Any Jeep Patriot owners?

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
You have not used a rro lift on a patriot. I have YEARS of experience as well. Reading tons of posts mean nothing. I have real world results...and stu's is not KIT its springs. It does nothing for geometry correction. So how would it be better than the RRO kit that comes with geometry correction parts? please, enlighten me. Yes, in this case, disagreeing with me does make you totally wrong because you have NO EXPERIENCE with the RRO kit and I do have first hand knowledge as I OWNED one. Yeah debates in college are for people who think they know it all. But never put their "knowledge" to good use like those of us who use our knowledge in the real world. take care!
Welcome to the Internet.

tommudd

Explorer
Yes I know stumpalump. I am just trying to steer the OP in the proper direction.

No experinece with the kit ? LOL
I have worked on all kinds of Jeeps not just KJs and KKs
But I'll let you think you won, lets just hope some people get out and ask other folks who have dealt with them

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Ok. Did you own a patriot with the rro kit in it? No? Then you have no experience. Again. Please tell us in your self imposed infinite wisdom how springs are better than a complete kit with geometry correction etc?

kojackJKU

Why? I have dealt with them on many occasions, as well as my friends with great customer service. Again I think your know it all attitude had something to do with your dealings with them. If you even had any dealings at all and not just hear say.

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
Here's my old Patriot on the beach at Corrola NC, it was a great mild overloading platform - spent quite a few nights sleeping in the back. Only thing I really did was to replace the stock tires with Yokohama Geolanders.

400507_2986258143428_810474342_n.jpg397191_2986257983424_87277572_n.jpg

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
Its a Rola Roof Basket with PIAA 520's attached using an old light bar bracket I found on eBay. Sorry I don't have any better pics handy. I ran the wires down to the back of the roof and in through the tailgate.

386428_2986259063451_1173150291_n.jpg

kojackJKU

I ran the sport rack basket on mine with piaa light mounts for roll bars, 4 Hella 500s with 55w HIDs on the roof. it was awesome.

Sandstone

Recently got my wife a '14 Patriot Latitude. She loves it and I've warmed up to it, always been a Toyota/Subie guy. Anyway, looking to make some overland mods to it. We're aware there are limitations to such a vehicle considering it's ride height and lack of low range. We would like to make some useful modifications to improve offroad prowess without sacrificing reliability. Anyone else choose one of these for mild overland travel?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'd agree with tires being first on the list. We do a lot of wheeling with our FDII, so I upgraded to 235/75/15 Duratrac's on Ravine rims from an '06 TJ. Big improvement over the stock SRA's. 235/75/15 is also a very common size, so there's lots of choices besides the Duratrac's.

I've also added the CRDSTU lift springs, a set of JKS Quicker disconnects in the front, and removed the sway bar links in the rear.

The springs are good for adding an inch of clearance, and an extra inch of strut compression (taken from the extension side), plus they are a linear spring (as opposed to the stock "progressive") so they don't compress as fast as the stock springs. Helps keep you from bottoming out. The street handling is better as well, less roll on turns.

The disconnects make it a lot easier going over obstacles; you don't need as much power since you don't have to overcome the resistance of the anti-roll bar.

So far I can say that none of these mods negatively effected reliability, especially with all the wheeling we've done.

O'DubhGhaill

Recently got my wife a '14 Patriot Latitude. She loves it and I've warmed up to it, always been a Toyota/Subie guy. Anyway, looking to make some overland mods to it. We're aware there are limitations to such a vehicle considering it's ride height and lack of low range. We would like to make some useful modifications to improve offroad prowess without sacrificing reliability. Anyone else choose one of these for mild overland travel?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes indeed. My wife bought a 2014 Latitude (she loves it) and I bought a 2014 Latitude FDII (same here). Here is a look at mine:
ec900cb1-791d-4692-994a-48ef93358cad_zpse205eaf5.jpg

726a1d1a-3903-49de-af8e-d40fddf9e5d0_zps61e487ac.jpg

I posted more pics and a complete list of the accessories/mods I've added to date HERE. I found the Little Overlander article to be highly inspirational, although I have not gone the lift route yet. Relatedly, and interestingly, my Pat sits appx. one inch lower overall than my wife's Latitude - she has my original 17" alloys with the Goodyear S-RAs. I wonder if the SuperSliders have weighed it down a bit? The 215/70R16 are supposed to be about the same height as the 215/65R17 - perhaps they are not as tall? I am considering Stu's coils, but not soon.

Anyways, Hope my build info helps a bit.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I put the RRO kit on my better halfs Patriot.

While it accomplished the job, & hasn't presented any problems other than alignment shops not being able to figure out how to align it (if the computer doesn't tell them how to do it, they can't figure it out), the quality of the kit itself was poor.

I had to file out every hole on each spacer (looked like they were hand cut with a plasma cutter rather than on a CNC or with a drill - they all resembled sloppy triangles rather than circles), & there was something wrong with the threads on the upper rear arms (it's been a few years - don't remember the details, but they were a real pain in the butt to adjust when I installed them).

O'DubhGhaill

I would like to hear more about Stu's coils, as they seem the logical modification when carrying much gear and pulling a trailer. The RR lift uses the factory coils, which seem to compress quite easily with a load, negating the benefits of the lift with weight.

kojackJKU

The problem with the stu's coils, is you only get 1" of lift on the newer pats, you don't get any alignment parts as you do with the RRO, and its 3 times the price for just 4 coils. My RRO kit went on no issues, had it aligned without issue, and never had any problems with the quality of product. Yes, the stus will take trailering better, but will be jarring hard all other times while driving.

I have experienced both, and I would keep the fdII springs, if you don't have them, get them. and use the RRO kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach