ANOTHER Guy With A Gen 2.5 Build - Sure, why Not? It's My First!

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Well, I wasn't completely pleased with the Hi-Lift mount. I kept looking at it and decided it needed gussets on the bottom of the arm too.

After pulling it off the Monty I just ground the paint off where I was going to be welding. Not super crazy careful because it's just a bulky heavy duty mount.

montero-28.jpg

I had a few of these gussets laying around, so went with two of them.

montero-29.jpg

Buzzed them on.

montero-30.jpg

Cleaned up the slag splatter and decided to go with the same Duplicolor spray-on bedliner that I did on the front bumper. I was skeptical as to how it was going to hold up when I did the bumper, but it is still looking good.

montero-31.jpg

Mounted up.

montero-32.jpg

With the jack back in place.

montero-34.jpg

Last edited:

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Kirk, let's go back to your hi-lift mount for a moment.

I know we all have "saggy hinge paranoia", but I'm wondering...how much extra weight do you think the spare tire carrier and/or tailgate can handle??? I've got a ton of ideas for adding things there, but I would hate to finish mounting things only to find out the hard way that it's too heavy for the hinges.

What do you think?

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
When you shut the door you can feel the weight somewhat, but I really don't think it's heavy enough to hurt the hinges. It might if I drove around with the door open and it wasn't supported by the latch.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
CAP510 has been running a huge 37" tire back there for years. It does show some wear but not enough to be concerned IMHO.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Well, I've got a 33 on mine...the difference in tire weight is only about 25 lbs between a 33 and 37 (roughly 50 vs 75 lbs).

If his 37 is coming close to maxing it out, then that doesn't leave much carrying capacity on top of a 33. Even a 5 gal. Nato can would weigh more than 25 lbs when full.

Oh well...time to add a swing away rack to the bumper I guess!

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
It's been a while since I posted any new bits, but I finally figure out where to put my CB. It's larger than DIN so I had to make a few modifications, but it's in there!

10414652_10152499066439182_3616688551702903915_n.jpg

nckwltn

Explorer
I know. I canceled my hosting. I need to repost. I'll see if I can get them back up in the next couple days.

might be a bit of a pain, but flickr now allows for a crazy amount of photos to be uploaded for free. A few years back that wasn't the case. Better than photobucket by a mile

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Thanks. I got them hosted. I have about half of them replaced I the thread. I'll finish tomorrow.

might be a bit of a pain, but flickr now allows for a crazy amount of photos to be uploaded for free. A few years back that wasn't the case. Better than photobucket by a mile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach