All Purpose YJ Build...

nano151

Observer
Been checking out your builds and figured i'd post up my own progress as i go.

This Jeep build has changed so many times that i've lost count. First started off with a $800 non-running 78 CJ7 with a free fiberglass tub. That got stripped down to the frame and, after several weeks of work, i decided to scrap that rusted frame to use another CJ7 frame. More time and money wasted only to decide that the 2nd frame was going to be too much work. :mad: I eventually tracked down a sandblasted, rust-free YJ frame. :wings:

I then found out why the glass tub was free - it sucked. Nothing lined up and it was going to need tons of work. Fortunatly i had recovered my orignal invesment by selling everything i didn't want off of the CJ.

As a lover of round headlights (yeah that's right) i tried to run the CJ grill and hood on the YJ frame and new rust-free YJ tub. Unfortunatly, this is almost impossible unless you run a body lift or modify the frame. Reluctantly, i decided to stick with the YJ grill and hood. Soooo,... now i',m building a '92 YJ.

The entire drivetrain is actually off my old '78 K10. I had already had a shop rebuild the motor the year before with aluminum roller rockers, ARP rod bolts, an RV cam, intake and other odds-n-ends. I'm also reusing the mild-built th350 and np208. The front is a full-width Chevy D44 with 4.88s and an OX locker. The rear is a GM 12-bolt with matching 4.88s and a detroit locker. The crossover steering is built using an ORD arm and Balistic Fab DOM 1ton tierod/draglink kit.

For now i'll be running my 38.5x14.50r15 TSL/SX's. This aren't the most street-friendly tires so i'll eventually pickup a set of 37s for the road.

To fit the tires, i've stretched the rear ~7 nches and the front ~1-2 inches. I'm running rear XJ spring and front YJs with new Ruff Stuff spring mounts & shakles all around. I've also just added Genright comp-cut corners and White Rhino tube fenders.

To make this expo-worthy the plans are for a swing away (or down) tire carrier with fuel storage, a rear winch to compliment my front 12k winch. A full family style roll cage to work with my suspension seats and harnesseses. As much storage as i can fit while still keeping the rear seat for my twins. This also includes water storage tank and pump. I plan to adapt a filtration system that is used on water fountains to make sure it's drinkable.

More to come and many pics...

maddmaxjack67

Man I can't wait to see the pics, sounds like a lot of blood, sweat, tears, cursing, more blood and probably a lot more cursing!

Seems like an awesome rig someday hopefully I can have the, well I have the time, but the money and location to build something like this.

nano151

Observer
Yeah, it's a 6 month project that is now going on close to 3 years cuz we had twins in the process and that's taken up most of my free time. Now i get half a day each week (when i'm lucky). I'm also planning to take two days off this month to work on the jeep so i should be able to get a lot done this month.

I'll post pics of the jeep build tonight. In the mean time (cuz i'm a picture whore), here are pics of my last two builds. Both of which i regret getting rid of.

The 88 K5...sold to my brother which he later sold. The 78 K10 was parted out and those are the parts being used on the Jeep now...

100_2732.jpg
photo013.jpg

bldeagle10

Explorer
how did you have the cargo basket mounted to the fiberglass shell? i plan on picking up a k5 and swapping my 75 suburbans 454 and th400 into it and building the burban and blazer up for expo (suburban will get a doner 6.0l or duramax out of a wrecked yukon or 2500hd) i just havent seen a rack mounted onto the fiberglass...

nano151

Observer
There are two metal ribs that run down the width of the topper. I just made sure to run the front mounts over those strips. The back ones just go right through the fiberglass. It's much stronger than you might think. During one trip i had it loaded with a few large tents, several camping chairs and a full size stainless BBQ (with the legs removed). My brother also used to carry camping gear and a 33" spare up the with no issues.

You're not the first to ask so i actually have pics if the rack. I'll send you a PM.

nano151

Observer
Now enough with the past headache. Here is the YJ build...

Found a sandblasted and painted frame with zero rust. Yippee!

YJFrame7-26-0903.jpg

Just about every part used for the frame buildup was from Ruff Stuff... I highly recomend them for anyone planning a build.

IMG_1299.jpg

Test fitting to get the right angles...

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

Cleaned up frame brackets, old motor mounts, etc...

IMG_2373.jpg

Let the welding begin. Be nice guys. I had just learned to weld...

photo9.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

nano151

Observer
Welded up the rear bumper and new crossmember. It has shackle hangers for the rear stretch, clevis tabs and a hitch mount...

IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

The pin is insert from behind the bumper. (this was taken before welding it in on both sides)...

IMG_1672.jpg

The clevis tabs go through the bumper on one side but (cuz i don't own a torch or plasma) i decided to just drill out 1/2" holes on the back end and use plug welds with my 180amp...

IMG_1670.jpg

Also had to weldin a patch for the only rust on the frame...
jeepspics026.jpg

nano151

Observer
Ruff Stuff perches that still need to be welded in...

JeepBuild013.jpg

Dropped the frame and springs on the axles...

JeepBuild006.jpg

0_01.jpg

JeepBuild014.jpg

You can see the extra plates added to the side. The shackles have been replaced with boomerangs and the springs were moved further back.

jeepspics013.jpg

nano151

Observer
Some Advance Adapter motor mounts to fit the 350...

jeepspics1017.jpg

The homebrew crossmember that still needs gussets...

jeep8-1-2010001.jpg

jeep8-1-2010004.jpg

jeep8-1-2010025.jpg

jeep8-1-2010019.jpg

I still have to find some shorter mounts cuz these are too tall...
Isabelsbday026.jpg

nano151

Observer
Found a rust free tub (with title), grill, hood and some other random parts. If anyone is wondering, you can fit a jeep tub in the bed of a new 4door rented Chevy...

newyjtub014.jpg

newyjtub003.jpg

newyjtub011.jpg

newyjtub012.jpg

newyjtub010.jpg

newyjtub036.jpg

newyjtub038.jpg

nano151

Observer
New stainless brake tubes throughout with extended rubber lines that i had originally bought for the K10...

Isabelsbday007.jpg

Isabelsbday003.jpg

Getting the tub and rollbar in took some creativity...

photo2-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

newyjtub033.jpg

newyjtub034.jpg

nano151

Observer
Picked up some more used parts including a Painless Harness...

photo6.jpg

Started but still have to finish the wires. Thankfully all of the wires are pre-labled. Also test fitted the intake that i got with the used snorkel...

Isabelsbday031.jpg

Isabelsbday030.jpg

Isabelsbday027.jpg

Isabelsbday033.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad