Another rooftoptent question :)

dippitydoo

I have the medium campinglab and I'm curious if anyone has figured out a way to lock it down? I live in a rough neighborhood and I'd like to keep it covered and on the vehicle (no garage) instead of bribing one of my friends to help me man-handle it up there every weekend. I thought about possibly a thin steel cable and loop it through something, but I dunno. Any ideas? Thanks all:sombrero:

Token

Explorer
Spot weld the nuts and bolts..??

The downside is that most of the time when someone with an idea of stealing it comes across a tamper proofing, they damage it rather than giving up quickly..

Another solution.. Alarm..

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Ideas?
Window stickers: "This vehicle protected by Smith & Wesson"" , "Beware of Dog" , "Nevermind the dog...Beware of Owner". ;)

Bribe the neighborhood watch?

Actually, I am thinking that most criminals don't really want to work. As much of a chore as it is to remove one of these for storage, I don't think most would be interested in stealing one. I may be naive and I do come from a relatively secure rural area so my view may be skewed.

Last edited:

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
If you are using the factory mounts I really can't see anyone taking the time to steal it! To do it quickly they'd need at least two people and even then it wouldn't be a grab n go.

dippitydoo

Thanks all. I think probably an alarm would be easiest. Unless you have a ladder it'd be hard to get the tent off the top. I have to open the doors or stand on the wheels to bolt it on. It's mounted to a standard thule rack gutter mount system.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
... It's mounted to a standard thule rack gutter mount system.

Assuming you are running the standard Thule locking knobs? Are you worried about the entire rack/tent being stolen or thinking they might try and unbolt the tent from the rack? I it would be easy to add some 'pinning' bolts between the tent and the Thule load bars but your still relying on the pretty flimsy Thule locks to secure your tent. A more stalwart rack might open up some better security options while offering a better target at the same time :D

eugenethejeeper

Use Red loctite 272, or 680 bearing mount( green ) Just know it will never come off unless you cut it off or ues a torch to heat up the bolt.:ylsmoke:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I dono...

That tough nut system is slicker than snot! I love the idea, and it does not cost muck of anything to pick one up. If I were you I would certainly do this as the very least, and I would do it along with any other options you have...

Cool stuff there Mike S.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Is there a black market for roof top tents?

I'm sure it's possible, and I'm sure it's happened a few times, but that would have to be a very motivated robber to grab a RTT. A robber with a crane - now that's a different story.

compactcamping

Explorer
TuffNuts are a good option, although with Mombasa/CampingLab tent you'll need to make new wider bottom plates. With the standard ones you can grab the top portion of the TuffNut where they overhang the plates with channel locks easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat