An introduction to my new LR3

OregonGX

Did you switch wheels due to style preferences? The ones that were on it were 18s right? (wide 5 spoke)

I switched wheels from the factory spec 19'' wheels to the 18'' SE wheels to get more all-terrain tire options and more sidewall when airing down.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Changed out the stock 19s for these steel 18s. I think they look better and I really prefer steel vs the mag as they don't breakIMG_0205.jpg

After some major lurking and research the past few weeks on a bunch of LR forums, time to introduce myself and my new truck.

As of Sunday, I closed a deal on a two-owner 2008 LR3 with 54,000 miles. The vehicle was traded into a Mercedes-Benz dealer here in Oregon and lived its life in the PNW (first in Seattle, then in Portland). After a test drive, a PPI, and some haggling, I closed the deal and brought the truck home yesterday.

The build is great - lux package, HD package, alpaca on Zermatt. Probably my perfect color combo. I've been a sucker for silver on tan since my GX470 and how cool that combo stays in the summer.

My wife and I share a commute so we recently purchased an EV for daily driving duty and this will be my weekend runabout, mountain car, and snow vehicle. (And some wheeling with the local Rover club here in Portland.)

The PPI revealed the need to do LCAs, a leaking transfer case, weepy coolant bleed valve and a few other small items: air filters, partially clogged sunroof drain, 1/2 the heated windshield is inoperational, and (oddly) a missing battery tie down (I think a shop flunky forgot it at some point).

The tilt/telescopic was also inoperational, which was a great leveraging ******** with the dealership as they were planning to have LR Portland replace the column as well as the 19'' tires - I told them to sell it to me and give me the money off ?

My plan for the truck at this point is to get to capable wheeler/reliable mountain truck via the following mods, with the most significant expense in my budget being getting all maintenance up to speed so I can feel confident taking my family over the Cascades in winter (in-laws are in Central Oregon).

• Replace LCAs, all fluids, repair t-case, address bleed t, lift and alignment at my local indy
  • 18'' SE wheels
  • 265/65/18 AT tires (Falken Wildpeaks are currently in the lead due to price, reviews and severe snow rating. Open to suggestions and input.)
  • Winch bumper (ARB is in the lead due looks and never being able to afford one back in the day as a kid with a Jeep ZJ).
  • Winch (I have a 9,000lb Warn and 12,000 pound Milemarker. Which should I drop in? My gut says for the weight of the LR3 I need the 12K if it fits. I'm going to upgrade whatever goes in with 150' of synthetic line to save a bit of weight.)
  • Lighting (I am thinking Hella 500 LED Valuefit for the low voltage draw and somewhat compact size to preserve airflow. I think I will also run the amber guards for fog and low visibility conditions here in the PNW, as well as matching them to the factory fogs in the winch bumper with Lamin-X)
  • Lift via IIDTool
  • Rear seat protection from my toddler ?
  • Remove factory running boards

Holding off on:
  • Sliders
  • Rear bumper
  • Roof rack

Srl97fJ.jpg
Congrats on your purchase, we have almost the same car and now have 155,00 miles on it. Yes, it did need some service here and there but it has always brought us home. I have an ARB winch bumper and the one thing that you might consider before you purchase one is that you cannot remove the headlights from the front to change any bulbs. Its a PITA. Don't think ARB thought this part trough very thoroughly. You might look at the Rovers North and Lucky 8 versions as an alternative.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
As a long time LR3 enthusiast and former owner, we now have a GX in the family and its interesting to compare. I agree with your previously stated synopsis, and could go on and on about the differences, but you summed it up well, the LR3 is more pleasurable to drive.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have an ARB bumper and have removed my headlights to change bulbs. Yes it is a PITA but it can be done.

I have an ARB bumper and have removed my headlights to change bulbs. Yes it is a PITA but it can be done.
Mine seems to eat headlight bulbs! I probably changed both sides at least 4 time in the last couple of years. I would really like to figure out how you take the light assemblies our thru the top tube on the ARB. I can loosen them and stick my fingers (just barely) from the back but have never figured how to get the light cluster out thru the bumper. Any tricks or clues you could share would be appreciated as I know I'm going to be replacing bulbs again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77