Any 2004-08 F150 5.4L's around?

rlynch356

Defyota
I'm inheriting one, and was thinking of using it as my main Rig for trips...

And was looking for some input on bumpers, sliders, and a lift ... This stuff will be after I replace the motor and transmission...

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
This stuff will be after I replace the motor and transmission...
I think you kinda answered your own question...

I had an 04, it was a nice truck but not the most reliable 300hp powertrain, never seemed to be embraced from a 'build' perspective. I miss it cause it was a great daily, but also reckoned with the fact that even after you squeeze some extra HP out of it, you still have an old school power sapping 4-speed auto. The newer trucks with 6 (or 10) gears are night and day difference, and the 5.0 blows the 5.4 out of this dimension. Still, a free truck is a free truck. I just wouldn't go buck-wild modifying it if I were inheriting it.

Plenty of parts are available for them, it's the best selling vehicle in the USA, so there is tons of support. The front suspension geometry is a little limited on travel, compared to the later variations due to some subtle tweaks.

rlynch356

Defyota
Yeah already know I need to replace the motor and Tranny... it has 300k on it and a phaser issue that I know of. So to get it to a point where it is reliable enough for me use on the trips I'll replace the motor. It seems like the VCT is the main issue with the 5.4 3v, and normal other stuff any motor has.

Anew Motor., Transmission and some sorting miles should get it reliable enough for my uses. But Its not going to be as reliable as my LC200..

And its free, which makes it easier to add bits too to meet my needs, which will be more "Overland" type routes and not rock crawling.. also I have come to the point in my life where I want shelter that I can be IN when the weather is crap. So was already planning on a Pickup as my next rig.

Yes, there is a lot built for them but from the looks of it very little that I would consider usable...

For instance, Rock Sliders, no far google has given me zero options other than custom, but 100's of options for body mounted steps of all varieties.. which are usually damage multipliers..

Winch Bumpers & Rear Bumper tire carriers... almost same story... Expedition1 and Buckstop are good options for the front, and only Buckstop for the tire carrier it seems.

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Robert, I have two NIB TJM alum winch bumpers for that generation I think? Give me a shout if you want to try one? You doing Uwharrie the 15th? I’m about an hour away…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle