Am I crazy? I am lusting after a 2013 2.7 Tacoma regular cab, but is it healthy?

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I had the same thoughts about Toyota 'Quality' when I got my 2007 FJ Cruiser. It was reliable but it felt like it was rushed. I didn't like the throttle or the emergency brake assist. It felt like Toyota, in its hurry to be number #1 car company in the world, rushed the newer products and they lost the reliable and consistent 'feel' of their late nineties/early 2000's trucks. Maybe that's just how it goes when you introduce and electronic curtain between the user and the machine...it's a new 'normal' to get used to.

ebg18t

Adventurer
Having had a regular and extended cab in the past, I would never get a regular cab again. The extended cab worked out much better for stuffing my general crap when on a trip. Especially in winter and foul weather.

dnorrell

Adventurer
I spent a couple of hours on a test drive in an access cab yesterday and found it pretty great too. I love the look and wheelbase of the regular cab, but I think the AC may be the more practical choice. I'm not yet certain, but leaning to the access cab now :)

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I really have been considering a 4cyl. 5spd. AC Taco. I'm just curious if the MPG will be much better than a v6? Still driving my 100 series land cruiser and fuel is expensive, too expensive for a college budget. the 4cyl. are cheaper to buy used though it seems.

dnorrell

Adventurer
I've *read* that people see mileage that is better than what is reported on the sticker, particularly for those with the 5-speed, but I can't comfirm. Hopefully I can some day soon!

old1959

Older Guys

Also, don't forget us older guys. I started out in a regular cab over 30 years ago. Today I have an 05 Tundra double cab with over 100k and thinking about replacing it with a regular cab Tacoma. The kids are in college with their own cars so I don't want to spend a ton of money plus my wife has a CRV which we use (specially when parking will be tight such as in Seattle. My thoughts are to get a camper shell with windoors and build some type of easily removable raised platform for storage. Thought about getting a Tundra regular with short bed but when I found out the only option is the large V8 that killed that idea. I wonder if this is a trend since my retired neighbor recently bought a regular cab Colorado. He too didn't want a big truck.

Good conversation.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I had the same thoughts about Toyota 'Quality' when I got my 2007 FJ Cruiser. It was reliable but it felt like it was rushed. I didn't like the throttle or the emergency brake assist. It felt like Toyota, in its hurry to be number #1 car company in the world, rushed the newer products and they lost the reliable and consistent 'feel' of their late nineties/early 2000's trucks. Maybe that's just how it goes when you introduce and electronic curtain between the user and the machine...it's a new 'normal' to get used to.

Since the RC trucks are "base" models, it may be that Toyota cuts corners a bit when putting them together.

I've *read* that people see mileage that is better than what is reported on the sticker, particularly for those with the 5-speed, but I can't comfirm. Hopefully I can some day soon!

That has been my experience, I found it pretty easy to get 19 - 22 MPG on my 04 Taco with the 3.4 and 5 speed.

I don't know which auto transmission the 4 cyl has. I think the V6 has the same 5 speed auto (A740?) that's in my 4runner and I have to say, that's a pretty nice combo - I've been able to get 18-21 MPG even with the V6.

If the auto that's in the 4 cyl is the 4 speed A340 that was in my 99 4runner, I'd stay away, that thing really sucked power (and MPG) from the engine.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
The FJ was the vehicle I was referring to. Hardly a base model. :) I am excited at the prospect of a RC tacoma, though. The Rangers just aren't cutting it. I'm hoping the gas mileage is better too. My V6 ranger gets 14-15 mpg...God forbid you tow with it...you'll lose a few with even a very light trailer. Not horrible but sure could be better. My FJ got 21 on the freeway if you kept it at 65. (on Premium Unleaded...less with regular)

Prjktjho

I wish my FJ would have seen 20+mpg. I was at 18 stock and 17 w/ 285s. I now have a 12' regular cab 4x4 auto. I love that truck. I average 23-24mpg @~65mph in the mountains of WV during semester where I am driving 2-3k a month. About 20 in the city. My driving style is that if I'm doing the speed limit, I'm speeding. That may account for higher numbers. Sometimes not getting an access cab is a regret, but it's only when it rains and I have gear in my bed. I think a toolbox is going to help change that. I'm single(legally), and commute for school so it is perfect. For the price, for a true 4wd vehicle, it does its job perfectly. Having less room and luxury makes you realize how much you can truly live without!

J

JWP58

I think I get around 20mpg on my longer hwy trips. Even though Im hauling *** through Wyoming going head first into a 30mph, up hill, and doing 85mph.

When I slow down and smell the roses I get way better mileage.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Those are very impressive numbers, and I have always been interested in the 4cylinder because of the potential fuel savings over my 13mpg 100 series, especially since I don't need/use all that space. I also don't see fuel prices heading down, although they're low-ish now...i can see them going back up in the near future. How do you guys feel about the power difference? Is it worth it? Access cab for me is a must.

Explorer
Tacomas I've owned:

2001 reg cab 2.7 5spd - awesome truck, solid, nimble, simple and fuel efficient 23+ if i drive slow - highly rec. 5spd w/this motor (my favorite truck)

2006 DBL cab 4.0 manual - good truck, not a huge fan of the tranny, motor has more power than needed, and less fuel mileage than wanted.

2006 access cab 4.0 5spd - bastard of a truck, not big enough for four people. Big but mostly worthless space. hated the 6spd, no gear low enough or tall enough.

2011 dbl cab 4.0 auto - Sweet truck! only auto I've ever loved, feels WAY better built than the 06 Tacomas. (2nd favorite truck)

I would say go big (DBL cab) or go nimble (Reg cab) the access has the disadvantages of both without the merits. Also, the 2.7 is impressive with a 5spd, but the 4.0 is better with the automatic. I normally hate autos, but the 6sp offering just doesn't jive with the 4.0 power. The clutch feels week and the transmission gears start too high and are too close together without enough overdrive in 6th for good mileage.

dnorrell

Adventurer
Well, after stewing a bit, I'm leaning toward the 2.7 access cab for my needs, and automatic to boot. I drove it quite a bit and I'm confident it will suit both my practical needs and leisurely driving style more than adequately. I find that the access cab, again for my needs, is far from a "bastard" truck because it has a more usable bed size, and I have no need to carry more than 1 additional person currently (that's what the other car is for). We do plan to have a family a couple years down the line, but even so, this will be my commuter and camping rig, and we won't be camping with a tot right out of the gate. The access cab will work ok when the tot is in a booster seat, but it would likely be time to find a roomier solution at that time - but we are talking 3.5-4 years out, minimum. So, for my current needs, the access cab will work great for toting myself to work, and the two of us to primo camping destinations until family life is in full swing. I also found the access cab to be plenty maneuverable; I was pleasantly surprised at how the turning radius compares to my JK Unlimited.

At times, I think "golly-gee, the V6 TRD sure might be nice..." but I certainly don't put it in the need category, and this pleases the budget :)

Loved all the feedback. I'll certainly post whatever I end up getting, but I may have to order as I would love to get the heavy-duty all-weather flooring in the access cab.

Explorer
Cool, you might check that back seat for fitment of the Child seat first. My 06 access cab is horrible for fitting car seats, its actually impossible to comfortably and safely fit the forward mounted seats. Think long and hard about the DBL cab before you rule it out ;)

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I wouldnt rule the DBL cab out either. My BIL had the same truck as mine 2.7L ACC 5-speed, but then had a kid. He got the 2.7 truck thinking it would be good for the fist few years of having the little gut but almost immediately decided he had made a mistake and switched to the DBL cab. I love my 2.7 access cab but dont have any kids and dont plan on them in the near future.

Good luck, I dont think you can go too wrong. I lust after the reg. cabs all the time, but love and use the extra space behind the seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach