An Australian made expedition 4x4

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Mick, can you just imagine how much it would cost to build that truck professionally. I'd say it was definitely a labour of love. How is some of the detail in the systems, especially the plumbing? Check out the schematics he's got on the website. I could look at those pics for ages.

How was the underfloor heating system too? We played around with a similar thing back in '87 using bi directional fibreglass cloth with strands of carbon fibre woven longtitudinally about 20mm apart. Then we put a small current through all the carbon to give us sort of an electric blanket over the surface but with very fine temperature control. We threw aluminum granules and powder into the topcoat too to get a really even surface temp and heat transfer. So there was no cold spots like you could get when the tubes are 50mm apart and then covered with a conventional floor covering.

Ever been in an Oka?

whatcharterboat

G'day oka boy

Sorry mate. Of course, Welcome to ExPo, they'll let Sandgropers in anywhere. Good to here from you and please post some pics of your truck up in the general expedition camper thread. I'm sure alot of the US guys would have never seen an Oka before so you should get a good response.

Regards John

Mickldo

Adventurer
Mick, can you just imagine how much it would cost to build that truck professionally. I'd say it was definitely a labour of love. How is some of the detail in the systems, especially the plumbing? Check out the schematics he's got on the website. I could look at those pics for ages.

How was the underfloor heating system too? We played around with a similar thing back in '87 using bi directional fibreglass cloth with strands of carbon fibre woven longtitudinally about 20mm apart. Then we put a small current through all the carbon to give us sort of an electric blanket over the surface but with very fine temperature control. We threw aluminum granules and powder into the topcoat too to get a really even surface temp and heat transfer. So there was no cold spots like you could get when the tubes are 50mm apart and then covered with a conventional floor covering.

Ever been in an Oka?

There has definitely been a lot of man hours gone into the construction of that.

I have downloaded all of those photos and I look at them all the time. Each time I look at them I see more design ideas that I missed in previous viewings.

That floor heating system sounds good. Heard any reports back on it later than '87? Still working? Effective? Any photos?

No I haven't been in an OKA but a guy that lives up the road from my old house was rebuilding one in his front yard that I drove past each day and drooled over. It was an ex-fire dept dual cab that the owner has converted back to a van and added a pop top to the roof. It should be nice once he finishes it.

whatcharterboat

That floor heating system sounds good. Heard any reports back on it later than '87? Still working? Effective? Any photos?

Nah, That was B.C. (before children). Don't have too many pics from back then. Another guy and I were doing real cutting edge composite stuff back then. One of the composite companys used to just give us all this wierd gear and asked us to see what we could do with it. Picked up the Australian Design Award (Sports & Leisure Category) that year too for an epoxy manufacturing process BTW. We used the carbon heating process in pressure molds (like a giant sandwich maker) to heat cure the products instead of using an autoclave like the Formula 1 guys do.

Each time I look at them I see more design ideas that I missed in previous viewings.

Me too.

No I haven't been in an OKA but a guy that lives up the road from my old house was rebuilding one in his front yard that I drove past each day and drooled over. It was an ex-fire dept dual cab that the owner has converted back to a van and added a pop top to the roof. It should be nice once he finishes it.

Alot of the tour operators used to use them up on Cape York but the maintenance just got way too much to cope with. Although I believe they handled the corrugations well and run very similar spring packs to what we put on our FGs. That's what the operators seemed to change over too. FG's. I'd like to hear "Engineers" comments about OKAs. I'm sure he could tell a few stories about them. They certainly look the part, don't they?

I've been over to their factory back when they were powering along in 2001. Big setup. They tell me they have a new model. What's with that?? Have you seen it?

Mickldo

Adventurer
Nah, That was B.C. (before children). Don't have too many pics from back then. Another guy and I were doing real cutting edge composite stuff back then. One of the composite companys used to just give us all this wierd gear and asked us to see what we could do with it. Picked up the Australian Design Award (Sports & Leisure Category) that year too for an epoxy manufacturing process BTW. We used the carbon heating process in pressure molds (like a giant sandwich maker) to heat cure the products instead of using an autoclave like the Formula 1 guys do.
Very Cool. I might have to PM you about carbon fibre some time for a project a mate and I are doing.

:bike_rider:

Alot of the tour operators used to use them up on Cape York but the maintenance just got way too much to cope with. Although I believe they handled the corrugations well and run very similar spring packs to what we put on our FGs. That's what the operators seemed to change over too. FG's. I'd like to hear "Engineers" comments about OKAs. I'm sure he could tell a few stories about them. They certainly look the part, don't they?

I like the look, design idea, and the fact they are Aussie but because I am unfamiliar with them I don't know how they would go long term. I'd love to hear more about them too.

I've been over to their factory back when they were powering along in 2001. Big setup. They tell me they have a new model. What's with that?? Have you seen it?

I thought Susi and Ruedi's OKA was the first of the new NT model as opposed to the old LT model. Or have they bought out a new one? Doesn't look like it from the website.

http://www.oka.com.au/

This one looks the same as the one up the road before he converted it to a van.

firetruck.jpg

whatcharterboat

I thought Susi and Ruedi's OKA was the first of the new NT model as opposed to the old LT model. Or have they bought out a new one? Doesn't look like it from the website.

Yeah. Ok. It was the NT I read about but for some reason, I wrongly thought that it was still to be released and that the current model was still the older LT.

Hey Mick, if the new model is the NT, I wonder if the next one will be called the ACT and then maybe the QLD or the NSW. Haha.

oka boy

Observer
:smiley_drive::smiley_drive:Hi all,Ruedi certanly spend a lot of time and money getting everything just right,the only problem is the overall weight,at the moment with everything on it and ready for a trip is over the gross vehicle weight,His was the first NT,some minor changes to the body(headlights surround)were made since
the new model comes with Cummins ISB common rail 4 cyl diesel,Allison 1000
OKA transfer case(man by BAE)OKA diffs (manufactured by BAE),cabs and bodies are made at the factory,its all hand assembled,it had some teething probs which are easily rectified if you know what to look for,in the earlier model (XT) we had 4 cyl Perkins,Spicer T5 290 5 speed box,NP 205 transfer case,Dana 60 to the front and Dana 70 to rear,all very reliable gear and easily repairable,I upgrade my axles to 35 splines and never had a problem.
The maintenance issue is on going as the vehicle has grease nipples eeeevvvery were,mine at the moment is totally striped and I'm still working on some changes on order to accomodate the expedition body.mine is a bit different from the stock std I have a Cummins 4BT,NV 4500 gearbox,NP 205 transfer case and seriously considering a set of Solid industries Dana 80's but I will have to work many hrs to be able to afford them.
Will have to go over to the OKA factory next week,will post some pics of the new beast

Mickldo

Adventurer
:smiley_drive::smiley_drive:Hi all,Ruedi certanly spend a lot of time and money getting everything just right,the only problem is the overall weight,at the moment with everything on it and ready for a trip is over the gross vehicle weight,His was the first NT,some minor changes to the body(headlights surround)were made since
the new model comes with Cummins ISB common rail 4 cyl diesel,Allison 1000
OKA transfer case(man by BAE)OKA diffs (manufactured by BAE),cabs and bodies are made at the factory,its all hand assembled,it had some teething probs which are easily rectified if you know what to look for,in the earlier model (XT) we had 4 cyl Perkins,Spicer T5 290 5 speed box,NP 205 transfer case,Dana 60 to the front and Dana 70 to rear,all very reliable gear and easily repairable,I upgrade my axles to 35 splines and never had a problem.
The maintenance issue is on going as the vehicle has grease nipples eeeevvvery were,mine at the moment is totally striped and I'm still working on some changes on order to accomodate the expedition body.mine is a bit different from the stock std I have a Cummins 4BT,NV 4500 gearbox,NP 205 transfer case and seriously considering a set of Solid industries Dana 80's but I will have to work many hrs to be able to afford them.
Will have to go over to the OKA factory next week,will post some pics of the new beast

Thanks for the info.

Can't wait for the photos.

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
Mick, can you just imagine how much it would cost to build that truck professionally

Most of it was. The cabin was built in Europe and shipped out to fit to the chassis in WA AND two of the employees from the European company came out to OZ to complete the fitout.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Any one watch their movies from sept/oct 2008?
Even their camera work is down to perfection.:chef:

Does anyone know the total weight of their OKA?
It looks pretty heavy coming through the rocky sections in the videos.

Mickldo

Adventurer
Any one watch their movies from sept/oct 2008?
Even their camera work is down to perfection.:chef:

Does anyone know the total weight of their OKA?
It looks pretty heavy coming through the rocky sections in the videos.

G'day Rosco

I just watched the vids then. :smiley_drive:

Yeah, it does look a bit top heavy there. I think the GVM might be a bit high but I think most of that is from a high COG. Maybe if the camper was a pop top it wouldn't sway that much?

oka boy

Observer
Hi all,Its probably the heaviest OKA in Australia,it's around 8 tons,when they built it they had to leave the spare tyre carrier out because the vehicle was too heavy for registration,there is no safety margin for off road use as the vehicle runs with a full load all the time and has to work hard at all times,most OKA's run at about 5.5 to 6 tons and that is a lot better for you nerves when you are in hilly country.
Cheers
Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal