Any 2012 JKU Reviews?

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Now that the 2012 JKs have been out for a few minutes, does anybody have experience and impressions to share?

Timgco

Adventurer
...about 1500 miles on mine. Living close to the Rocky Mountains, I've had this Jk up the steep grades on I70 and up to 14,000 ft at Mt Evans. The 3.6/ 5 speed auto/ 4:10's are a great combo. Much better than the 2010 3.8 I had. I do not have the lift on yet with 35's for that comparison yet, but I can tell from driving my 2010 stock for a while, I would take this one hand's down. It's no HEMI powered JK, but very liveable. While the HP/ Torque numbers are not a huge increase, the real performance comes from that 5 speed Auto trans. The 5 speed trans. keeps the power in the optimal gear, so you have power on demand. Most of the daily driving that I do, is 40mph and higher. In that range, if you need to pass someone, it shifts and get's up and goes. Holding speeds 75mph to 80 mph (speed limit is 75mph on E470) it holds it's gears well and does not shift nearly as much as the 3.8 did.

Off-road it feels to have pleanty of power in 4Lo and the power in low rpm's are great. on the dyno, the numbers have shown to be very close. Throttle response also feels improved. Shifting into 4Hi/ Low is the same though. It hangs up on that linkage. My only complaint so far.

The interior upgrades are appreciated also. I have yet to install the Katzkin interior like I did in the 2010, however the heated seats that came in this JK feel every bit as warm as the aftermarket ones I had in my 2010. The Painted hardtop (silver) makes quite a difference over the black top I had on teh 2010. While some have expressed their hate for the lux painted top, I am loving it for the interior temp. differences on those 90+ degree days we had about a month ago. I prefer the look myself.

The engine note is deeper and not as "buzzy" to me. The engine bay is quiter from an interior sound at hwy speed standpoint. I added the SWAG Offroad hood strut kit to mine. I really like the feature for working under the hood vs flipping the hood back onto the roof. No more worries of the hood getting caught by a large wind gust.

I still had hood flutter with this one. Started at about 300 miles. LOL. So I added the Daystar Hood Latches to solve that issue.

Headlights have the same dull light output my 2010 had. The fog lamps have different connectors/ bulbs from my 2010. I plan to swap in the LED headlights/ still undecided on a waterproof LED fog.

The tailgate stays open now! YEAH! no more closing on you when you are loading/ unloading. The rear sub has an itegrated slot for a new hing that lightly holds open the door. I'm doubting a 35" or larger tire will hold open on a drsd leaning slope, but works well for the stock Rubicon 32" tire that came with the JK.
Now, the underside of this 2012 JKU is way too open. The engine/ trans is open, the exhaust is vulnerable also. I already hit both that bugle and the new resignator pipe on the exhaust. The only choices are to armor the UC AND relocate the exhaust or armor that up too. The bugle is at risk the most IMHO. While it does not hang really low, it is still open. I would not want to put a trip at risk due to that.

As with all of the JKU's that will see back country travel and tougher trails, the 2012 is no exception to needing upgrades.

The first thing you will notice looking under the new 2012, is how open it is. many vulnerable components.

My set of upcoming mods include the 3.5 AEV SC to increase gc. I am adding the AFE cross-over pipe/ Y pipe with full high-tuck exhaust to resolve my current dented pipes. I was told by AFE the banks will be the same length and the bugle is deleted in the process. This is great, as that loop-de-loop (bugle) hangs down low and is open to rock strikes. I am waiting for production pics of the bugle delete though. I am also adding full River Raider skids, front lower control arm skids, riddler diff covers, and 35" BFG AT's(for my winter set). The added skids will help insure I don;t take out any of those exposed components. It's quite a bit more open than my 2010 was.

Come Spring, the front Axle housing will get the inner axle sleaves and C gussets so as to not bend or crack that housing under tougher trails. I have seen a few do this in the past and I see no chages on the 2012, so best to upgrade that as well.

I hope that helps some. If you ahve other/ specific questions, wants specific pics, please let me know.

Tim.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Timgco, thanks for this review, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to find. We are seriously considering selling the Tacoma and getting a JKUR. There are some great deals on the 2011s, but the 2012s are certainly more responsive under throttle. However, we once had a bad experience with a first year engine and my wife is very wary of the new 3.6.

Hawkz

Adventurer
This is the first year for the 3.6 in the JK, but not the first year for the engine. I know it was in several models for 2011.

bldeagle10

Explorer
if you regear it puts the ecu or transmission into "Safe Mode"...so if you want to regear you have to spend even MORE money to buy an AEV controller to prevent this. the dealerships can't do anything about it. it is the biggest bunch of bull crap I have ever heard >.>

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Have to say I drover a 2012 last night with an Auto and I really was not that impressed. I would even say it was a little ho hum. I am one of the few people that dose not have a Problem with the 3.8 in the older JKs. But I really didn’t think the motor felt that much faster of torquer. I have 2007 2door with the 3.8 factory 4.11s and 35 and it has just as much get up and go. It is a Manuel and that might have something to do with it, but that test drive last night has me looking for a deal on a 2011. We have decided to get an Unlimited auto with our baby coming and will be moving out lift and stuff over to the new jeep with some new 4.11.

Nate

Canito is1

Been lurking for a while, and transitioned to a 2012 JKU Rubicon from a 2007 FJ Cruiser. Put 4800 miles on it already, and will be updating once I have a chance (road trip). Motor is much more responsive once the 1500 mile barrier is crossed. More to come in a few days! Happy Trails!

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I test drove a 2011 and a 2012 a few days ago. Both were nice, but the 2012 seemed a bit more more responsive. If it weren't a first year engine/transmission run, I wouldn't think twice about buying one.

bldeagle10

Explorer
as before said, it is a first year in the JK but not the first year for the motor, like the old JK motor it was taken out of a different chrysler vehicle, not sure which one (it is printed a few posts back) i do know the original v6 in the JK is from a minivan....

edit:
I lied, it isn't a few posts back, he just states it was in several vehicles before it was in the JK. regardless, it is not a first year run for the motor.

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Engine and power

I got back from a Colorado trip a few weeks ago. I was traveling with a friend that was driving his 2 door, 2012, Rubicon, in stock trim. He was pulling a trailer that weighed about 3000 lbs. I was in my 2011, JKU, 5.7l VVT Hemi, 37's, geared 5.13, pulling my Chaser. When we got to a pass, that climbed to about 12,000 ft, my buddy left me in the dust when I had to stop 500 vertical feet from the top. Hemi was running hot. I was definitely impressed with the 2012's new engine/tranny combo. It will be interesting to see how well the 2012 pulls a set of 35's. BTW, at our first fuel stop, the 2012 was getting about 13mpg pulling that heavy trailer through the mountains. I was at about 10 mpg.

BTW, if you run bigger tires and regear the 2011's, you still have to buy an AEV procal to tell the chasis computer that you're running bigger tires and different gear ratio. If you don't, you won't be very happy with the shifting of the auto tranny. Just my $0.02

Last edited:

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
as before said, it is a first year in the JK but not the first year for the motor, like the old JK motor it was taken out of a different chrysler vehicle, not sure which one (it is printed a few posts back) i do know the original v6 in the JK is from a minivan....

edit:
I lied, it isn't a few posts back, he just states it was in several vehicles before it was in the JK. regardless, it is not a first year run for the motor.

Yes, but no. The Pentastar is actually a family of V-6 engines, modified for different purposes:

http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php

Hence, the hesitation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism