An Australian made expedition 4x4

Mickldo

Adventurer
I've taken an interest in them, only because of the Cummins/Allison set up. Air disc are a bonus also.
No tilt cab is a downside, but Bae make good stuff (axles, transfer).
Waiting on them to arrive in Cairns for another company so I can have a look!

Well don't forget the photos so we can see it too.:wings:

engineer

Adventurer
I gotta find one first Mickster, Been argueing with my boss over John's bosses price!!! Oka is close to 50K cheaper!!!

engineer

Adventurer
I can't win, does anyone have any info on how to convince someone that the lowest quote is not the one you should go with? I'm beating my head against a brick wall.....

Mickldo

Adventurer
I can't win, does anyone have any info on how to convince someone that the lowest quote is not the one you should go with? I'm beating my head against a brick wall.....

If you find out can you tell me so we might have a chance winning some government contracts.....

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Nice,That gives me some ideas for a Canter. I wonder who may the body, would be good to get more info on it

I was keen on getting a OKA, but they are overprice in my opinion. A mid 90`s OKA is anywhere from 30 to 60k.

Much better in getting a Canter and being able to get parts anywhere etc.
Have to disagree with some of that 'outbackjack', of course, I am not without bias.....
The real strengths of the OKA for expedition use include...
1. No tilt cab.
and...
2. Very ridgid chassis.
Combined, these mean that a bed-over cab is easy. This provides much more effective living space, and the bed is always made up.
3. Generic bits.
Most mechanicals on our XT (1994) are Dana Spicer and readily available. All instruments are VDO....All glass is flat....All sheet metal is flat....
If you can't buy one, you can make it or have it made, easily.
4. It is a "simple" machine.
There is one wire that makes our engine go or stop, and I know where it is.........
5. It has a very capable suspension.
You will need to spend A$20,000 on your Canter before you match it.

This little video clip demonstrates articulation. The jump-up is about 1:3, quite steep.

More pics & video in the link below.

That is not to say that it does not have weaknesses, every vehicle does, but so far they are fixable or we can live with them.
We live in OKA196 for 8 months out of 12 (for the last 5 years) and the vehicle still surprises us with its capability.....it 'eats' Tojos.....
Cheers,
Peter
ps... we have travelled with Susi & Ruedi a few times.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal