Am I crazy? I am lusting after a 2013 2.7 Tacoma regular cab, but is it healthy?

dnorrell

Adventurer
Thanks for the additional input. I have done a cursory search on various forums regarding fitment of forward-facing toddler seats, and it looked acceptable from photos, but that isn't first-hand experience so I must take it for what it's worth. If I go the double cab route, I lose the ability of sleeping in the bed (with cap) due to our height. I also don't really like the look of the double cab, but that is a minor issue. I also have to step up to the V6 in that case, and I just really like the 2.7. Nonetheless, I will give it some thought based upon recommendations. You can sometimes find relatively inexpensive ones with just the convenience package.

Explorer
Its a tough one!

Is there any chance you are going to modify the vehicle? Large tires, winch bumper, roof top tent etc.. I ask because the awesome little 2.7 might get overtaxed if you start building the truck up. Just a consideration, my 2.7 01 has all that, and I still love it, but it is gutless now.

The child seats don't work well because the back wall is vertical. all Child seats are designed to not torture children so they have a more open spread than a 90 degree angle. The bottom of child seats aren't flat they tapper up under the knees. All this causes the seat to pitch even farther forward than 90 when you place it in the truck. Grab a child seat and set it on the floor next to wall for a better illustration.

I have a wife and a 5yr old, we own three tacomas (one of each config) and an Avalon. the Dbl cab truck is where its at ;) Its a sedan and a truck. I know I'm nit picking the access cab (sorry!) but drive a DBL cab for a while just to be sure.

dnorrell

Adventurer
Thanks for all the help, folks! After stewing on this for a good while, I made my decision and picked up a new silver regular cab last night. So far, I love it and I know I made the right decision for me, for the time being. Maybe I'll begin a build thread in a month or two to track the progress of turning it into my ideal exploration vehicle.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Biggest thing I've always hated about reg cabs is I'm over 6 foot and I can't recline the seat even a little. I sat upright and my head was always right at the back glass. I hated feeling the cold glass right behind my head. OK...so maybe that was a problem because I'm also folically challenged...but I still didn't like it.
This is not a problem on the current Taco, but I agree with this otherwise. I'm 6'0", 34" inseam and once I got an XtraCab I couldn't shake the feeling of a window behind me in regular cabs. But I could see myself going from my '91 XtraCab to a current regular cab, no problem.

STREGA

Explorer
Thanks for all the help, folks! After stewing on this for a good while, I made my decision and picked up a new silver regular cab last night. So far, I love it and I know I made the right decision for me, for the time being. Maybe I'll begin a build thread in a month or two to track the progress of turning it into my ideal exploration vehicle.

Congrats on the new Taco, did you go with a manual or auto?

dnorrell

Adventurer
I went with the auto. I had driven both, and I found the "performance" of both to be perfectly adequate. I opted for the auto in the regular for the buckets and that "ahhhhhh" feeling of not having to fiddle with a clutch while sitting in traffic (a twice-a-day exercise). I'll miss having a manual at times, but right now I'm in lazy bliss.

dnorrell

Adventurer
Here it is, bone stock and waiting for me to finish up at work. I really do love it!

Photo Jan 30, 5 15 25 PM.jpg

This is what I am coming from ('12 JKU)

Jeep08.JPG

The Tacoma just feels right, and I'm looking forward to setting it up for my needs.
Time for a build thread soon...

p nut

butter
I believe the 5-sp comes with a 4.10 gearing. What about the auto? Didn't the 1st Gens come with 4.56?

Nice pick up (pun). I love the new front redesign.

dnorrell

Adventurer
At least for this year, both auto and manual come with the 4.1 ratio.

Oh, and thanks! Yeah, this one will evolve, but the pace may be a bit slower than I like as I'm getting married this summer. If I can get her to cheap out on a dress, we can have a fridge for the honeymoon adventure trip!

:camping:

Heh, wish me luck there...

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Yeah, just count your lucky stars that your wife-to-be is willing to camp for your honeymoon.

:sombrero:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Awesome truck, by the way! The regular cabs make me do a double take as well. Simple. Can't wait to see the build.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach