Anybody else want a small USEABLE 4X4?

nickw

Adventurer
From a manufacturing standpoint I disagree. Most manufacturers have everything on hand to produce this. All Jeep needs to do is offer the Gladiator in a stripped sport model and they could easily be in the 35K range. Nissan, Toyota, GM and Ford all have base model trucks near 20K throw a transfer case and front diff you're still less than 30K. I will admit, the market would probably not support it though.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
It's never that easy. Lancruisers are made in Japan on an assembly line that supports it. They would need to invest $$ if they planned to produce here, which would be amortized over a very low production run, driving up the cost. Diesel engines are also expensive, several thousand premium. Those would need to be shipped in, adding $$....again, amortized over low production run.

6gun

It's never that easy. Lancruisers are made in Japan on an assembly line that supports it. They would need to invest $$ if they planned to produce here, which would be amortized over a very low production run, driving up the cost. Diesel engines are also expensive, several thousand premium. Those would need to be shipped in, adding $$....again, amortized over low production run.
You literally ignored everything I pointed out! You have failed the reading comprehension exercise for the day. Nowhere did I mention Landcruisers or diesels in the quote.

nickw

Adventurer
You literally ignored everything I pointed out! You have failed the reading comprehension exercise for the day. Nowhere did I mention Landcruisers or diesels in the quote.

LOL, ok proffessor.

The only base model small truck Toyota has is the 70 series that meets the criteria posted. You want them to design something different just for this small niche?

What base model truck does Toyota offer that you'd "modify"? For that matter, what would any manuf have that meets the baseline requirement to upfit?

Excercises stuff has little to do with actual component cost but more to do with economies of scale and supple chain support....none of which exists.

Cool in theory, but not feasable.

6gun

A stripped Tacoma/Frontier/Ranger/Colorado/Gladiator with 5spd would be close with very little effort from manufacturer and much cheaper than the bloated "Super off road/luxury package" that drives the price to twice what I owe on my modest, solid built home. I don't need a super computer to tell me that I'm backing into something, I need a bumper that won't fall off when I do!

Reactions: WVI

nickw

Adventurer
A stripped Tacoma/Frontier/Ranger/Colorado/Gladiator with 5spd would be close with very little effort from manufacturer and much cheaper than the bloated "Super off road/luxury package" that drives the price to twice what I owe on my modest, solid built home. I don't need a super computer to tell me that I'm backing into something, I need a bumper that won't fall off when I do!

Up until 2016 Toyota made exactly that. A base Tacoma, 4 cyl, 5 spd, vinyl floor, cloth seats, 4wd with no fancy electronics...in single cab too. Nobody bought them, they were low $20s.

Nissan still makes what you are after.

phsycle

Adventurer
Up until 2016 Toyota made exactly that. A base Tacoma, 4 cyl, 5 spd, vinyl floor, cloth seats, 4wd with no fancy electronics...in single cab too. Nobody bought them, they were low $20s.

Nissan still makes what you are after.
Yup. People here clamor about something like a 1st gen Pickup or Ranger and think it’ll be a wild success because THEY want it. There is a reason why Toyota nixed the regular cab, along with most other manufacturers.
If people want a small off-roader, they’ll go get a UTV.

6gun

Yup. People here clamor about something like a 1st gen Pickup or Ranger and think it’ll be a wild success because THEY want it. There is a reason why Toyota nixed the regular cab, along with most other manufacturers.
If people want a small off-roader, they’ll go get a UTV.
The kind of people who want this kind of truck want it to keep for 10yrs or more, not buy a new one every 2-3 years. I haven't bought a new truck since 92 and since I can't get what I want I probably never will again. Oh well, no big deal. I'll probably refurb the 83 and get it ready for another 36 years or so.

phsycle

Adventurer
The kind of people who want this kind of truck want it to keep for 10yrs or more, not buy a new one every 2-3 years. I haven't bought a new truck since 92 and since I can't get what I want I probably never will again. Oh well, no big deal. I'll probably refurb the 83 and get it ready for another 36 years or so.

That’s true too. But maybe because those people can’t get a “new” versions of the compact trucks? But even if there were ones available, buyer base would make up a very very small percentage of the market. Which means, 1) it won’t be profitable and 2) cost would be insanely high—which means most people would just refurb an 83.
Me personally, I’ll stick with a UTV.

85_Ranger4x4

That’s true too. But maybe because those people can’t get a “new” versions of the compact trucks? But even if there were ones available, buyer base would make up a very very small percentage of the market. Which means, 1) it won’t be profitable and 2) cost would be insanely high—which means most people would just refurb an 83.
Me personally, I’ll stick with a UTV.

I would rather Dynacorn would start repopping old compact truck bodies than anyone making new whole trucks.

Even at their best they would still have to screw up what made the old compacts great.

phsycle

Adventurer
I would rather Dynacorn would start repopping old compact truck bodies than anyone making new whole trucks.

Even at their best they would still have to screw up what made the old compacts great.

Would be cool but cost is still the issue. Yeah, yeah, based on your posts, you’re a very competent mechanic. So it’d make sense for 20 of you out there with the know how to make it financially worthwhile. Not to wanna be pretend mechanics like me.

This article pretty much sums up the General opinion of the masses.

For the record, I’d love a Jimny.

85_Ranger4x4

Would be cool but cost is still the issue. Yeah, yeah, based on your posts, you’re a very competent mechanic. So it’d make sense for 20 of you out there with the know how to make it financially worthwhile. Not to wanna be pretend mechanics like me.

This article pretty much sums up the General opinion of the masses.

For the record, I’d love a Jimny.

Dynacorn does make early Bronco bodies so there must be something of a demand for new old trucks.

nickw

Adventurer
Dynacorn does make early Bronco bodies so there must be something of a demand for new old trucks.
There absolutely is demand, Icon and a couple others build them using new or remanufactured bodies and unless you got $150k cash, you aren't touching them. They are made with modest parts, GM crate engines, auto trans, D44 axles, 33s, etc....but labor and overhead to build these niche rigs just doesnt benefit most of us.

85_Ranger4x4

There absolutely is demand, Icon and a couple others build them using new or remanufactured bodies and unless you got $150k cash, you aren't touching them. They are made with modest parts, GM crate engines, auto trans, D44 axles, 33s, etc....but labor and overhead to build these niche rigs just doesnt benefit most of us.

It isn't really rocket science to do a cab swap. People retub CJ Jeeps all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl