Anyone drive the new Wrangler yet?

jgolden

Adventurer
Well, it's August and the new Wranglers are on the dealer lots. Has anyone driven a 2012 JK. What's the verdict?

Frank

Explorer
I stopped and looked at one. A JKU Sahara with Leather stickered at $37k. At that price, I'll wait until 2013 and I can get a used one. Id cringe at a sticker of a JKU Rubicon

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I have driven a '11 Grand Cherokee with the same engine/tranny combo and have now a '12 JKUR on order. I did not have a chance to drive an actual '12 JK yet.

I'm excited about the new engine. Not that powerful off the line, I was almost disappointed at first, but once you hit 5 to 10mph, the engine really starts coming to its own and pulls nicely up to 80mph. The engine still had lots of power left, but that was plenty fast enough for me in a 65mph zone. Also no downshifting on the smallest hills like with the 3.8 and the old 4 speed tranny. Engine felt stronger than the 4.7 V8 I had in the heavy Jeep Commander. I'm excited.

LUISJG

Explorer
I purchased both 2011 jku and a 2011 grand cherokee.
having both ,I can tell you that the engine on the grand cherokee is a lot better engine
more power,more fuel eficiency, .day and night diference.

I dont think anyone will regret buying the new 2012 jku

I agree with the swiss, it feels like an 8 cilinder

schmugboy

Observer
I would love to test drive one to see if it is better than my 09', but I would probably buy one, then have to sleep in it after my wife kicked me out of the house. So i'm stuck with my 09' until it falls apart or gets totaled.
Congrats to anyone that can get a new one, hopefully you enjoy it.

Our 2012 JKU Sahara shipped yesterday. Been driving the 2011 JK Rubicon since May. Both manual, 3.73s on the JKU - 4.10s on the JK.

Once we take delivery of the JKU I will post a comparison... soon I hope.

We are still waiting to see what the Max Tow got us. Last we were told, the order system was wrong and the 3.73 gears do not come with the Tow package, only the Max Tow. The dealer and his rep are frustrated that they can not get a definitive answer from Jeep. But it is starting to look like you want to order both packages tho that seems odd the way they are listed in the system.

orangeTJ

Explorer
YES, I drove one while in SLC, Utah last week. I like the way the transmission can be operated in "manual mode", much like the Allison trans in my Silverado Duramax/Allison combo can be operated.

x32792

Adventurer

Posted by Bronsonbull

Jesus engine? Maybe not, but I gotta say that the first 300 miles driving my 2012 JKU auto with 3.21 gears has made me a believer. The 5 spd tranny and Pentastar V6 seem to be a match made in heaven and a huge leap forward for auto JKUs. So far my impression has been...the new engine
and tranny live up to the hype. Incredibly smooth with a nice amount of power. Drives great in the city and highway. Noticeable difference between this and the 3.8L autos. I can only imagine different gears and a manual trans make it that much better. Nice job Chrysler. Just in time for our next economic collapse

Anyone out there with a 2012 that is not impressed??

==

Posted by Up Hill Bill

I agree completely! After 6 days of break-in driving - I could never have imagined it would be this sweet a driver. Without any doubt, my 2012 JKU Rubi handles better, and has more 'pep' than my V8 GC or 4.0L I6 Cherokee did. The pairing of Pentastar and W5A580 is a total grand slam, IMO!
Delivered: 8/4/11

==

How many gear ratios are offered in the 2012 Rubicons with automatic transmission? 4.10, 3.21 and 3.73?

Last edited:
Having a 2011 JK Rubicon (4.10s) and now a 2012 JKU Sahara (3.73s) - both manual - the new engine is more powerful and a way better fit for the Jeep but I would not say that it is a "Holy Sh%*" improvement.

If you are in the market for a new Jeep you will like the 3.6 over the 3.8. However, I can't see trading up if you have your current Jeep built up the way you like just for this engine.

Interesting ground clearance issue from the low hanging crazy twist in the (front) exhaust

exhaust.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Having just bought a '11 Rubicon I am going to NOT drive the '12. Even if it is tha much better, the '12 was going to cost $11,000 more than the '11 according to my dealer. (We got a killer deal on the '11!). Seeing as the Ripp supercharger adds +/- 100 rear wheel hp, and costs $4800ish, I think I will eventually go that route if it becomes "necessary"... To those of you that buy '12s... enjoy!

x32792

Adventurer
Thank You OverlandChronicles

Thank you for you input and heads-up on the exhaust...Is this low hang exhaust twist going to be the first thing you hit with a rock on the trail?

Thank you for you input and heads-up on the exhaust...Is this low hang exhaust twist going to be the first thing you hit with a rock on the trail?

I would say yes it will get hit if tire placement is not dead on.

Our JKU is my lady's new DD - she has no plans to wheel it. All she wants to add is AEV's Black Savegre Wheels and remove the silver bumper overlays.

The Max Tow package does not come with the anti-sway but has the 3.73s.
The Tow package has anti-sway and 3.21s.

Dealer is still confused even after contacting his rep. But it looks like the Tow package + a 3.73 gear upgrade cost the same as the Max Tow and gives you the anti-sway.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
...it looks like the Tow package + a 3.73 gear upgrade cost the same as the Max Tow and gives you the anti-sway.

That's a rip.

I think I'd still want deeper gears than 3.73. The JKU begs for 35s.
The question with the new engine will be, 4.56 or 4.88 for an automatic? Rubi owners with 4.10s and stickshifts will probably be happy with 35s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven