we just have to finish up the DOM draglink and tierod (all 1ton TREs).
  • TRANS & TCASE: It originally had a 2wd TH350 with a spacer to an np208. It still works great, but its just too long and it has a slip yoke. This week I'll be dropping off a 4wd TH350 for a rebuild (much shorter the the 2wd) and I'll be replacing the tcase with a Dana 300 (MUCH shorter than the 208). This should fix all of my driveshaft angles and I'll have the option of twinsticking the tcase.
  • SUSPENSION: We just swapped out the worn out XJ springs in the rear for new ones.
  • IGNITION: added a full kit from Summit... "Ignition Combo, Digital Ignition Box with Rev Limiter, Blueprinted HEI Distributor". Also have new upgraded sparkplug wires to install when i get to it.
  • FUEL: I originally added a Holly Truck Avenger, but I had so much trouble with it that I swapped it out for an Edelbrock Thunder Offroad. So happy I did. Its starts better and runs so much better now.
  • BODY: I think all that's changed is that the driver side rock slider is installed.
  • RECOVERY: I rebuilt the winch myself, just haven't installed it yet.
I'm sure i forgot stuff, but I'll post a few pics soon and update as the build progresses.

nano151

Observer
She's been sitting for a while and neglected, but she's getting some love now. You can see the faded paint, surface rust on the windshield frame (which was brand new at one point), and one of the tires has bad dry-rot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad