Alu-Cab Gen 3.1 RTT with Shadow Awn Mounting Solution for 2022 JLU

dpsmedic

Adventurer
Hello All

I have a Gen 3.1 (196lbs) with Shadow Awn (52lbs) that I had mounted on my 2013 JKU which I had no issues with the roof load. I have now purchased a 2022 JLU which I wish to mount that combination on

Looking to see if someone has a new JLU that they have mounted a similar set up?. Any issues with the roof cracking from weight? Time to switch to a different RTT and Awning solution?

I am thinking of going with the Rhino Backbone, but max load weight rating on that is 264LBS which I am assuming is the dynamic rating. In an email with Rhino, they will not provide a static weight as they indicate that is up to the Manufacturer. I will be just below the 264LB rating at 248LBS until we get in it to sleep in camp.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hello All

I have a Gen 3.1 (196lbs) with Shadow Awn (52lbs) that I had mounted on my 2013 JKU which I had no issues with the roof load. I have now purchased a 2022 JLU which I wish to mount that combination on

Looking to see if someone has a new JLU that they have mounted a similar set up?. Any issues with the roof cracking from weight? Time to switch to a different RTT and Awning solution?

I am thinking of going with the Rhino Backbone, but max load weight rating on that is 264LBS which I am assuming is the dynamic rating. In an email with Rhino, they will not provide a static weight as they indicate that is up to the Manufacturer. I will be just below the 264LB rating at 248LBS until we get in it to sleep in camp.

There was a HUGE blow up about this in the industry late last year when it came out that roof rack load ratings are about 1/2 for offroad as for onroad.
Looking at the install guide, in MAX config it's rated to 174lbs for offroad use:

-Dan

dpsmedic

Adventurer
There was a HUGE blow up about this in the industry late last year when it came out that roof rack load ratings are about 1/2 for offroad as for onroad.
Looking at the install guide, in MAX config it's rated to 174lbs for offroad use:
-Dan
Holy smokes! Thanks @Dan Grec for that info. That is so different then their website! Where they state the 264 figure. Have you or in your travels seen /had any experience with the Maximus 3-JL. I had looked at that as well, would not use the Pioneer Platform, just the feet and some HD bars from Rhino? They quote “Dynamic Load: 300 pounds. Static Load: over 900 pounds distributed, tested & proven.” BTW- I enjoy your YouTube channel.

Last edited:

Gabby53e

that's strange, when we purchased our RhinoRack with Backbone for our JLU they had advertised 300lbs dynamic and 800lbs static. We have had our Gen3 up there on several trails without any issues. We did add a Hellwig heavy duty sway bar for a little more on road stability, but no issues holding the weight up on the Rhino Rack

Red_shift

that's strange, when we purchased our RhinoRack with Backbone for our JLU they had advertised 300lbs dynamic and 800lbs static. We have had our Gen3 up there on several trails without any issues. We did add a Hellwig heavy duty sway bar for a little more on road stability, but no issues holding the weight up on the Rhino Rack
Just got the Backbone system and Alucab 3.1 RTT. Did you attach the RTT to a roof rack or use the GP Factor mounting system and Alucab load bars?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online