Ambo To slide-on

Dozoor

Ive seen a few Ambulance coversions on here and decided to try and convert one to a slide on .

Slideons are a little pricey here in OZ.

Plans are to strip the interior , then a simple refit. Remove the skirts to floor level,
a forty five degree cut on the rear for a better departure .
The body is alloy clad polystyrene 50mm thick and all doors are the same thickness.
Rear door will be shortened to accomadate the angle cut and a mesh screen made up ,this will create a nearly full width awning window for the rear.
The two other doors will be cut in half and re hinged from the top, the lower half openings will be made into recesses with
alloy backing for the storage of jerry cans ,high lift jack ect ------ anyways heres the junk:)
003.jpg

005-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

started to strip the inside , and found that the glue the use to hold these things together was a lot stronger then i thought, reciprocating saw so so , 4" grinder noisy dusty not so great . So hit bunnings and grabbed on of these air chisels, now the weapon of choice mmmm

006.jpg

right side overheads and lower benchs removed.
002.jpg

Love to cut n slash :)

Last edited:

Dozoor

Thanks for the welcome MC , tore out the rest of the full hieght cupboard in the above pic .
now i have three entree doors lol,
Done the over head on the other side this afternoon,

grab some more demolition pics soon .

Dozoor

Well if any body argues that adhesive fixing of alloy to alloy is weak , you can laugh your head off at them !! stuff sticks like poop to a blanket :Wow1:

Anyways a bit of persaverence and viola one empty box,
with plenty of opening doors .

004-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

At least i feel its getting some where .

Brazen

Any updates?? Im about to start modifying the same ambo box... but as a camper trailer rather than a slide on. Be good to see how yours has progressed.

Cheers

RussellM

I am considering an ambo based camper trailer build too. Looking forward to seeing more details.

Sent from my HUAWEI SONIC using Tapatalk

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Where are you guys getting the boxes from

I have a 6 wheel land cruiser sitting in Brisbane that I would like to put something like this on. But living in the USA I have not been able to find anything like this online. Any suggestions???

RepairmanSki

Observer
I have a 6 wheel land cruiser sitting in Brisbane that I would like to put something like this on. But living in the USA I have not been able to find anything like this online. Any suggestions???

Here's one with a body style like that in PHX.

1985 Ford Ambulance in very good condition and very low miles - $7,900 OBO. It was used by an electric company for emergency purposes in outlying areas and was primarily kept in their warehouse, perfectly maintained. It has 19,400 ORIGINAL MILES. Though it is a 1985 vehicle, from a miles perspective it is basically new. Tires are also new and original paintjob is perfect (proof that is was babied). We acquired it from a trade situation but already have 2 extra vehicles in our yard that aren't being used (plus we'd have to alter the paintjob as we would use it for a plumbing truck). Everything appears to work - lights, sirens, air thing in the back (not sure what it's called), inverter, etc. Please call with questions or to schedule a time to look at and test drive. You can email or call me at 480-221-2844 - David

pycet.jpg

And another in Arrowhead:

1997 TURBO DIESEL 7.3 POWER STROKE F450 AMUBLANCE, ONLY 113000 MILES THIS TRUCK IS INCREDIBLY STRONG RUNNING. BOX IS INSULATED NOT HOT INSIDE EVEN IN SUMMER EVEN WITHOUT THE AC RUNNING. TONS OF LOCKABLE STORAGE. NEW MICHELIN TIRES. POWER WINDOWS, POWER BRAKES, POWER STEERING, POWER LOCKS, TILT, CRUISE. WOULD MAKE GREAT SERVICE TRUCK. WRAP IT AND WATCH YOUR BUSINESS GROW, THIS TRUCK TURNS HEADS EVERYWHERE WE TAKE IT. ALL LIGHTS WORK. HAS SPOT LIGHTS ON BOTH SIDES AND REAR. PHONE CALLS ONLY. NO TEXT OR EMAILS WILL BE RETURNED 602-298-7946 PRICE JUST REDUCED $2500.00. THIS IS AND EXCELLENT LOOKING AND RUNNING TRUCK.

NCmRs.jpg

Qoutes and images pulled from CL, because I hate coming in and reading a thread where the relevant info is expired and deleted.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Actually I have this one in Phoenix but I am looking for a box in Australia to put on my vehicle that is in Brisbane / Australia.

Painted-3-L.jpg

Brazen

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Bugger! My landcruiser is just out in Beaudesert. I have sent the guy a message on ebay so we will see what happens.

Thanks for the lead.

RussellM

Most of those ambo bodies were on Ford f250s so another good option would be to get onto one of the f-truck specific wreckers in Brisbane. They would have been ripped off to convert into utes.

Sent from my HUAWEI SONIC using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad