Anyone drive the new Wrangler yet?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Doesn't the Rubicon Auto now come with 3.73 gears stock? I think 4.10 are an option.
Manual Rubicons have 4.10 gears still, but the 6th gear ratio changed a bit to .7X

YES, I drove one while in SLC, Utah last week. I like the way the transmission can be operated in "manual mode", much like the Allison trans in my Silverado Duramax/Allison combo can be operated.

I don't understand what you mean by that. You mean to shift an automatic from 1 through 2 to 3 or drive manually?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The new automatic has an auto-stick/tiptronic style function. There is no 1,2,3,4 position on the new shifter. You tap the lever left or right to select gears.

My understanding is that it only limits the highest available gear. You can lock out higher gears, like overdrive for instance, but you can't start in 2nd or anything. You can also hold the lever over and it will downshift to the lowest possible gear for engine braking.

The new automatic has an auto-stick/tiptronic style function. There is no 1,2,3,4 position on the new shifter. You tap the lever left or right to select gears.

My understanding is that it only limits the highest available gear. You can lock out higher gears, like overdrive for instance, but you can't start in 2nd or anything. You can also hold the lever over and it will downshift to the lowest possible gear for engine braking.

Oh, THAT. Yes, I drove one of those in a Patriot while waiting for my Wrangler to be readied.

Doesn't the Rubicon Auto now come with 3.73 gears stock? I think 4.10 are an option.
Manual Rubicons have 4.10 gears still, but the 6th gear ratio changed a bit to .7X

When we ordered Rubicons auto and manual were 4.10s all other models were 3.21s with a 3.73 upgrade option. Could have changed since the system was not totally up to date when we ordered.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This.....

There are some changes to the axle gearing too. Axle gears include 3.21 (standard), 3.73 (optional, standard on Rubicon with auto tranny), and 4.10 (standard on Rubicon with a manual tranny, optional for Rubicon auto). So 2012 will be the first time the Rubicon will come with 3.73 gears standard in some cases.

Read more: http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtest...gler_jk_pentastar_v6/index.html#ixzz1VxyppT4g

Don't know for sure though. I did hear that the 4.10s where a no cost option during the earlier ordering? Now its like $50. ( Rubicon automatics ).

comac90

Observer
When we ordered Rubicons auto and manual were 4.10s all other models were 3.21s with a 3.73 upgrade option. Could have changed since the system was not totally up to date when we ordered.

Rubicon Manuals come with 4.10s. Rubicon autos come with 3.73s, but 4.10s are a $50 option. And, yes, there was an error in the system before July 7 that didn't show the option. Chrysler scrambled and converted all the autos to 4.10 - which actually caused some issues since some actually "wanted" 3.73s. Those that wanted 3.73s had to get last minute changes made through dealer reps - sounds like it was a mess.

comac90

Observer

Correct.

T

comac90

Observer
Comac90,

Did you get manual or auto, 3.73 or 4.10 gears?

I got 4.10s and the auto ... when you crunch the numbers with the new auto tranny, the new auto is geared so low that 4.10s with 35s gives you the same final drive as 3.73s with the stock 32s.

....you see where I'm going with this. :D

It 'appears' there will be no need to re-gear with 35s. We'll see soon enough.

T

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I got 4.10s and the auto ... when you crunch the numbers with the new auto tranny, the new auto is geared so low that 4.10s with 35s gives you the same final drive as 3.73s with the stock 32s.

....you see where I'm going with this. :D

It 'appears' there will be no need to re-gear with 35s. We'll see soon enough.

T

Yup, that was basically why I asked :)

I hear the 2dr sport models with the small tires and 3.73 gears are rocket ships....

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Don't know this for gospel, but

I hear that you won't be able to correct the speedo and you can't change the diff. gear ratios, because of wheel speed/ring/pinion speed is part of the ECU programing--

Checkit out !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Source?

AEV listed the ProCal as still working on the 2012.

Edit: I did a little more digging, guess the procal will do tire size but not gearing. A new update to the procal is coming to correct the new issue.

Last edited:

Lygriek

Source?

AEV listed the ProCal as still working on the 2012.

Edit: I did a little more digging, guess the procal will do tire size but not gearing. A new update to the procal is coming to correct the new issue.

I was reading a while back on the JK forum I think, that the JK's don't really care what gears you have for the speedo as they get the signal directly from the ABS sensor which is not affected by the gearing to determine the speed, instead just getting it direct from the actual wheel(s). One of the other programing company's rep said that they only put it in the programmer to make people happy! LOL

I have about 1000 miles on my 2012 Rubicon Ultd with the manual and I love it! It's quick for a stock Jeep now, and drive effortlessly.

IMG_1141.JPG

comac90

Observer
:sombrero: Don't know this for gospel, but

I hear that you won't be able to correct the speedo and you can't change the diff. gear ratios, because of wheel speed/ring/pinion speed is part of the ECU programing--

Checkit out !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

From Jordan at AEV regarding the Procal and swapping lower gears -

Don't go changing gear ratios in your 2012s just yet. There are a couple modules that need to all have the correct gear ratio written in order to get out of first gear without throwing a P0731 DTC (Incorrect Gear Ratio).

The procal successfully updates one location but not the other. This issue is solved and we have new modules being programmed right now. We'll have them in mid-September or so.

If you have Procal (solo or from a kit) in the meantime as well as a 2012 vehicle, we'll work on an RMA process to swap out to the latest code once we release it. There will be more about that soon but it's not much of an issue.

If you are purchasing a new AEV suspension for a 2012 vehicle, please call us before you place the order so we know how to handle that without having to ship the procal back for service as soon as you get it.

We knew this issue was coming so we're already ahead of where we would be otherwise. If you can wait a couple weeks to regear your 2012 JK, we highly recommend it. If you have replaced the gears in your '12 and are now freaking out that you have a 10mph brick, let us know there may be a temporary solution.

T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven