Another Hole in the Rock / Canyonlands trip report: July 10th – 16th

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing some great pictures of awesome scenery. I also enjoyed seeing some full size trucks getting used. I do have a question. What type of compressor did you use for airing up? I have a Campbell Hausfield 12volt one, and it just doesn't cut it.

Thanks!

Bill’s compressor is a Viair from 4 Wheel Parts. It is typically mounted in the back of his Ram Charger along with a 2.5 gallon tank but he decided to bring his Ram on this trip so he temporarily mounted the compressor in that box. It works pretty well but still takes close to a half-hour to air up 8 tires.

I need to get a compressor mounted in my truck too but I am running out of room to mount things.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
It was hot!! We were on "Hole in the Rock Trail" July 14th and 15th with 4 Land Rovers. Can't believe we didn't run into you guys! I recently did a Disabled Explorers trip with Lance and Bill. That Bill is a hoot and his white Dodge will go anywhere, we even took that long wheel base thing on the first half of "Fins and Things" and he made it no problemo!!

I would have loved to see him make a go on some of those obstacles out near the lake at the end of "Hole in the Rock!!"

Great report.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
It was hot!! We were on "Hole in the Rock Trail" July 14th and 15th with 4 Land Rovers. Can't believe we didn't run into you guys! I recently did a Disabled Explorers trip with Lance and Bill. That Bill is a hoot and his white Dodge will go anywhere, we even took that long wheel base thing on the first half of "Fins and Things" and he made it no problemo!!

I would have loved to see him make a go on some of those obstacles out near the lake at the end of "Hole in the Rock!!"

Great report.

That would have been great to run into you guys. He really had a great time on the Disabled Explorers trip a while back with you guys. Actually, the 14th and 15th we were up in the Canyonlands area and already making our way up to Moab. We were in the Hole in the Rock area on 10th through 12th.

You’re right, Bill’s stock Dodge will go anywhere. He and I installed a set of front spring spacers and a fresh set of BFG LT295/75R16 AT KO’s before we left on this trip. Just the little bit of lift in front and better tires made the truck that much more capable. The truck did great but the nerf bars took a beating on this trip. He was planning to pull them off anyway.

Here is a video of him going down the stair steps at Hole in the Rock. Got some major air under the left rear tire and it looked like it was going over there for a second! We actually turned around at that point. This was the only obstacle the Dodge hiccupped on being it has open diffs at both ends. I parked at the top and winched him up until the Dodge gained traction again. With lockers that Dodge would be absolutely unstoppable. Bill is a heck of a driver too!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imR9CHXL9eg"]YouTube- Hole in the Rock trail 3[/ame]

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Great Trip!

Great trip thanks for sharing. I love the old Chevy it looks great. You guys are either crazy or tough, in that kind of heat I would have melted. I did the Hole in the Rock years ago in June and that was hot enough.

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Man, looks like you had a pretty EPIC adventure!

You have a lot of tremendous photos in your report, and tell a good story.

Thanks for the writeup!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven