An Australian made expedition 4x4

oka boy

Observer
The cab chassis starts at about A$ 150,000,complete bus body with seats about A$185,000,I'm not sure if they will produce a LH drive on the NT model,it's not a cheap 4x4 it's all made and put together by hand.This prices include road costs and Tax so for export it will be a fair bit cheaper.
cheers
joe

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Hi all,Its probably the heaviest OKA in Australia,it's around 8 tons,when they built it they had to leave the spare tyre carrier out because the vehicle was too heavy for registration,there is no safety margin for off road use as the vehicle runs with a full load all the time and has to work hard at all times,most OKA's run at about 5.5 to 6 tons and that is a lot better for you nerves when you are in hilly country.
Cheers
Joe

Mickledo
G'day Rosco

I just watched the vids then.

Yeah, it does look a bit top heavy there. I think the GVM might be a bit high but I think most of that is from a high COG. Maybe if the camper was a pop top it wouldn't sway that much?

Certainly shows when he has to put one wheel down in a ditch. I did read on his site it was a little overweight.
Sounds like it needs a total rethink.
Lucky he is a competant driver:smiley_drive:

What is the GVM of the Oka NT?
This propensity of us expedition camper owners to overload vehicles is how I ended up with a U500 Unimog, GVM = 15000kg. I max out absolutely loaded at 12.7 ton.

Charlie

oka boy

Observer
Earlier models,XT,LT GVM was 6000kg,with the NT is hard to say as some mods allowed the engineers to increased it slightly,in the case of Ruedi's NT 001,air bags were fitted as std to allow for the extra weight of the camper and all other goodies with an increased GVM,mine ready to go steps on the scales at 5.4 t,I'm very selective about what I carry and paranoid about overloading.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
While I'm definitely not a fan of these trucks I had to post these pics. A friend took them for me today when we were camping up the beach with a group of students. Very clean and tidy removable camper setup with electric jacks.

I had a long talk to the owner mainly about 19.5" tyre selection. He's running 19.5" x 305 Michelin XDE on custom 19.5 x 8.25 rims. He also has modded the suspension with airbags to level the ride and reduce body roll on the road and fitted big Tough Dog shocks. He said he'd love to ft a 6.5 litre V8 diesel in place of the Perkins. Also this one is only rated at 5t GVM max which he usually travels at without carrying too much extra.

I didn't get to see inside and I certainly wouldn't ask anyway. I know how sick most truck owners must tired of the constant attention.

He said it's a major step up after his 100 Series Cruiser and camper trailer. What do you think of it?

3488092645_00abbac762.jpg

3488098747_55eb9e2f41.jpg

3488105487_aa57e3fe34.jpg

oka boy

Observer
Nice clean unit,I think is OKA 023 looks like Peter's rig from Southampton,Thanks for the photos.

Rosco,dont have pics of mine at mom as is in a million bits going through a complete rebuild,Im planning an album with all the steps of the rebuild but time is allways precious and in high demand.

outbackjack

Observer
Nice,That gives me some ideas for a Canter. I wonder who may the body, would be good to get more info on it

I was keen on getting a OKA, but they are overprice in my opinion. A mid 90`s OKA is anywhere from 30 to 60k.

Much better in getting a Canter and being able to get parts anywhere etc.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Nice clean unit,I think is OKA 023 looks like Peter's rig from Southampton,Thanks for the photos.

His name was Peter but he is the third owner now and he was from the Gold Coast.

Much better in getting a Canter and being able to get parts anywhere etc.
05-01-2009 08:53 PM

I think they look awesome but I'm afraid I have to agree with you there. It's why some of the tour operators are going away from them in favour of Canter's and Isuzu's.

engineer

Adventurer
I've taken an interest in them, only because of the Cummins/Allison set up. Air disc are a bonus also.
No tilt cab is a downside, but Bae make good stuff (axles, transfer).
Waiting on them to arrive in Cairns for another company so I can have a look!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal